What is Sensathon?
Babies and toddlers were sponsored to complete up to 6 challenges at our Showtime extravaganza during May 2018. For many children this was their first ever sponsored event, so pretty special in its own right.
Why should you take part?
Sensathon is a fun and happy experience for all involved. But there’s an important reason behind it too. Every year, 1 in 4 women lose a baby during pregnancy or birth. Baby Sensory and Toddler Sense are committed to supporting Tommy’s in reducing this unacceptable statistic that devastates families up and down the country. So every mum, dad and child taking part will be helping babies who aren't as lucky. And every pound raised, will help to save babies’ lives. To find out more about Tommy’s life-saving work, please watch our video below:
How will the money be spent?
The money raised from Sensathon could enable 26,500 couples to attend a Tommy’s Research Centre and help them realise their dream of having a baby.
What were the challenges?
The 6 challenges that babies took on are:
- To perform the ‘Showtime’ sign with my Mummy or Daddy
- To shake my shaker 3 times during this activity
- To track the moving objects with my eyes
- To pop or blow 5 bubbles
- To stay on my tummy for the duration of the song (younger babies) or to move towards the textured materials before the end of the song
- To clap, point and sing ‘Happy Birthday’ with the ‘stars’.
The 5 challenges that toddlers took on are:
- To sign "Showtime" with Tod!
- To track the moving objects with my eyes
- To pop 10 bubbles with Tod!
- To jump up on my feet and show off my dancing moves!
- To clap, point and sing "Happy Birthday" with Tod and the 'stars'
Everyone taking part in Sensathon was encouraged to wear a fancy dress costume, so we pulled together some ideas in this downloadable guide.
Taking part in Sensathon and raising money is a huge achievement for a little one and so deserves some recognition. So Tommy's promised to send each fundraising baby and toddler a little memento of their first fundraising challenge.
For every participant who raised even just a pound received a prize:
- Raise more than £1 and receive a certificate to commemorate the event
- Raise more than £30 and receive a certificate and an exclusive Sensathon keyring
- Raise more than £100 and receive a certificate, a Sensathon keyring and a reversible glove puppet
- Raise more than £200 and receive a certificate, a keyring, a reversible glove puppet and a Sensathon goody bag
- Raise more than £1000 and receive a certificate, keyring, glove puppet, goody bag and a £50 high street shopping voucher
The highest fundraiser overall won a whopping £250 voucher from holidaycottages.co.uk (please see terms and conditions below)
*Amounts exclude gift aid. In order to be eligible for any fundraiser prizes offered by Tommy’s or WOW World Group, all donations must be received by 8 June 2018. Prizes and certificates will be posted out at the end of June 2018. Prizes are subject to availability so may differ from images shown.
Other fundraising ideas
If you don’t want to rely just on your social networks, there is a whole range of ways that you can raise money - from all the usual things like sitting in a bath of beans (if you fancy!), or organising a quiz night (if you have time!) But we know how busy parents with young children can be so we’ll share some ideas which won’t take too much organisation:
Get baking with your little one and sell them for a £1 donation at your work / partners work / school gates / book group.
Perhaps you could arrange something different at your usual toddler group (e.g. storytime, come in fancy dress, baby disco). Everyone who takes part makes a small donation.
Kiddy Kit Sale
Arrange a Kiddy Kit Sale to sell off that far-too-small-but-too-good-to-throw-away jumper or toys and raise money for Sensathon.
If you would like to contact the Sensathon team, please email them at [email protected]
If you are not already part of Baby Sensory or Toddler Sense classes and would still like to be involved in the next Sensathon, you can contact Tommy's at [email protected].
At WOW, they know how important the time you spend with your child is and how much you love watching your child on their own special journey. Their classes are designed to create not only incredible learning experiences for your child but also unique shared and treasured moments of joy and fun for you.
Their nationally award-winning WOW programmes for children bring the very best fully-accredited programmes to your neighbourhood. Their research means that each programme has been fully tested and trialled to bring both the WOW and the underlying developmental learning for children from birth to key Stage 1 in the safest way possible. And they do it just down the road!
For over 25 years, holidaycottages.co.uk have been providing a first class service to holiday property owners and customers, helping people find their perfect cottage in popular holiday destinations across the whole of the UK. holidaycottages.co.uk are proud to support the Tommy's Sensathon.