Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

16 weeks pregnant - all you need to know

Your baby is now about the size of a lemon.

16 weeks infographic.

What does my baby look like at week 16?

Did you feel a little flutter? Perhaps a bubbling sensation? This could be your baby moving! Don’t worry if you haven’t felt anything like this yet though - it’s still early days. Read more about baby's movements here.

Your baby’s nervous system continues to develop, and the muscles in their tiny limbs can flex. They can make a fist and might even grab and pull their umbilical cord.

If it’s your second pregnancy you might feel them sooner.

If you could see their face, you might be able to see them making facial expressions, like a frown or squint. They can’t control these facial muscles yet though.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 16

Varicose veins in pregnancy

Pregnancy hormones can make your veins stretch. This, together with the increased blood supply to your skin, can lead to varicose veins.

Cramping in your legs?

If you’re being kept awake at night by sudden sharp pains in your leg, try gently exercising your legs, ankles and feet during the day - and see if that prevents it.

Are you suffering from a headache, indigestion or faintness?

Here’s our guide to 10 common pregnancy complaints (and how to avoid them).

Don’t lie on your back after 16 weeks

After 16 weeks, lying - or exercising - on your back can sometimes cause low blood pressure and dizziness. Try to avoid lying on your back for long periods of time. If you do a class like yoga or pilates, simply let your instructor know so they can adapt exercises for you.

Find out more about what exercise you can do in pregnancy.

What to do in week 16

Relationships and pregnancy

You might be relieved that you have got this far. But you might also be thinking about how life may change for you and your relationships. If you’re in a relationship, take some time with your partner. When your baby is born, quality time alone together will be limited for a while.

If you’re feeling anxious about the pregnancy or any other issues it’s also worth taking some time out to talk about your feelings with someone close to you. Ask your midwife about any pregnancy-related concerns you might have. Alternatively you can call the Tommy's PregnancyLine and speak to one of the midwives on 0800 0147 800; or email us at midwife @tommys.org.

If you're struggling to cope with your feelings, tell your midwife or doctor how you feel.

You may also want to complete your pregnancy and post-birth wellbeing plan. Our tool is designed to help you think and talk about your mental wellbeing during and after pregnancy.

Second antenatal appointment

When you’re about 16 weeks pregnant, you’ll have a second antenatal appointment with your midwife to check baby size and fetal development. You may also get to listen to your baby’s heartbeat.

At this appointment, you may also get the results of any blood tests you had at your booking appointment.

“Hearing my baby’s heart beat was wonderful and so reassuring. I miscarried my first baby and the midwife explained that any time I was worried, we could have a listen in. This was very comforting to know.”

Sara, mum of two

At each antenatal appointment from now on your midwife will take your blood pressure and check a urine sample for signs of increased protein. These are ways to make sure you’re not at risk of developing pre-eclampsia, which is a serious pregnancy condition. They will also measure your baby, checking on growth.

Don't forget to bring your pregnancy notes with you.

NHS Choices . You and your baby at 13–16 weeks pregnant’, : http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-weeks-13-14-15-16.aspx (Page last reviewed: 28/02/2017  Next review due: 28/02/2020)

Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Johnathan Cape, p.170.

NICE (2008) Antenatal care for uncomplicated pregnancies,Clinical guideline [CG62] Last updated: January 2017. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/cg62

RCOG (2006) Recreational Exercise and Pregnancy: Information for you, London, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/recreational-exercise-and-pregnancy.pdf

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By Temtope (not verified) on 6 Sep 2019 - 19:47

When is my baby up going to start showing am at my 15weeks

• By MommyTo3 (not verified) on 19 Aug 2019 - 04:15

So I feel slight pains close to my lower rib area and when I or my SO place hand on opposite side the pain stops then appears there not too long after, so it possible this is baby. At my 16wk appt dr said my uterus was right in middle of belly button

• By Jennifer (not verified) on 16 Aug 2019 - 02:11

I am 16 weeks pregnant n felt my baby do a flip the day before i actually turned 16 weeks then days with no aggressive movement...is this normal? And she seems hidden since i feel small flutters now but not as strong as they were before....the flip was very noticable that day

• By Prenu (not verified) on 22 Jun 2019 - 15:39

Hi I'm in 16th week..Bt not heard heart beat & any movement..I'm worried a lot..bt my belly grown up..I did NT scan at 13 weeks..I have anterior placenta..I checked in internet it showed tat the one who hav anterior placenta it is too hard to find the baby's movement..it may take 20_24 weeks.. Is this true?

• By Firstbaby (not verified) on 11 Jun 2019 - 09:01

Hi, I’m 16 weeks tomorrow and I have been having these bad headaches nothing helps, my lower back and kinda on my butt have been hurting extremely bad to where I don’t wanna get up, my calf’s are getting sore, I keep having these pains where my ribs are that hurt so bad, then my boobs they will hurt like a very sharp pain and it almost makes me wanna cry. I’ve started recently feeling sick all the time, like throwing up but I can’t ever do it. I never felt like this in the first trimester. It’s my first kid, I’m highly terrified, and I never know what to do. I’m scared to keep taking something for the pain as I might effect the baby some how if I take so much. I may be over dramatic but I don’t know but I have never experienced this before.

• By Teenmom (not verified) on 6 Aug 2019 - 20:41

Me to back ache and sharp pain in boob

• By Witi (not verified) on 14 May 2019 - 12:09

Hello, I'm 16weeks 4days today yet my belly looks like my normal stomach, I'm so worried because I don't feel the baby move perhaps my Dr said on last prenatal appointment that my baby is still small. My burning question, when will my baby rise up above my uterus? Please advise

• By Jess (not verified) on 2 Jul 2019 - 14:09

Baby is in uterus, so will never be above it. Remember, every pregnancy is and feels different, and as long as your not cramping or bleeding, baby should be fine.

• By Jnae (not verified) on 3 Jul 2019 - 16:02

Same here

• By Adlin (not verified) on 2 May 2019 - 02:07

I’m 16 weeks pregnant now and been having lower abdominal cramps since week 13. Usually after walking or standing ie standing while cooking or shopping. I get dizzy too and feel better after sitting down and drinking lots of water. Is there anything I should be worried about?

• By First time mommy (not verified) on 1 Apr 2019 - 14:04

Hey I'd like to know when I conceived I the first day of my last was the 4th of December 2018 the last date was on the 7th of December 2018 I went to the clinic and according to the nurse I am 16 weeks pregnant this week on Wednesday

• By Kanchi (not verified) on 20 Feb 2019 - 18:50

I've got 1:64 Results for my quad test and today I've done my Iona test. But I'm so anxious about my results. And I'm so worried about if my baby is ok. 1: 64 means a very high ratio for DS?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Feb 2019 - 13:09

Hi Kanchi,
      Sorry to hear that you are having an anxious time in this pregnancy. A 1:64 screening result would be classed a a high risk result, however it is important to know this is just a screening tool, it is great that you had have the opportunity to have a further test which will give you more information. If you have any further questions or we can support you then please do be in touch, [email protected]
      Best wishes,

• By Michelle (not verified) on 19 Feb 2019 - 20:45

The hospital never gave me a 16 week appointment jus my first scan 3 months an my 20 week is this ok

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Feb 2019 - 14:04

Hi Michelle,

You should have a 16 week appointment so if this has not yet been arranged then please contact your midwife or antenatal clinic as soon as you can so that this can be booked for you. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Lilian (not verified) on 4 Jan 2019 - 22:01

Hi, I’m 16 weeks today but I felt nauseous weak throughout today, also been having back andwaist pain, please are these symptoms normal

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 12:52

Hi Lillian
      Thank you for your message. Nausea in pregnancy is not uncommon, however as you are also experiencing abdominal and back pain, you should contact your midwife/Dr to discuss and be seen.

• By Rita (not verified) on 30 May 2019 - 00:00

I have the sickle cell trait and this my 3rd kid at 30, I have a 11yr and a 7yr and I'm pregnant again I find this pregnancy is my most difficult at 16 3days pregnant my blood pressure is always through the roof so my doctor put me on baby aspirin today, and my back hurts and I caint stretch how I normally would because I felt a sharp pain in my lower stomach..I did a 3d ultra sound at 13 weeks it's a Girl and she weights 4oz so baby is a good healthy size. please pray for me moms doctor said I'm at Rick of preeclampsia ...

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 6 Aug 2019 - 13:27

Same here

• By Diana (not verified) on 20 Dec 2018 - 22:00

Hie I’m 16 weeks pregnant and I’m really worried because I’ve had a miscarriage before
      My next scan is mid January but before then how do I know my baby is still ok and alive

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Jan 2019 - 11:51

Hi Diana,
      It is completely understandable to be feeling worried and anxious in pregnancy after a miscarriage. You should have had a scan when you were about 11-14 weeks of pregnancy, if this was all OK, then the risk of miscarriage does fall significantly. It would be very early to be feeling baby's movements, and even if you have done, they will be very irregular and can go several days without feeling any and this is fine. You should also have a midwife appointment around this time too, if you have not had one then do contact your midwife to be seen. If you have any pain or bleeding or concerns then do contact your maternity unit for advice and support.

• By Steph (not verified) on 8 Jan 2019 - 00:57

I have had a lot of infections sinus infection had an antibiotic then chest infection had another antibiotic tonsillitis another antibiotic then another sinus infection another antibiotic,I got my baby heart beat last week but on an antibiotic again and very worried, doc said there safe and rang the midwife she said the same,

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 12:56

Hi Steph
      Sorry to hear you've been feeling so unwell. Pregnant women are more susceptible to infections - so its not uncommon that you've had a few. Antibiotics prescribed by your GP are considered safe to be taken in pregnancy, your GP is aware of your pregnancy and would've prescribed antibiotics that are safe in pregnancy.

• By Truelle (not verified) on 30 Oct 2018 - 19:33

My girl is 16weeks today she had pains and inflammation at night we worry if everything is alright pls give us any info u have on pregnancy n fibroid

• By Midwife @Tommys on 2 Nov 2018 - 11:03

Hi Truelle,
      Sorry to hear that your partner has been in pain, as I am sure you know fibroids can cause pain, however nay pain in pregnancy should be checked out therefore I would suggest that you contact your midwife or doctor for a review.

• By Lily (not verified) on 6 Aug 2018 - 22:02

Hello. I had a stillbirth at 38+6weeks 3 years ago. I'm 16 weeks today,the doctors said I will have to go in labour at no later than 37 weeks. When would be my due date exactly? Midwife wrote down 21st of January but it should be earlier than that if I go at 37 weeks. And how exactly is that going to happen? C-section? Or stimulation? My midwife haven't really explain all that to me, I'm quite curious

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Aug 2018 - 16:03

Hi Lily
      Congratulations on this pregnancy. It will be an anxious time for you after the loss of your baby 3 years ago. But your midwife and obstetric will be there to support you.
      Your due date is when you are 40 weeks pregnant. This date is worked out by using the date of the first day of your last period, your average cycle length and in relation to the ultrasound scan you had at 12 weeks.
      Your doctor/midwife will discuss this in detail with you further into your pregnancy. They may induce you with a pessary or gel to ripen the cervix, then they may break your waters. This is induction of labour- we have a web page on this if you want to check it out.

• By Aisha !! (not verified) on 3 Aug 2018 - 16:36

I m 16 weeks pregnant & doctor advised me to do anomalay scan tomarrow. I m so worried that isn’t it too earlier ??

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Aug 2018 - 10:11

In the UK the anomaly scan is done between 18 and 22 weeks.

• By Ankita (not verified) on 21 Jul 2018 - 23:51

My last period was on 30th March ,2018..Then in april and May I missed my periods .But in mid of May month I tested my pregnancy it was negative .Then on 2nd of june again I did test and it showed me positive .Being a PCOD patient I have had irregular periods.So I just want to know how far along I am pregnant.I am not getting any appointments yet and have not had my first scan .
      Please help
      Thanks in advance .

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Jul 2018 - 14:58

Hi Ankita
      The very most pregnant you could be is 16+5 days today going by your last menstrual period. However ,with the history you have given, it sounds like with you irregular periods, that you will be less than this when you go for your scan. It is hard to tell with your irregular cycles but the sonographer will measure your baby and give you a due date and current gestation based on this measurement.
      Good luck and enjoy your scan

• By Linzi (not verified) on 17 Jul 2018 - 11:17

Hi im 16 weeks and ive got high blood pressure its 166/100 i have been put on medication for it. But im still got really bad headache at the front of my head. I drink a lot of water and take pain killers but i can't cope with the headaches is there any thing i can do to stop them.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Jul 2018 - 12:35

Hi Linzi
      Having high blood pressure and that fact you are having really bad headaches is likely to be linked. I would like you to go to the maternity unit's triage/labour ward to be reviewed as soon as possible please. You may be experiencing early onset pre-eclampsia. You will need your urine checked,a midwife review, a doctor review, some bloods taking to check your liver function, urea and electrolytes, full blood count, and your c-reactive proteins too. This will help to indicate if you do have pre-eclampsia
      You may also be experiencing blurred or spots in your vision, pain under your right breast, and swelling on your hands, feet or face.
      It is really important that you are seen soon.

• By ff (not verified) on 27 Jun 2018 - 20:30

Hi, plz let me know how many appointments should a pregnant women have in 2nd trimester. I had one appointment at about 11weeks,an ultrsound at 13 week, some blood tests at 12 weeks.as i have to move to another country at about 23 weeks,so my gynae told me to have later checkups when i reach there.plz advice should i wait or have how many appointments in the 2nd trimester.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jun 2018 - 10:00

If this is your first baby then you would normally have a midwife appointment at 16 weeks, then your anomaly scan between 18-21 weeks and further midwife appointments at 25 and 28 weeks which include another blood test. 10 weeks would be too long without appointment and your anomaly scan is important to check that the baby is growing developing well so I would suggest to try and make some further appointments before you move.

• By Rachelle (not verified) on 5 Aug 2019 - 11:34

Is it normal to not feeling your baby move at 16 weeks for several days?

• By Natasha (not verified) on 9 Jun 2018 - 08:13

Hi. From what I have been reading I should be having another appointment at 16 weeks. I don’t have one until 18 weeks and my anomaly scan at 21 weeks, as scheduled by my midwife.
      Should I be having my appointment at 16 weeks instead of 18 weeks?
      I’m a first timer and probably overthink everything!
      Thanks.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Jun 2018 - 14:46

Hi Natasha, The 16 week appointment is a chance to see you and check that you are well and that all your blood tests have been reviewed and recorded. Your urine is checked and blood pressure recorded. It is a chance for you to ask any questions that you may have and to discuss booking antenatal classes. The size of your bump will be measured and many midwives will offer to listen to the fetal heart, (although this is not mandatory at 16 weeks). If you are anxious you could ask to bring your appointment forward but if you feel well, in most situations it is ok to leave this until 18 weeks. Best wishes and take care.

• By Orateng Mosokwe (not verified) on 16 May 2018 - 19:04

My girlfriend went to see her midwife today, the visit didn't go well as they struggled to hear the baby's heart beat. What could be the problem and do we need to worry?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 17 May 2018 - 13:37

Hi Orateng,

At 16 weeks is can be difficult to find a heartbeat at such an early gestation as the baby is so small and your midwife should of reassured you of this before attempting to find your baby's heartbeat. If the midwife thought that there may be a problem then she would of referred you to the hospital.
      If you are still worried then we would suggest that you call your community midwife again so that she can explain why she struggled to find it and if you need to be seen again, but in general it can be difficult to find a heartbeat so early. Hope this helps, take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Zoe (not verified) on 15 May 2018 - 13:03

I’m 16 weeks tomorrow and constantly wanting to go to wee.. I feel absolutely fine in myself but the pressure on my bladder makes me want to wee a lot! Is my uterus pressing on my bladder at this stage? I have a tiny bump so wonder whether things are moving up inside !

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 May 2018 - 14:45

Hi Zoe,
      Yes, your uterus may have grown to a size that puts some pressure on your bladder. However, to be on the safe side, i do also recommend that you go to your GP to have your urine dipped to make sure you do not have a UTI. UTI's can cause a sudden increase in frequency of urination, as well as itching, stinging, burning, pressure sensations. Your urine may look a normal colour, but it may also look very concentrated and or smelly.
      I would get your urine checked, if that is clear of infection, then it is simply down to the position of your uterus as you suggested. Please feel free to get in touch if we can be of any further assistance.
      Sophie, Tommy's Midwife

• By Lizette (not verified) on 17 May 2018 - 15:58

I will be 16weeks tomorrow and my first visit to the hospital was useless because I was ask to came back after 8weeks reason being that my Tommy was too tiny and nothing was heard and that day when Igot home, I felt my baby's position and after three of that sign, nothing showed up till this morning again. Am I safe?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 17 May 2018 - 16:14

Hi Lizette,
      It is difficult to understand what you are trying to explain but if you are worried about your baby's movements or anything in your pregnancy then we would recommend that you go back to the hospital and be checked over so that you can speak to a Dr or midwife and they can reassure about what is happening in your pregnancy. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By theresah (not verified) on 11 May 2018 - 14:30

can I take omega 3 medicine when my pregnant is 16 weeks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 May 2018 - 15:00

Hi Theresah,
      Omega 3 is often found in some pregnancy multivitamins, so it maybe worth checking that you are not already taking some. Whilst there is no evidence to suggest there is any risk taking it, its not advised by guidelines that you need to. We would advise to focus on a healthy balanced diet including fish, health oils and seeds/nuts.
      Tommy's midwives

• By silvia (not verified) on 11 May 2018 - 11:57

l saw my last period on 29th January and l want to know my due date. Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 May 2018 - 12:11

Hi Silvia,
      If you have a regular 28 day cycle then your due date would be about the 5th November, however by now you should have had a scan who will have given you a due date. If this has not happened then do contact your GP or midwife straight away to get one booked as soon as possible.
      Best wishes,
      Tommy's midwives

• By Leen (not verified) on 9 Apr 2018 - 13:17

Hi! My last period was December 25 last year.. and me and my husband had an unprotected sex January 5,2018 .. when was baby start to develop? or when exactly I got pregnant?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 10 Apr 2018 - 13:28

Hi Leen
      Using your last menstrual period date of 25/12/17, you are currently approx 15 weeks pregnant - but this is likely to change a little depending on your pregnancy scan dates. It is hard to know exactly when you conceived as sperm survives for up to 5 days. If you need to call us to speak to us about this in more detail, please do on 0800 0147800