Fundraising FAQs

There are a few simple guidelines to take into consideration when organising events for charity. If you’re in any doubt please contact us for advice.

What are the legal issues when running a raffle?

A raffle is a great way to raise money and raise awareness of our services. But there are some legal issues that need to be taken into consideration when planning your raffle.

Running a raffle on the day of your event
A raffle on the day of an event does not have to be registered with a local authority or gaming board. But you should take note of the following:

  1. The raffle should not include any cash prizes
  2. The sale and issue of tickets and the announcement of the winners must take place during the event
  3. The total sum of brought prizes on offer should not exceed £250 (but donated prizes in excess of
    £250 are acceptable)
  4. You can offer alcohol as a prize if your event is taking place on licensed premises

We recommend that you buy a book of cloakroom tickets. They can then either be sold individually or as a strip of five.

Pre-promoted raffles and lotteries
Individuals cannot promote and sell tickets in advance of the draw date.

Societies can do so by registering with a local authority. Please contact your local authority to register your raffle and request all relevant paperwork, including the Gambling Act 2005. You will also need to issue printed tickets in line with the Gambling Act terms and conditions. 

Each ticket and advertisement for your raffle must state the following:
• the price of a ticket – this should not exceed £2
• the name of the charity and the registration number
• that the lottery is registered with a local authority along with the name and address of the local authority
• the name and address of the promoter
• the date of the draw

Tickets can't be sold:
• to, or by anyone under 16
• in the street or house to house
• in any Licensed Betting Office or any premises used wholly or mainly for providing amusements withprizes and/or slot machines or in any bingo or gaming club

A ticket can only be sold when the money for the ticket is paid upfront and in full. There can be no refunds under any circumstances.

How do I go about getting raffle prizes donated?

Contact local businesses and offer to promote their involvement at your event if they donate a prize. You can also contact large companies, even multinationals. Supporters have told us they've had success getting prizes from companies such as Mattel. We can give you an official letter on headed paper that you can send people you are asking prizes from. Just email us here with details of your event to get a letter.

Do I need a licence to run an event?

You will need a licence from your local authority for an event that includes any of the following activites:
• provision of food and drink
• extended hours
• collecting money or selling goods in a public place
• sale of alcohol

Do I need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance is not a legal requirement. But ultimately it is you, the event organiser, who is liable if an accident occurs at your event. In order to decide whether or not you need public liability insurance for your event you should:
• check with the venue owner to see if your event is covered by the venue’s public liability insurance 
• complete a rigorous risk assessment of the event

You can use this template to help you identify the risks at your event and record how you will minimise those risks.

If you find that the risk assessment highlights areas of high risk then contact an insurance broker and ask them to advise the best form of public liability insurance to cover those risk areas.

If after the risk assessment you believe the danger at your event is minimal and you take the decision that they you do not require public liability insurance then a risk assessment will stand you in good stead should an accident happen.

What else do I need to consider?

If you are holding an event in a public place, ask permission from the landowner and notify the police.

Safety is an important aspect of any event, so please check facilities in advance including fire exits.

What do I need to have on posters and other printed materials?

The Tommy’s logo is a registered trademark and can only be used within certain guidelines, so please contact us on [email protected] before you use it on your printed materials. We have a specific version of the logo that we give to our supporters and we can supply it in whichever format you need.

Remember we can also provide posters with space to write your event details.

Please note that all images are usually copyrighted by their owners and you either require permission or must pay a fee to the image owner. Please ask us for images if you want to create a bespoke event poster and please do not "borrow" them from the internet or any other source without seeking the relevant permission from the owner.

Charity statement

Your printed materials/websites should include the statement:
‘All proceeds from the event will go to Tommy’s’
The Tommy’s registered charity number must also appear on all printed materials. This can be in small print and must appear as follows: ‘TOMMY’S is registered charity no 1060508 and SCO39280

    Was this information useful?

    Yes No