Payroll Giving FAQ

Want to know about payroll giving? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.

How does Payroll Giving work?

It's very easy. You complete the Payroll Giving online form and this comes through to us. We make sure that your company operates a scheme that allows you to give us straight from your pay and we notify your payroll department that you would like to set up a regular donation to us in this way.

If you can't give to us through your pay as your company does not operate the scheme (some still don't!), then we will contact you to let you know.

If I decide to take part in Payroll Giving and fill out a form today, how long will it be before the first deduction is taken from my pay?

Usually it will start on the next payroll day, but if you are signing up towards the end of the month deductions are likely to start the next but one payroll day. 

How do I know that you have received my donation?

Your donation is very important to us and we will write to thank you. We may also send you updates on our work if you have indicated that you are happy to receive these. You will know the deduction has started as it will appear on your payslip.

Is there a minimum or maximum amount I have to give?

No, there's no upper or lower limit, however, we recommend that you give at least £5 gross (pre-tax) per month.

How is Payroll Giving different to a Direct Debit?

Payroll Giving is taken straight from your gross pay so there is no need for us to claim any tax back through Gift Aid, which saves us additional admin costs. If you are a 40% or 50% taxpayer, payroll giving is the only way we can automatically receive all your tax on a donation.

Can I stop giving when I want?

Yes, by notifying your payroll department directly.

What happens to my Payroll Giving deduction if I leave my job?

Payroll Giving automatically stops when you leave your job, but we hope that you continue to give to us at your next job. You will need to set this up again as your donation is not transferable.

Is there an administration fee?

Yes, but only a small one. Your employer will use a Payroll Giving Agent (like a charity bank) to distribute you and your colleagues monies. The Payroll Giving Agents are charities that need to make a smalll charge to cover their operating costs. Some employers pay this fee on your behalf so we receive your full donation.

If your employer doesn't pay the fee, the Payroll Giving Agent will deduct it from your donation before passing it on to us. This will be between a 2% and 4% charge.

I pay tax at the higher rate of 40% or 50%, how does this affect tax relief on payroll donations?

You will receive tax relief at the highest rate of tax you pay — each pound you give will generate £1.66 if you are the 40% or £2 if you are 50% tax payer.

Can I still give through my pension?

Yes, if you receive an occupational pension and your pension deducts tax through the PAYE system, you are still eligible for the scheme. Simply ask your occupational pension provider to make a donation from your pension before tax has been deducted.

What should I do if my employer doesn't currently have a scheme?

If you aren't sure that they do, fill in the form anyway and we will let you know if they don't and perhaps we can suggest to them that they introduce one.

Read more on Payroll Giving

  • A pregnant woman at work.

    Payroll Giving - a guide for employers

    There has never been a better time to join or promote Payroll Giving.

  • Baby partially covered by a blanket

    Giving through your pay

    Payroll Giving (sometimes known as Give As You Earn) is an easy way to make regular donations direct from your gross pay to Tommy's. It is easy and tax-efficient and actually costs you less whilst giving Tommy's more.

    Was this information useful?

    Yes No