A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 23 weeks. The main sign of a miscarriage is vaginal bleeding. This may be followed by cramping and pain in the lower abdomen.An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that develops in the fallopian tubes instead of in the womb. Sometimes an ectopic pregnancy can also develop in the abdominal cavity. An ectopic pregnancy is a serious, life-threatening condition and will end in miscarriage.
- Among women who know they are pregnant, 1 in 6 pregnancies ends in miscarriage.
- 1 in 90 pregnancies in the UK are ectopic.
- The overall risk of miscarriage under 12 weeks in known pregnancies is 1 in 5. In women with a BMI over 30, the risk is 1 in 4.
- Up to 75% of miscarriages happen in the first trimester.
- About 1 in 100 women in the UK experience recurrent miscarriages.
- A UK-based study of 1,700 women reported that obese (BMI of 30-39.9) women had a significantly higher incidence of early and recurrent early miscarriages compared with age-matched women of normal normal weight in a control group. The researchers concluded that obesity is associated with increased risk of first-trimester and recurrent miscarriage.
- 1 in 5 women in the UK who experience miscarriage have anxiety levels similar to people attending psychiatric outpatient services.
- A third of women in the UK attending specialist clinics as a result of miscarriage are clinically depressed.
 NHS Choices. Miscarriage. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/Pages/Introduction.aspx (accessed 2 February 2016).
 NHS Choices. Ectopic pregnancy. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Ectopic-pregnancy/Pages/Introduction.aspx (accessed 2 February 2016).
 NHS Choices. Overweight and pregnant. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/overweight-pregnant.aspx (accessed 2 February 2016).
 About Health. What do miscarriage statistics really mean? Available at: http://miscarriage.about.com/od/riskfactors/a/miscarriage-statistics.htm (accessed 2 February 2016).
 NHS Choices. Miscarriage: causes. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Miscarriage/Pages/Causes.aspx (accessed 2 February 2016).
 Lashen H, Fear K, Sturdee DW. Obesity is associated with increased risk of first trimester and recurrent miscarriage: matched case–control study. Human Reproduction 2004;19(7):1644–6.
 Rai R, Regan L. Recurrent miscarriage. Lancet 2006;368(9535):601–11.Hide details
We are trying to find out if a simple procedure before conception could help prevent miscarriage. If so, this could be an easy way to encourage healthy pregnancy.
Tommy’s are helping to train the carers of the future, so that we can continue giving women the best pregnancy care possible.
We want to understand the different ways that women and their partners cope with miscarriage, so that we can better train doctors, nurses and midwives to provide the emotional support that is so important following loss.
We need to break the silence around men and miscarriage so fathers do not feel guilty for showing their grief.
Nicola Sturgeon’s miscarriage revelation is just one of the reasons women should not be asked why they don’t have children
Women should not have to explain, or worse, defend their lack of children.
Alicia Vikander speaks out about her experience of playing a women who experiences two miscarriages in new film, The Light Between Two Oceans.
Claire had her daughter, Edie, in November 2009. She then went on to have two miscarriages, one on Mothers’ Day, before delivering her rainbow baby, Louis, in January 2013.