Every baby deserves the best start in life, and we are committed to funding medical research and providing information to help more mums and dads have a healthy pregnancy and birth.
- Around 60,000 babies are born prematurely each year in the UK.
- In the UK, it is estimated that 1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss during pregnancy or birth.
Key statistics about pregnancy and loss in the UK
- 712,680 births were registered in 2019 (640,370 England & Wales; 49,863 Scotland; 22,447 Northern Ireland)
- There were 2,763 stillbirths in 2019 (2,522 England & Wales; 174 Scotland; 67 Northern Ireland)
- Approximately 60,000 babies were born prematurely in 2019
- An estimated 1 in 5 pregnancies ended in miscarriage (1 in 8 if we only count women who realised/reported the miscarriage)
- Estimates suggest there are 250,000 miscarriages every year in the UK, and around 11,000 emergency admissions for ectopic pregnancies
- There were 2,131 neonatal deaths in 2019
- 114 women died from mental health-related causes during or up to one year after pregnancy in the UK and Ireland in 2018
- 209 women died during or up to 6 weeks after pregnancy between 2015-2017 - this equates to 9.2 women per 100,000 who died due to causes associated with pregnancy during pregnancy or soon after.
If you would like to support our life-saving work, you can donate securely today.