Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

5 weeks pregnant - all you need to know

It’s week five and your baby’s tiny face is already starting to form - the beginnings of a tiny nose and eyes are already taking shape.

Week 5 infographic

What does my baby look like?

Your tiny baby is 9mm, about the size of a little fingernail now.

Your baby’s hands and feet are still just little buds. Their skull bones close around their tiny, primitive brain.

The outer layer of the cushiony amniotic sac develops into the placenta. Its cells grow deep into the wall of your womb, creating a rich blood supply.

Your placenta will give your baby nutrients (food) and oxygen through their umbilical cord.

It has three vessels: One thick vessel carrying oxygenated blood and nutrients to the baby (they won’t breathe through their lungs until they're born - which is why waterbirths are safe), and two thinner vessels that carry blood containing waste-products back into your circulatory system.

The placenta is a remarkable lifeline that also keeps bacteria and viruses away from your baby.

Get weekly updates on your baby's development from our expert midwives straight to your inbox.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 5

Pickles and ice cream – all about cravings

Have you been having cravings? Or maybe you’ve taken a sudden dislike to one of your favourite foods? Cravings aren’t uncommon in pregnancy but don’t worry if you don’t get any, because that’s very normal too. Read about the 10 most-common pregnancy myths.

What to do in week 5

Choosing the best nutrition for you and your baby

You might find it hard to believe you are truly pregnant as you are unlikely to have seen a midwife yet, but it’s time to start looking after yourself and your baby. This week we’re looking at food and nutrition in pregnancy.

Your body is working hard to grow a baby but it’s also very efficient, which means there’s no need to ‘eat for two’. You won’t need any extra calories until your final trimester (and at that point you will only need an extra 200 calories a day – about half a sandwich). If you have morning sickness eating small meals often to keep your blood sugar levels steady.

Find out what 200 calories looks like.

Not doubling your calories will also help you manage your weight in pregnancy. Find out more about how much weight you may gain here.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet in pregnancy will give you more energy and ensure your baby gets all the nutrients it needs.

“I used to eat a lot of junk food, but when I was pregnant I took healthy snacks to work instead - fruit, yoghurts and almonds - and I drank a lot of water.”

Nadia, mum of one

Find out more about managing your weight in pregnancy.

There are certain vital supplements in pregnancy: make sure you take a folic acid supplement to help your baby’s neural tube develop, and vitamin D.

What foods are off limits?

Trying to remember all the dos and don’ts in pregnancy – like which foods to avoid - feels complicated, but don't worry, and don't be too concerned if you have eaten something that is on the list, the risk is small. Talk to your midwife if you can't stop worrying about it.

Read our tips to avoid food poisoning.

Vegetarian or vegan?

It’s fine to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet in pregnancy but make sure it is varied and includes all the food groups. Learn more about planning your vegetarian or vegan diet to ensure your baby gets enough vitamin B12, riboflavin, iron, zinc, calcium and iodine.

Cutting down on caffeine

Too much caffeine is harmful to a growing baby so it’s important to limit your intake to 200mg a day now that you’re pregnant. You might be surprised to learn that caffeine is not just found in coffee, but also in tea, chocolate and energy drinks! Decaffeinated tea and coffee, fruit juice or water are all good choices if you are used to drinking a lot of caffeinated drinks. Use our caffeine calculator to see how much caffine is in your diet.

1. Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Jonathan Cape
  2. BMJ (2008) Maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy and risk of fetal growth restriction: a large prospective observational study BMJ 2008; 337 :a2332
  3. NICE (2010)  Dietary interventions and physical activity interventions for weight management before, during and after pregnancy, Public health guidance 27, 2010

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By Preethi (not verified) on 11 Sep 2019 - 13:10

Hi, my pregnancy confirmed, today i visited hospital for checking, doctor said only sac is visible, why the baby heart beat not detecting in ultra sound scan, can i know chances to any problem.

previously i got missed miscarriage and aborted by the doctor because not identifying heart beat.

please give the your guidelines here.

• By Nikee y. Kopah (not verified) on 22 Sep 2019 - 21:03

I need an advice

• By Ben Nnadi (not verified) on 26 Aug 2019 - 15:54

My girlfriend is 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant according to the scan result. Please what is your best advice based on this issue?

• By Sarah (not verified) on 17 Jul 2019 - 00:27

Hello. I have been having pregnancy symptoms for the last 2 weeks. I had a period but only for 2 days with some spotting. I took 3 at home pregnancy tests all which came back negative and had a blood test done which was negative. Yet the ultrasound shows a gestational sac. Could I still be pregnant? Has anyone had this happen to them?

• By Sika (not verified) on 3 Jul 2019 - 12:24

Am 5 weeks pregnant i had some brownich discharges when i wipe only, went to doctor and saw gest sac but no heart beat, she gave prgesteron injection for 3 days and stay at home rest
      I also have mild pain which i cannot localize where that comes and goes

• By NS (not verified) on 25 Jul 2019 - 21:37

Your doctor should not be giving you progesterone injections as it has been shown that it does not reduce the risk of miscarriage.
      Mild generalized pain can be a good sign of implantation and uterus starting to expand.

• By Alisha (not verified) on 4 Jun 2019 - 05:37

8 days ago I took a pregnancy test and it came up positive. I took two more and the test showed that it was 1-2 weeks from conception. An app I have says that I would be 6 weeks and 3 days since the first day of my last period. I went to the doctors to confirm and she did a urine test which also came up positive she also got me to have a blood test which I still have not got the results from yet and I have a scan booked in for 2 weeks from now. At that time I found out I was pregnant I had tender breasts and lower abdominal cramps but in the last few days it’s like as if all my symptoms have gone away which is frightening. I have not experienced any bleeding but is this a sign that something could be wrong? I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or if I should go see my doctor.

• By Sandra (not verified) on 21 Jun 2019 - 12:35

Hi , I have the same i think experience. A week ago did pregnancy test it came up positive. 1 week before test I had all right symptoms but after test was done next day all signs disappeared. A week later started to have a light brown discharge and now I am waiting for tomorrow because my blood results will be back. Fingers crossed everything is fine with you and me too!
      Good luck!

• By Kasham (not verified) on 8 May 2019 - 08:41

Good morning M.W
      i was bleeding when i was 4 weeks. went for scan and i was given two weeks bed rest... during the first week i experienced back and abdominal pains for days that my abdominal skin was very hot when touched. the bleeding stopped and the pains this week which is my bed rest second week, am feeling as if am not pregnant. Having only little breast sore.

is my baby,safe please!

• By Hine (not verified) on 7 May 2019 - 23:21

Hi! Im 35 years old and PCOS. I did a transV and found out im 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant. There is gestational sac and yolk seen but no fetal pole or heartbeat. I also found out that i have retroverted uterus. I only feel bloated and breast tenderness.. no vomiting or neusea. Whenever i pee, i feel abdominal pain and it goes away after i lie down for a while. No bleeding but occasional crapms and back pain. I was given 2 more weeks to repeat the ultrasound. Im so worried becausw there is no fetal pole seen. Is it normal? The pain, is it normal as.well?
      Thank you in advance!

• By Patricia (not verified) on 12 May 2019 - 13:00

Am in kinda same situation as u cos I was bleeding since Thursday went for normal San n transv scan also they said gestational sac is there no York or pole so I've to wait 2 weeks for my other scan cos they said machine they used was like from 6 weeks on would so I am a panicking also but I go BK on 21 fingers crossed we find out we've tiny person growing as the bleed I have is only wen wipe so not bad but it's normal in pregancey so they told me as never happened with any of my 4 baby just with 5th so am scared

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 18 May 2019 - 12:06

Hi. May I know what happened when you go back to you OB. Were in the same case.

• By Edith (not verified) on 29 May 2019 - 21:50

I was at the ER today 5w2d and they also didn’t se fetal pole either am going back in a week and see what happens good luck to you.
      They also draw blood but I don’t know the results yet

• By Toy (not verified) on 31 May 2019 - 09:38

Firstly I am so so sorry to hear your sad news, my heart really goes out to you.
      You probably have a blighted ovum, A blighted ovum is a pregnancy where a sac and placenta grow, but a baby does not. It is also called an 'anembryonic pregnancy' as there is no embryo (developing baby). Because a blighted ovum still makes hormones, it can show up as a positive pregnancy test.
      Try to remain positive but be prepared that this time it may not happen for you.
      I wish you all the best I really do x

• By S (not verified) on 21 Apr 2019 - 23:21

Am Lizzie my last menses was on 20 March 2019 but this time I saw brown blood for two days from 18 April but it was very light and painless but I have been feeling twinges in my right side abdomen. Could this be pregnancy my body is warm and I usually ovulate very early on the fifth day of my cycle having 32 days

• By MissB (not verified) on 28 Mar 2019 - 18:14

Looking for some comfort . I was slightly bleeding and went for internal and external ultrasound two days ago but nothing was detected not even gestational sac. I am now bleeding on and off brown and slightly red but not too heavy as it only shows when I wipe not enough to reach the pantyliner. My hcg levels were 1500 Wednesday and going back tomorrow for more. Absolutely praying my baby is safe! I know some women bleed but I am so scared. They didn't seen anything has anyone experienced not being able to see anything at 5+2?? Please help

• By Mommy of soon t... (not verified) on 24 Apr 2019 - 12:31

Hi. I am having the exact same problems. I however am terrified that the baby is in my tubes. I have a tubal reversal surgery back in November and this is my first pregnancy since so I am a little worried. Let me know how you are feeling! Good luck with everything!

• By Amanda (not verified) on 25 Mar 2019 - 14:20

Hi I am a mother of 2 and I am experiencing abdominal pain. I am most likely 5 weeks pregnant. Is this normal or something to get an earlier appointment for?

• By Rose henry (not verified) on 14 Mar 2019 - 17:56

Am 30 and my period is late with one week did home test and blood test and it came out Negative,but my breast is teder and am having discharge just like I did in my two pregnancy, please what do I do am confused now

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Mar 2019 - 10:43

Hi Rose
      If you have still not seen your period, and your pregnancy tests are negative, then it is a good idea for you to visit your GP. They will review you and refer you to a gynae clinic if they are concerned about your symptoms. Take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Michelle (not verified) on 8 Mar 2019 - 08:56

I can't stop thinking and browsing for the same topics everyday. I have 3 children , before the last born I had an ectopic pregnancy so I considered my last born lucky. I have recently tested positive for pregnancy with two test and booked an immediate scan which showed nothing at all except for the thick lining and cysts . The tech booked another scan in 3 weeks and said it might be too early and asked if I had irregular cycles which I had . I am worried I am getting out of my mind. My partner said I must be positive but I am scared of another ectopic. I have only felft hot a lot and used to urinate a lot and constant hunger as well as my breast was a bit sensitive nipples felt like as if a razor was over it but it's all gone. Nipples and breast don't feel anything. No vomit and nausea but with all my pregnancies I had nausea and vomiting. I just don't feel pregnant although I feel bloated and gassy. I don't have pain nor spotting. I have had wet panties like watery discharge but that is all. It seems like it stopped as well. I am only due for second scan on the 22 March I am worried sick. Any advice please?

• By Claire (not verified) on 17 Mar 2019 - 14:25

HELP. I am a mlther of 4 sons. I am 46 years of age i had my last period on the 8 febuary 2019 . Which i had the marina coil removed end of January 2019. The problem I have is . I still have had no periode i have taken many pregnancy test all negertive. I have swollon boobs. Server Nausea ..and very tierd . I am having cramping pains on the left side my sromach its also swollon .
      Over the years I have had many misscarages over the years .
      I have to say i have had no bleeding
      I feel pregnat .. im just so confussed .I have never experienced this before .

I spoke to a private midwife she said maybe beacuse I fell pregnant later on in Febuary beginig of March ..But surely with all the up date home testing kits . Something would of showed . Pmease any advice would really be well appreciated.

Claire ♡x

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Mar 2019 - 11:24

Hi Claire,
      It sounds like it would be a good idea to speak with your GP for a review to check for any underlying medical cause of your symptoms.

• By Rachel (not verified) on 26 Mar 2019 - 19:40

Hi Michelle, how did your 2nd scan go? I'm in the same boat as you and cannot focus on anything else. I had my first ultrasound today, and the gestational sac and yolk sac were present but not the embryo. They said I am anywhere from 5.5 weeks to 6 weeks but have to wait 2 more weeks for another ultrasound. What did you do pass the time?

• By sweetie (not verified) on 28 Feb 2019 - 10:22

hi,drs I have iui for 15days ago,my rt follicle is 18,18.5,19.and my husband sperm post wash 52per motility,iui is well done.now,IAM five week pregnant,my beta hcg was 30,doc told it's very low,it's not healthy pregnancy,so,stop all medicine (dhuphaston, progesterone, aspirin) IAM very confused,pl and me

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Feb 2019 - 12:16

Please am five weeks and 3 days pregnant and I have been experiencing blood flow for the past two days (brownish in colour with no clot. But not heivey I only used panty liners.plesea am scare is my baby save?
      Please help me out.this is my first time. And some abnormal pains and wast pains please help me

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Feb 2019 - 11:59

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an anxious time in this pregnancy. If you have not already then I would suggest to see your GP if you are having on going bleeding.

• By Ria (not verified) on 11 Feb 2019 - 16:25

Hi my lmp was on 31stdec. 28days regular cycle. I missed my periods. What is my Edd. I have no signs of pregnancy. My upt at home show negative today. Im anxious.

• By Jyothi (not verified) on 11 Feb 2019 - 01:15

Hi mam
      I am 5weeks pregnancy,now I am bleeding .it is not heavy bleeding but bleeding is continuing I went GA she gave progesterone injection and tablet.stil I am bleeding little.
      Is my baby is safe pls give me reply

• By Gwendolyn Mac (not verified) on 4 Feb 2019 - 20:02

Hi, am 26yrs and this is my second child to have.
      I had my period twice in Dec 2018, 6th was about 3 day and 28th was also 3days .which is making me confused about this pregnancy.
      I was feelings guilty of being pregnant especially abdominal pain and was also having some infection. On the 7th January 2019, I went for tests including hcg...the hch came negative unlike the infection it was reactive. I was put on medication for the reaction and some pain tabs. I took all my medication but the abdominal pain still didn't go away.

On the 24th January 2019, I had a home test and it was faintly positive. I repeated the test on the 27th again and I was more clearer. I went for an ultrasound on the 28th but nothing was found. Am confused pls help me understand off course am going for another scan in the next two weeks. Thanks

• By Anupa (not verified) on 21 Jan 2019 - 05:19

I was taken a chest x Ray before knowing I was pregnant . Now doctors are advising me not continue with this pregnancy as it may cause any birth defects to fetus , what should I do . I am very much confused.

• By Sash (not verified) on 21 Dec 2018 - 00:24

Hey this is my first pregnancy and I went to my OBGYN last week and she did her test for closing of the cervix and all. I did an ultrasound just minutes after but it was too small to be done on my tummy so the probe was inserted and a sac was seen but I was told there was a little bleeding but no alarm. I started bleeding the next day with some cramps and called my doctor and she said it was normal becaue it could be implantation bleeding but then it continued for 3 days with period-like cramps. The bleeding and cramps stopped but now I'm not sure if I'm still pregnant or I miscarried, doc says I have to wait 2 weeks before they can tell anything. Could the bleeding have been because of the insertion of the probe?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Jan 2019 - 11:57

Hi Sash,
      You will have likely been seen now and I really hope your pregnancy is continuing and all is well. The insertion of the probe would very unlikely be the cause of the bleeding you experienced, it sounds more like an implantation bleed. I hope things have settled down now and you are being well supported.

• By Jossy (not verified) on 6 Dec 2018 - 07:34

Am five weeks and four days pregnant. I went for an abdominal ultrascan and only the gestational sac was detected but no fetal found non cardiac activity seen. Am total confused

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Dec 2018 - 16:45

Hi Jossy,
      I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an anxious time in this pregnancy. It is difficult to know at the moment what is happening, and I would think that they have booked you in for another scan. At 5+4 gestation, it maybe a little early to be able to see a heartbeat so they need to wait until your baby is a bit bigger before they can see a heartbeat. If you have any pain or bleeding then do see your GP.

• By Lucy Roman (not verified) on 24 Nov 2018 - 04:29

Hi, am 5weeks gone and my breast suddenly stopped feeling tender, am not on any prenatal vitamins yet and I dnt know if that is the reason why. Should I start taking the vitamins now to replenish my body? Please
      help.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Nov 2018 - 11:30

No, Multi vitamins are not routinely recommended in pregnancy, but we do advise to take folic acid and vitamin D.
      Otherwise just try to maintain a healthy balanced diet and avoid smoking and alcohol. Take care

• By Holly (not verified) on 23 Nov 2018 - 23:51

Hi, I'm 5 weeks pregnant and my first initial midwife app wouldn't land until Jan now due to dates midwife is at my surgery, however I had a miscarriage in May and I feel very anxious with this pregnancy. Do you think I could be seen a little earlier for my first midwife app?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Nov 2018 - 11:27

Hi Holly, Keep following our weekly advice for early pregnancy including maintaining a good diet, stopping smoking and drinking and taking folic acid. There is no harm in asking whether your appointment can be brought forward but if this isn't possible, your blood tests and scan should be arranged by 12 weeks and your midwife will arrange anything else as soon as possible.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 26 Oct 2018 - 14:05

I am 41 and i am 10 days late and i am usually very regular. I took a digital cb test yesterday and it said pregnant. I i took the other regular cb test this morning that was in the package and it was negative. I am having pregnancy symptoms. Which test should i go by

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Oct 2018 - 11:59

Hi there
      I would recommend that you do another test (as it was now 3 days ago that you sent this message) and this should give you a clearer result. You will then need to go to your GP to confirm the pregnancy and get you referred for a midwife booking appointment and your ultrasound scan booked in for 12 weeks. Good luck

• By Cecilia fynn (not verified) on 21 Nov 2018 - 16:11

Thank you very much for all the information given. I will like to learn more from you.

• By Thuli N (not verified) on 26 Sep 2018 - 22:29

Hello, I've recently found out that I am pregnant...5 weeks now. But I'm worried with the severe stress that I'm having this could be affecting my baby. Can this kind of stress cause some sort of deformity on the baby. I'm really worried

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Sep 2018 - 15:54

Hi Thuli, Thank you for your comment.

It is always advisable to keep stress levels in pregnancy to a minimum but this is not always possible. Please be reassured that stress will not deforming your baby. What is important if that you find ways of managing your stress. Pregnancy and all the fluctuating hormones can have an effect on your mood so it is important to recognise if you are not coping. Speak to your family, friends or GP or midwife about how you are feeling, support is there if you need it, you just have to ask. If you would like more advice then please contact the Tommy's Midwives on [email protected] or call on 0800 0147 800 Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Asiah (not verified) on 21 Aug 2018 - 01:58

My period avg 31-34 days. My last cycle was 7/12 its now 8/20 and no af , no symptoms besides fatigue . When should i test, is my period even still considered late?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Aug 2018 - 11:08

Hi Asiah
      Waiting at least a week after a missed period may give you the most accurate result. Results may also be more accurate if you do the test first thing in the morning, when your urine is more concentrated. Urine home pregnancy tests are about 99% accurate.

• By Henna (not verified) on 5 Aug 2018 - 17:17

Hello. I always get my menses every month but they always come 8 days late. I don't know if this is counted as irregular. I got my positive preg tests last week. Last period date was 26th june. How many weeks do you suppose I am? I was on clomjd 50mg. Had been trying for 6 month. I got it confirmed and def pregnant. I get mild cramps that come and go. Is that normal? Sore boobs since last week. Haven't been for ultrasound yet.. Last week was super hungry all the time.. This week lil loss of appetite. Is all that normal?? When can I go for ultrasound?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Aug 2018 - 11:15

By your dates this would give a due date of 5 weeks 2 days but if you have a longer cycle you may be a week less than this. Most hospitals scan at 12 weeks but you should see your doctor to arrange your antenatal care as soon as possible. Also go to our information about advice once you are pregnant. We have good information about folic acid supplements and what to eat in pregnancy etc. Best wishes

• By Skyler (not verified) on 3 Aug 2018 - 08:25

I've been laying on my right side and I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I learned just last night that laying on your right side is bad and the left side is best. Do you think I've cause harm to the baby?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Aug 2018 - 15:45

Dear Skyler,
      Please do not worry at all, the advice about going to sleep on your side applies to when you are in your third trimester. Even then it can be either side, doesn't matter if it is left or right. Right now it does not matter how you sleep, which ever way is comfortable.