A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 23 weeks. The main sign of a miscarriage is vaginal bleeding. This may be followed by cramping and pain in the lower abdomen.
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that develops in the fallopian tubes instead of in the womb. Sometimes an ectopic pregnancy can also develop in the abdominal cavity. An ectopic pregnancy is a serious, life-threatening condition and will end in miscarriage.
• As many as 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage.
• Among women who know they are pregnant, it is estimated that 1 in 6 pregnancies end in miscarriage.
• 1 in 4 women experience a miscarriage during their lifetimes. • The majority of miscarriages happen in the first trimester – over 80% of miscarriages occur before 12 weeks (which is why the Tommy’s National Miscarriage Centre’s research is dedicated to exploring the causes of early miscarriage)
• The overall risk of miscarriage under 12 weeks in known pregnancies is 1 in 5.
In women with a BMI over 30, the risk is 1 in 4.
• 1 in every 80-90 pregnancies is ectopic, which is around 12,000 pregnancies a year
• About 1 in 100 women in the UK experience recurrent miscarriages.
 Pfiefer S, Fritz M, Goldberg J, McClure RD, Thomas M, Widra E, Schattman G, Licht M, Collins J, Cedars M, Racowsky C, Davis O, Barnhart K, Gracia C, Catherine W, Rebar R, la Barbera A. Evaluation and Treatment of Recurrent Pregnancy Loss: A Committee Opinion. Fetility and Sterility. 2012;98(5): 1103-11.
 NHS, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/Pages/Introduction.aspx (accessed 21 July 2017)
 Source (accessed 21 July 2017)
 NHS cited figured. Accessible at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Ectopic-pregnancy (accessed 21 July 2017)
NCBI, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16905025 (accessed 21 July 2017)Hide details
Marty Hayes wrote about his experience of miscarriage after not knowing where else to turn; 'miscarriage isn’t really the thing you chat about down the pub, or with your mates.'
We need to break the silence around men and miscarriage so fathers do not feel guilty for showing their grief.
Nicola Sturgeon’s miscarriage revelation is just one of the reasons women should not be asked why they don’t have children
Women should not have to explain, or worse, defend their lack of children.
Alicia Vikander speaks out about her experience of playing a women who experiences two miscarriages in new film, The Light Between Two Oceans.