Pregnancy news, 23/03/17
In a recent article in the Telegraph, Milli Hill discusses the messages that we hear about childbirth and the impact these have on women.
Milli, who is the founder of the Positive Birth Movement, says, ‘Most pregnant women are very scared of labour. But by putting all the focus on how painful it is, are we failing to give them the full picture? And in doing so, could we actually be making labour worse?’
In her article, Milli explains that she wanted to reconsider the idea that giving birth is non-stop agony.
‘Quite the opposite,’ she explains. ‘Many mums I’ve spoken to – in the time between contractions often feel incredibly strong, excited, or even euphoric.’
Milli continues, ‘I was curious. How much time in labour do we spend in pain, compared to the time between contractions? I did the maths, and the results were surprising. In an average eight hour labour, a woman can expect to be ‘in pain’ for only around 23 per cent of the time. The other 77 per cent is ‘pain free’.’
Our midwife Anna agrees, saying, 'When supporting women in labour so that they feel safe, women often slow their breathing, have a sip of water, continue with a trail of conversation or even doze between contractions.'
'We would never want to discourage women to have access to a safe space to de-brief and find support following a traumatic birthing experience. Labour and giving birth is a totally unique experience for every woman and her birthing partner, therefore we want women to know their options and not to feel under any pressure to ensure that this goes in a certain way. When preparing for childbirth, pain relief is only one element to this and does not need to be the focus. We would encourage women to keep an open mind and do what they feel is right for them at the time as labour unfolds.'
We recommend reading about the 5 positive ways to prepare for labour, attend antenatal classes and think about having a ‘birth wish list’ rather than a birth plan. Have a chat with your midwife too to discuss your thoughts and feelings. These all contribute to building your own ‘birth tool kit’ which will enable you to go into labour feeling strong in mind, and confident in your body’s abilities.
The singer experienced diastasis recti after the birth of her son.
When writing your birth plan you don’t think that having your midwife’s hand in your vagina for 90 minutes holding your baby would be on the list. But that’s what happened to Ms Facey.
Alex Jones talks about the early days of motherhood in her latest interview.
Huge congratulations to Sarra Hoy who is pregnant again after a difficult first pregnancy. Her son Callum was born 11 weeks premature which left Sarra unsure whether to venture 'down that road again’.
By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Mar 2017 - 09:05
Hi there, if you have missed a menstrual period, the best and only way to establish if you are pregnant or not, is to do a urine pregnancy test at home or at your GP surgery.
Having stomach pain, a head ache and finding it hard to sleep are not obviously signs of a pregnancy. Take care of yourself.
By Anonymous (not verified) on 25 Mar 2017 - 02:05
How u no wen u pregant with out doing a test because my belly pain me and my head and easy to sleep and tired