If you are ill, more glucose is released into your bloodstream and your body becomes resistant to insulin, which can mean a rise in your blood glucose levels, so you may need to take a higher dose of insulin.
Use the following ‘sick day rules’ to take extra care of your diabetes
- Call your healthcare team if you need help.
- Keep taking your insulin and/or other diabetes medications even if you don’t feel like eating. You might need more than usual.
- Test your blood glucose levels more often
- Stay well hydrated. Have lots of unsweetened drinks to avoid dehydration
- Eat little and often, and have carbohydrate-containing drinks if you cannot keep food down.