Calculate your daily caffeine intake
How much caffeine do you have a day?
- A can of cola has around 40mg of caffeine
- A mug of tea has around 75mg
- A bar of plain chocolate has around 25mg
- A cup of instant coffee has around 100mg
- A mug of filter coffee has around 140mg
- Energy drinks: a 250ml can has around 80mg.
If you drink sports drinks, remember check the amount of caffeine in these too. Some now have caffeine added.
What does 200mg of caffeine look like?
You will be reaching 200mg of caffeine with, for example:
- 2 bars of plain chocolate and one mug of filter coffee
- 2 mugs of tea and one can of cola.
Cutting down on caffeine
Caffeine is found naturally in some foods and drinks, such as tea and coffee. It is also added to some products such as energy drinks.
One study found that energy drinks, instant coffee and cola had the strongest links to pregnancy complications. It is best to try to avoid these during pregnancy and find replacements. Energy drinks and cola also contain lots of sugar, so it is good to limit these as part of a healthy diet.
Decaffeinated tea and coffee, fruit juice or water are all good choices if you are used to drinking a lot of caffeinated drinks.
Be aware that decaffeinated products still contain a very small amount of caffeine. The amount may vary, but it is still much lower than regular caffeinated products.
I found slowly weaning myself off caffeine and onto decaffeinated versions of tea and coffee was a good way to reduce and majorly decrease my intake. Now I don't even really miss the caffeine buzz.