How do I get referred to a doctor who specialises in miscarriage?

The first step is to visit your GP and ask them to refer you to a specialist doctor at your local hospital.

The NHS follows guidance which is set out in NICE guidelines and these say that the GP should refer you after you have had three early miscarriages. Most doctors realise that this can cause considerable distress to women and many hospitals will investigate after two miscarriages. 

Talk to your GP, explain how you are feeling and ask to be referred as soon as possible.

After one miscarriage most women go on to have a healthy pregnancy so it is unlikely you will be referred for further investigation after one miscarriage.

Being referred to a Tommy's Centre

To be referred to the Tommy’s Centre for Miscarriage Research, ask to be referred to a named Tommy’s clinic when you visit your GP.

The clinics are based at the following sites:

The names of the leading clinicians at our clinics can be found here.

One of the benefits of doing this is that you will be offered entry into a research study which may trial the latest tests and/or treatments.

The Tommy's National Early Miscarriage Centre comprises a partnership of three universities: The University of Birmingham, The University of Warwick, and Imperial College London. The three sites will run specialist clinics enabling 24,000 women per year to access treatment and support and participate in Tommy’s research studies.



  1. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, Ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage: Diagnosis and initial management in early pregnancy. London NICE, 2012
  2. Macdonald S, Magill-Cuerden J, Mayes’ midwifery, Edinburgh Bailliere Tindall Elsevier, 2012
  3. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Early miscarriage: information for you, London RCOG, 2008. Also availabe at: (accessed 27 May 2014)
Hide details

    Last reviewed on August 1st, 2016. Next review date August 1st, 2019.

    Was this information useful?

    Yes No