Planning meals and snacks
The key to eating well is to have a variety of foods, as that is the best way of getting a range of nutrients.
- Start with the carbohydrate base.
- Will this be potato, pasta, rice, bread?
- What vegetables can you add?
- Fresh, frozen, canned or raw?
- What protein will you have?
- This could be eggs, fish, beans, nuts or meat or a meat alternative
£4 a day meal plan
First Steps Nutrition Trust suggest you can eat well for about £4 a day or £28 a week (costed in 2017). This calculation is based on being able to store foods and cook at home for more than one person. They have lots of ideas for how you can shop for around £28 a week. Here’s an example: