Type 1 or 2 diabetes and pregnancy: who will be involved in your care?

Different local areas have different arrangements for type 1 and 2 diabetes care in pregnancy, but your team will include specialists in a number of different areas.

You may have a lot of questions. Your key point of contact will usually be your diabetes midwife or the diabetes nurse specialist. Make sure you are clear who to contact and how to get hold of them. You should – ideally have a direct telephone number or email address. Check what days they work so that you are sure who to call to get the support you need, when you need it – especially in an emergency.

A specialist midwife

There may be a diabetes midwife or clinic lead midwife who will provide you with specialist support while you are pregnant and during and after the birth. This may be in addition to a community midwife.

An endocrinologist or diabetologist

A consultant doctor who specialises in diabetes

An obstetrician

A consultant doctor who specialises in pregnancy and birth

A diabetes nurse specialist

A nurse specialising in caring for people with diabetes

A dietician

A healthcare professional who can provide dietary advice

Kidney or eye specialists (nephrologist or opthalmologist)

If you need kidney or eye assessments or treatment these professionals will work alongside the other members of your healthcare team, such as your GP and your community midwife.

Also in this section

More sections on type 1 or 2 diabetes in pregnancy

    Last reviewed on September 1st, 2015. Next review date September 1st, 2017.

    Was this information useful?

    Yes No


    Please note that these comments are monitored but not answered by Tommy’s. Please call your GP or maternity unit if you have concerns about your health or your baby’s health.

    Your comment

    Add new comment