Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

13 weeks pregnant - all you need to know

Welcome to the second trimester of pregnancy, a trimester of growth where your bump will get bigger and you’ll start to feel your baby moving.

13 weeks infographic.

What does my baby look like in week 13?

Your baby is growing fast - and you may be too! You might hear their heartbeat for the first time at your antenatal appointments.

Your baby now weighs around 25g.

Although you won’t be feeling baby move just yet, they're dancing around inside you. As time goes on their jerky motions are turning into slower, more purposeful ones.

Your baby’s hands find their way to their mouth and sometimes they look like they might be yawning or breathing. At this stage your baby only sleeps for a few minutes at a time but later in pregnancy, they’ll start sleeping for longer stretches and you might even notice a pattern, or routine emerging.

Your baby’s ovaries or testes have developed inside their body and a tiny willy or penis is now forming where a bump was before.

Get weekly updates on your baby's development from our expert midwives straight to your inbox.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 13

Cravings?

Not all mums-to-be have cravings. If, however, you do - that’s normal. Cravings can be triggered by hormonal changes in your body affecting taste and smell. Also, sharp dips and peaks in your blood sugar levels can leave you hankering after sugary comfort foods.

These pregnancy snacks are great healthy options to get you through the day.

Take a look at our diet and nutrition guides on food swaps for a healthy pregnancy and how to have a balanced diet in pregnancy.

Feeling constipated or bloated?

Hormones can play havoc with your digestive system in pregnancy, leaving you constipated and bloated.

Do you have a headache? Perhaps you’re uffering from cramps, indigestion, dizziness, heartburn or swollen feet?

Here’s our guide to 10 common pregnancy complaints (and how to avoid them.)

What to do in week 13

Healthy eating

Having a balanced diet in pregnancy is important for you and your baby. Good nutrition will keep you healthy and help your baby grow and develop.

If you were struggling with sickness in your first trimester and this has now stopped, you may be feeling hungrier. Although you need to eat food that is good for you and your baby, you don't need to eat for two!

You only need to increase your calorie intake in the third trimester, and then, only by 200 calories a day.

Find out more about managing your weight in pregnancy.

Can I eat packaged salad during pregnancy?

If you buy prepared salad that is pre-washed, it's fine to eat as long as you make sure you keep it in the fridge and don't eat it after the use-by date.

Check the ingredients in any packaged salads you buy to make sure they don't contain foods you should avoid in pregnancy.

Staying active will give you energy

You may have felt a bit like sleeping more over the last couple of months - but hopefully those days are over. Now’s the time to get active again. It doesn’t have to be an organized exercise class, staying active by taking the stairs or walking to work, school or the shops really helps.

Being sedentary (sitting down a lot) in pregnancy increases your risks of complications so try to avoid this.

If you were active before pregnancy you can continue doing whatever you did before at a level that feels comfortable for you. Research shows that exercise is safe and healthy in pregnancy. Here’s our guide to staying active in pregnancy.

Your pelvic floor needs to be exercised for after the birth

If you haven’t already, this is a good time to start thinking about toning up your pelvic floor muscles.

Pregnancy and giving birth put a big strain on your pelvic floor - the more you can strengthen your muscles now, the better for the birth and after. Working these muscles will also help prevent you leaking wee when you laugh, sneeze or cough.

You could do a set of pelvic floor exercises every time you brush your teeth, wait for a bus or put the kettle on.

Have you told your manager you’re pregnant yet?

You don’t have to tell your boss that you’re pregnant until the 15th week before the week your baby is due. It may be a good idea to tell them sooner though, especially if you have a strenuous job or need lots of check-ups early in your pregnancy.

“I work for a small company and two other women had announced their pregnancies just before me so I was really worried about how my news would go down, but everyone was so supportive.”

Rachael, mum of one

Read more about working in pregnancy.

NHS Choices. You and your baby at 13–16 weeks pregnant, http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-weeks-13-14-15-16.aspx (Page last reviewed: 28/02/2017 Next review due: 28/02/20207)

Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Jonathan Cape

NICE (2008) Antenatal care for uncomplicated pregnancies,Clinical guideline [CG62] Last updated: January 2017. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/cg62

RCOG (2006) Recreational Exercise and Pregnancy: Information for you, London, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/recreational-exercise-and-pregnancy.pdf

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By felicia jonathan (not verified) on 9 Nov 2019 - 14:30

i am 13 weeks pregnant but fine it difficult to eat any soild food without vomiting , is it normal?

• By Sanghita (not verified) on 20 Oct 2019 - 15:57

Hi, i am 13weeks pregnant. My FTS came to be very high for T21. I am 37. What should i do?

Moreover, Since today morning, i am just feeling fine while till yesterday i was having a little cramp and feeling bloated. Today my belly looks completely flat and i am feeling fine except taht i feel like sleeping a lot. Is this normal?

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Sep 2019 - 06:31

Hi, I'm 13weeks pregnant. Morning sickness and fatigue are gone. But i still vomit in the morning after brushing once in a while. Done my first ultrasound and my baby is very active and fine.

• By Asandiso gugu (not verified) on 24 Nov 2019 - 13:57

I'm 13 weeks pregnant so I feel pain at the bottom of my stomach

• By Linn (not verified) on 9 Sep 2019 - 20:20

Hello,

I'm 13 weeks today. This morning I got up and started feeling hot, dizzy and my vision started to blur. I didn't faint but felt close to it and it was accompanied with intense anxiety. I dont usually suffer from it. Then at work today I was feeling confused and hot. Is this normal?

• By emily (not verified) on 5 Nov 2019 - 12:57

Normal for pregnancy but can easily be avoided. don’t get up too fast. Eat in bed before you get up. Make sure you are drinking A LOT of water and eat protein like eggs, cheese, milk, cereal. Check the back ingredients. I eat Greek yogurt in the morning or sometimes mini wheats and Raisin Bran. Cheese and crackers for snack and orange juice when I don’t feel well. I can’t stress the water. Drink a lot!

• By lizie (not verified) on 29 Aug 2019 - 13:29

I m 13weeks pregnancy had bleeding the 2nd month ultra sound showed movement at 6wks 5 days.adviced bed rest bleeding stopped in one week.advice

• By Sarah (not verified) on 22 Oct 2019 - 20:47

I'm 13 weeks and had this too. Midwife sent me to GP, GP referred me to the early pregnancy unit, the early pregnancy unit said that as long as it was very light and unless there was pain, I wouldn't need a scan as I had one less than a week ago. When I checked with my consultant obstetrician he said the same. At 13 weeks he said that (although its possible) it's highly unlikely to be a miscarriage. But if you're at all worried, get it checked. Better safe than sorry. I didnt believe that my baby was okay until I was reassured as much by a professional.

• By Cassy (not verified) on 22 Aug 2019 - 21:30

Hi I’m 13 weeks pregnant and it’s my first pregnancy, I’ve been eating a lot since week 6, now it’s getting worse I’m constantly hungry even after big meals and I only crave spicy or salty food especially meaty dishes. Should I be worried as my eating habit is abnormal to me.

• By Catherine (not verified) on 30 Jun 2019 - 23:09

I saw my dr just last week at 12 weeks baby’s heartbeat was 154 and she said everything looked fine. I’m having like a stretching feeling and some mild cramping and have had morning sickness. But two days ago the cramping and the morning sickness just stopped and I haven’t had it I. Two days. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks

• By Obiosa Chinwe (not verified) on 29 Jun 2019 - 08:10

I am 3months pregnant. Was having some symptoms before but now is just excessive urine and my face is very rough. Apart from dat.i don't get d symptoms I use to have

• By Esther (not verified) on 22 Jun 2019 - 13:52

Hi, am 13 weeks pregnant and I have been taking pregnacare plus drugs from 12 weeks, please how long will I continue to take the drugs and is there any other drugs I can add to it. Thanks

• By Annah (not verified) on 30 May 2019 - 09:19

I'm on week 13 without seeing any periods. No symptoms just stomach cramps, I'm so worried about this

• By Sara (not verified) on 13 May 2019 - 14:44

Had fever and all round flu symptoms for 1 whole day, next day woke up slightly better but still little feverish. Didn't take any medicine as everyone were forbidding me from having one. Is my baby safe ?

• By Larisa (not verified) on 26 Apr 2019 - 23:21

Hi i think i heve 13 weeks pregnancy so i am verry sick fell vomiting all day lond what i heve to do about

• By Sammy (not verified) on 26 Apr 2019 - 02:19

Hello. Im 13 weeks pregnant and been getting headaches since day one. It come and goes and some other days its just worse. Never drank any pain killers. Im scared that they will harm my child. Pls help

• By Brittany (not verified) on 2 Jul 2019 - 12:30

Did you ever figure out what to do with the painful headaches I get them all the time as well I'm 13 weeks pregnant and these headaches can be very painful sometimes what should I do

• By Sable (not verified) on 7 Jul 2019 - 10:59

Hi...I was told by my doctor that paracetamol is perfectly safe to take but to avoid tylenol and stuff. Hope this helps.

• By Shera (not verified) on 29 Aug 2019 - 02:38

Are you making sure that you stay hydrated? Hydration is a MAJOR key during your pregnancy and if you're not hydrated enough, baby will DEFINITELY let you know! Hope this helps

• By Mel (not verified) on 29 Aug 2019 - 07:03

Hey I had some too im currently 13 weeks and 6 days. It maybe dehydration. Pregnant women are to drink 2.3 leters per day (10cups fluid). Also ask your Dr, mine said Tylenol is fine. Cold cloth on the forehead, resting eyes in the dark or sleeping. Lightly massaging my head also helped. Also staying in cool weather. Our bodies overheat, sweat easily and its bad for both mom + baby. It can cause headaches.

• By Catherine Michael (not verified) on 25 Mar 2019 - 10:18

I am 13 weeks 3 days pregnant. I wasn't having any symptoms and decided to go for scan at 10 weeks 2 days. The result says, normal intrauterine cyesis. Preserved cardiac pulsation is seen within a bulky anteverted uterus. Please what does preserved cardiac pulsation mean because I am now 13 weeks 3 days and still feel no symptoms.

• By Catherine Michael (not verified) on 25 Mar 2019 - 10:16

• By Jess (not verified) on 23 Mar 2019 - 01:27

I’m 13 weeks pregnant but I’m measuring at 11wks 1day. And I’ve been bleeding mildly with no cramping. The baby has a strong heart beat and is very active. Should I be worried?

• By Eunice (not verified) on 21 Mar 2019 - 12:34

1. my name is Eunice, i am 13weeks 2 days pregnant... av been on folic acid tablet since 10weeks....my question is for how long will i keep using it?

2.when will i stop morning sickness of vomiting

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Mar 2019 - 13:09

Hi - Thank you for your message.
      It is advisable to take folic acid for a minimum of the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
      Most pregnancy related nausea and vomiting should start to ease off by 12 weeks. If you are finding it hard to cope, please contact your GP for advice and support.

• By Mary (not verified) on 6 Mar 2019 - 22:28

Hi there! I am 13 weeks along and I read that I should be sleeping on my side. I've had difficulty with chest pains since puberty, though, and sleeping for too long on either side makes me wake up in excruciating pain. What should I do about this? Is it safe to continue sleeping on my back?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2019 - 11:40

Hi - Thank you for your message.
      The advice is for the third trimester, so please try not to worry as you have just started your second trimester.
      Our advice is to go sleep on your side because research has shown that this is safer for baby. This includes night sleep and day time naps.
      Research has shown that in the third trimester (after 28 weeks of pregnancy) going to sleep on your back increases your risk of stillbirth. As the link has now been shown in four separate research trials, our advice is to go to sleep on your side in the third trimester because it is safer for your baby. The advice relates to any episode of sleep, including:

going to sleep at night
      returning to sleep after any night wakenings
      day time naps.
      We don’t want you to become anxious about this. If your pregnancy is uncomplicated your risk of stillbirth is low (1 in 200 babies are stillborn). Going to sleep on your side will make it even lower.

• By chama (not verified) on 6 Mar 2019 - 20:31

is it normal to be having evening sicknesses and vomiting..?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2019 - 11:49

Hi - Thank you for your message.
      Pregnancy sickness is often at its worst when you first wake up, which is why it is called morning sickness, but it can happen at any time of day.
      Some women find that they experience nausea and vomiting when they are tired - often in the evenings after work.

• By Flora (not verified) on 3 Sep 2019 - 11:23

Hi am 13 weeks pregnant but am bleeding will I lose my baby

• By Shae (not verified) on 17 Feb 2019 - 17:51

I'm 13 weeks now. I've lost 15lbs maybe more now because I have no appetite. I try to eat but it's no use. I'm normally hungry but when I try to force the void I get upset and vomits. I've tried all kinds of food. Is there anything I can do. Hopeless and worried.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Feb 2019 - 11:23

Hi Shae, Thank you for your comment.

It sounds like you have lost a lot of weight in early pregnancy due to your nausea and vomiting, and this really needs to be assessed. It can be very normal to experience pregnancy sickness but the important thing is to diagnose when you are loosing too much weight and running the risk of becoming dehydrated. You need to see your GP as soon as you can and tell them about the weight loss, they should check your urine for signs of dehydration. If you are, then you may need to have a visit to hospital for some intravenous fluids and be given medication to help with the sickness. This can be normal for some women but it is important that you receive the right treatment so that you can start to feel better and enjoy your pregnancy. Please see the GP as soon as possible. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 13 Oct 2019 - 01:59

Good advice

• By Frzn (not verified) on 18 Jan 2019 - 13:59

Hi. I have been having my periods for the last 4 months. But I have spotting between my periods and cramps too. My tummy looks big like a 13 week pregnancy and it also feels really hard when touched and poked. But I've never had any symptoms of pregnancy. But this spotting and big tummy is getting on my nerves. Please help !! What might it be ??

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Jan 2019 - 16:34

Hi Frzn
      I would advise that you discuss your symptoms with your Doctor-they may want to do a pregnancy test as part of any investigations but there could be other causes for the symptoms that you describe. Any abdominal swelling, discomfort or abnormal bleeding should always be investigated
      Take care

• By H (not verified) on 23 Dec 2018 - 23:34

I think I am around 13 weeks, growing tummy and symptoms of pregnancy, but no positive test yet. Seen a nurse and 2 doctors over the past two months but no one will help me get clarification. No period for two months now either and mental health getting worse with each passing week over it.

I have a doctor's appointment in three weeks with one that will hopefully listen to me, but I was wondering if there was any advice you could give me, please?

Thank you.

• By Evelyn Anim Darfour (not verified) on 4 Jul 2018 - 07:17

I am 13 weeks pregnant this week and from 1st I feel empty in the mornings , but still feel pregnancy symptoms .....

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2018 - 13:44

Hi Evelyn, Thank you for your comment.

It can be normal to start to feel a little better and more comfortable as you go into the 2nd trimester. As the placenta takes over, women say that they feel better and more like themselves. It could be that you are not as bloated as before and this is giving you the empty feeling. You haven't have any abdominal pain or bleeding and it is reassuring that you are still having pregnancy symptoms but if you are still worried then call your midwife or GP who will be able to reassure you. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Anna (not verified) on 21 Jul 2018 - 05:21

Empty? Like you feel there's no baby? That's normal! I felt the same but then had ultrasound and baby's good. You can't believe you're pregnant and not feel anything, right? Well, it's common! You can relax!

• By Sam (not verified) on 19 Jun 2018 - 11:37

Hi im 13 weeks and worries at my booking i was told i had high blood pressure and was told to make appointment to check my blood pressure again which it was still high ive been getting headaches and being sick aswell the midwife thinks i might have preeclampsia i thought you didn't get that till the end of your pregnancy. My blood preasure was 141/96 how will this affect my baby if i have got preeclampsia.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Jun 2018 - 16:51

Dear Sam,
      It would be very unlikely to have pre-eclampsia at this stage however you could have pregnancy induced hypertension, i.e high blood pressure by itself with no pre-eclampsia symptoms. It maybe that they will start you on some medication to control your blood pressure if it continues to be high. They may also want to keep an eye on your baby's growth too. Do speak with your midwife if you are worried about this.

• By Mandy (not verified) on 14 Jun 2018 - 22:50

Hi there,I'm at 12 week going to 13 and I have this terrible flu which goes with headaches and dizziness,I had a flu vaccine injection 2 weeks ago should this be a big concern?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Jun 2018 - 14:04

Hi Mandy, You are at greater risks of complications from flu if you are pregnant as you have a weakened immune system. Please see your GP or call 111 for advice. It can take at least 2 weeks from receiving the flu jab to full protection so it may be that you have been exposed to flu before you have immunity. Please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Ensure you have plenty of fluids so that you don't become dehydrated and consider taking paracetamol if you have a high fever as it can help to bring down a temperature. I hope you feel better soon x

• By KittyO (not verified) on 11 Jun 2018 - 21:43

My midwife has told me to stop taking all vitamins and supplements other than vit D at 12 weeks. I’m now 12 week and have been taking pregnacare complete which says I should use for whole pregnancy- what should I do. I can’t find vit D tablets anywhere in the dose she recommended, should I stop the pregnacare even without the vit D, where can I get the right dose? Worried the pregnacare may do harm but also that no vitamins will cause even worse problems. Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Jun 2018 - 11:22

Hi KiityO
      I am a little unsure why the midwife would tell you to stop taking pregnancy vitamins- they do no harm and are recommended to be taken throughout to help maintain and support a healthy diet and pregnancy. There may be a specific reason that she has suggested this to you, so it might be worth asking her the rationale as to why she has said this to you. Vitamin D, 10 micro-gram tablets is the recommended daily dose for pregnancy. Some pregnancy tablets contain this amount anyway, so check the label for ingredients. If it is less, you may need to consider buying vitamin D on top to make up the difference.
      If you wish to talk this through in more detail, feel free to call us on the pregnancyline.

• By ida (not verified) on 22 May 2018 - 16:29

how old is a baby?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 May 2018 - 10:25

Hi Ida, Thank you for your comment.
      It is difficult to understand what you are asking, if you can provide us with more information then we will be able to answer your question in more detail. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Carol (not verified) on 15 Apr 2018 - 20:17

Im 14 weeks and ive been sick from day one,i get morning sickness all day everyday, not forgetting the excessive salivation which has me carrying a spit cup everywhere i go. Im losing alot of weight and recently got hives all over my body, been hospitalized twice but nothing is helping me.the last visit to the doc i was diagnosed with hyperemisis gravidarum. Moms to be please look it up.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Apr 2018 - 16:46

Hi Carol, So sorry to hear this. We know how difficult Hyperemesis can be. For most women this resolves at around 12-14 weeks so I really hope this is so for you and that the rest of your pregnancy goes very well. Take good car of yourself.

• By Nikki (not verified) on 29 Mar 2018 - 02:07

Hi I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I have had 4 miscarriages before but a son before that I'm really nervous about all this. I want to make sure everything will be ok. I been to Dr and heard baby heartbeat at 8 and 12 weeks both being 161. I want to make sure that everything is ok. Would like to hear from someone else. Oh yeah I'm a high risk cus I'm 38 years old. It's just really nerve wracking because of what I have been through before. I will be 14 weeks on the 3rd of April