If you drank only alcohol on social occasions with your friends before you got pregnant, try these tips.
1.) Widen your choice of alcohol-free drinks
- A non-alcoholic cocktail - try an orange sunset, which is grenadine syrup with pineapple juice and orange juice
- Alcohol-free wine or beer, but be aware that some of these can contain tiny amounts of alcohol so don't have too much
- A virgin Mary - tomato juice with added spices and seasoning
- Sparkling water or tonic with ice and lemon
- Iced fruit teas
- Traditional still lemonade
- Milkshakes made with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
- Yoghurt drinks.
2.) If you're going to a party, take your own favourite non-alcoholic drink so you're not tempted by alcohol.
3.) Avoid salty snacks. These will make you more thirsty and more likely to want a drink.
4.) Tell your family and friends about the possible effects of alcohol on your baby and ask them to support you when you don't drink.
5.) Meet your friends in a café instead of a pub or bar.
ℹLast reviewed on June 27th, 2017. Next review date June 27th, 2020.