First trimester: weeks 1 to 12

You're pregnant: congratulations! The first weeks of your pregnancy are a vital time as your body gets busy building a baby. How exciting!

Weeks 1-12 infographic

First trimester: key stages

The first trimester begins on the first day of your last period and lasts until the end of week 12. This means that by the time you know for sure you're pregnant, you might already be five or six weeks pregnant!

A lot happens during these first three months. The fertilised egg rapidly divides into layers of cells and implants in the wall of your womb where it carries on growing. These layers of cells become an embryo, which is what the baby is called at this stage.

During this trimester, your baby grows faster than at any other time. By six weeks, a heartbeat can usually be heard and by the end of week 12, your baby's bones, muscles and all the organs of the body have formed. At this point, your baby looks like a tiny human being and is now called a fetus. He or she will even be practising swallowing!

When am I due?

Find out your due date using our due date calculator!

When will I see a midwife?

Your first midwife appointment (also known as antenatal appointment) is the 'booking' appointment. This usually happens between week 8 and 10 of your pregnancy. Find out how to register with a midwife and when your appointments will be here.

Keeping your baby safe

There are some things that you can do during pregnancy that have an effect on your baby. Find out about them by clicking the link below.

Find the complete list of pregnancy dos and don'ts (and reasons why) here

Not sure whether you are pregnant?

Find out about the symptoms that mean you may be pregnant here.

Your physical and mental health in pregnancy

We also have lots of useful tips for coping with everyday pregnancy niggles. It’s common for women to experience symptoms such as morning sickness, cramp and indigestion during the first trimester.

Don't forget that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. It's normal to feel some anxiety and stress but it shouldn't be ongoing. If what you’re feeling isn’t normal for you, talk to your GP or midwife about it. They are there to help.

Exercise, such as yoga, has been shown to reduce anxiety and is a great way to stay active during your pregnancy, too.

Read more about mental wellbeing in pregnancy

Read more about diabetes and pregnancy

Read more about pregnancy with a high BMI

Read more about exercise and pregnancy

Read about the symptoms to look out for in pregnancy

Track your baby's development

Sign up to a free pregnancy email from our midwives to track your baby's development and give you reminders of all you need to know through the nine months of pregnancy. Click here to sign up.

Find out more about the first trimester

NHS Choices. Your pregnancy week by week http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-week-by-week.aspx#close (Page last reviewed: 28/02/2017 Next review due: 28/02/2020)

Macdonald S, Magill-Cuerden J (2012) Mayes’ Midwifery, 14th edition, London, Ballière Tindall

NICE (2008) Antenatal care for uncomplicated pregnancies, NICE Clinical Guidelines 62. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence http://publications.nice.org.uk/antenatal-care-cg62

Last reviewed on June 28th, 2018. Next review date June 28th, 2021.

Comments

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Apr 2018 - 12:02

According to your LMP your due date would be about the 11th of November, however when you have your scan at about 11-14 weeks, this will give you your official date which will be used for the rest of the pregnancy. This would make you about 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant today.
      Sorry to hear that you are being so unwell and throwing up, if you are unable to keep any food or water down then do speak with your GP for support and any anti sickness medication that maybe appropriate. Otherwise, if you can, just have sips of water and light snacks throughout the day and rest where you can.
      Best wishes, Tommy's midwives

• By Jaspreet Kaur (not verified) on 4 Apr 2018 - 15:54

My LP is 27th February 2018.I am pregnant.How many weeks are my now?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Apr 2018 - 11:57

Hi Jaspreet,
      According to the date you have given as your LMP, if you have a regular 28 day cycle then you are about 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant today. When you have your dating scan at about 11-14 weeks then this will give you your official due date.
      Best wishes, Tommy's midwives

• By Jennifer Keeler (not verified) on 3 Apr 2018 - 15:12

I normally have a 28-32 day cycle with a 4-5 day period (all month depending), this month I was 4 days late and my period only lasted 2 days. Combined with a lower back ache whichnis worse in the mornings and non-existant the rest of the day and constant bloating...could there be a chance I am pregnant?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Apr 2018 - 16:14

Hi Jennifer.
      If you have had unprotected intercourse, then it is entirely possible you could be pregnant.
      Although lower back pain and bloating are also common during your monthly cycle, it is also worth noting when this is different for you. Any cycle changes are worth investigating with your doctor, and if there is any concern , you can be referred to gynae outpatients for a review if you are not pregnant.
      All the best and feel free to get in touch privately via email [email protected] or call us on 08000147800

• By Marta (not verified) on 2 Apr 2018 - 06:51

I took my iud on 21 of February and I got my perio6a week later and now as 04/01/18 I'm pregnant. My question is how many weeks pregnant I'm i?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Apr 2018 - 16:08

Hi Marta
      The most pregnant you could be, using the dates of your IUD being removed is 4-5 weeks pregnant. But this may change when you attend your first scan as it will go by the measurements of your baby.
      If you need any further information, please feel free to email us privately on [email protected] or call us on 0800 0147800

• By Cherlene (not verified) on 1 Apr 2018 - 10:55

Good day to you. I have no idea should I consult Gynecologist at this moment or not because I am quite confused now. My situation as below.

My last period was on 15th February 2018 and last day on 21st February 2018. During March 2018 I have unprotected sex every week as I want to conceive a baby. But recently my stomach is keep cramping, feel nausea with certain smell, keep burping especially cannot eat too much as feel like bloating that cannot breath well, heartbeat is fast sometimes for no reason, frequent urination etc. All this symptoms seem like I am pregnant but I had taken the home pregnancy test for few times but it is negative.

On 17th March 2018, there is some brownish sticky things came out from my vaginal while I was showering. On 23rd March 2018 I have an unprotected sex again and there is some spotting when I went to toilet at night and having menstruation on next day morning which is on 24th March 2018. But this is very abnormal for me because it was only having 2 days heavy bleeding on 24th & 25th March 2018 with clotting on 24th night while showering - while pulled off the tampon. On 26th March 2018 morning my bleeding starts to reduce and getting lesser and there is no more bleeding throughout the whole night. On 27th & 28th March 2018 just have some spotting on and off on my panty liner and stopped spotting since 28th March afternoon till now. I had taken home pregnancy test again on 1st April 2018 morning once I wake up, but the result is still negative. So should I consult Gynecologist now or need to wait for another weeks to take the home pregnancy test again? Or any advise from you?

By the way, I am going to 33-year-old this year and I have a 8-year-old son.

Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks with regards.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Apr 2018 - 10:07

Hi Charlene
      It does not sound like you are currently pregnant as it sounds like you had a period. Periods can occasionally be different from what you are used to. If this happens for just one period at random, then it is fine, but if the pattern and type of period you have continues to be different, then it is sensible for you to be seen by a Gynecologist to ensure that everything is ok with you. It can take some time to conceive a pregnancy, so please don't worry that it hasn't happened just yet. For your peace of mind though, it might be sensible to go visit your GP and see if they feel that if you need referral to a gynecologist. If you need any more support or advice, please do call us or email us to go through this is more private in a private forum instead of a public page. Please take good care of yourself

• By jodie (not verified) on 31 Mar 2018 - 15:28

hi I'm not to sure on the date of my last period but I took a clear blue test and it came back with pregnant but 2-3 weeks but the booklet says 4-5 so how does that work how would I know when I conceived x

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Apr 2018 - 09:59

Hi Jodie
      Not knowing the date of the first day of your last period does make it very difficult to work out how many weeks pregnant you currently are. The pregnancy test detects HCG levels in your urine, it can't accurately show how many weeks pregnant you are. When you go for your first scan, they will be able to measure the baby and give you a current gestation and an estimated due date for birth. Please get in touch if we can support you any further. Please take care of yourself.
      Sophie, Tommy's Midwife

• By Ankush (not verified) on 30 Mar 2018 - 15:11

Hi ... meh last periods was in feb may be on 24th or 25th .... so can u please tell me which week is going on n wht wuld b due date ......
      Thankyou

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Apr 2018 - 09:55

Using your LMP of 25th Feb, you are approx 5 weeks pregnant today and would be due around the 2nd Dec 2018. But these dates may change slightly at your first scan depending on baby's measurements. Congratulations!
      If you need any more support or advice, please do get in touch!

• By Odel (not verified) on 29 Mar 2018 - 21:01

Hello, I'm 34yrs old and my LMP is Feb 16, G1P0. When could be my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Apr 2018 - 16:29

Hi Odel
      Using your LMP of Feb 16th, and presuming you have a regular cycle length of around 28 days , you would be due approx 23rd Nov 2018 This may change with your scan date according to your baby's growth measurements.
      Sophie, Tommy's Midwife

• By Alexis Miller (not verified) on 29 Mar 2018 - 17:30

The first day of my last period was February 21st. When I didn’t have my period a week after that, I decided to take a couple pee tests, all came back positive. Called the doctor and was scheduled for April 26 (9 week mark because I didn’t know how far along I was but guessed 4 weeks). Do you know, roughly, how far along I am?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Apr 2018 - 10:51

Hi Alexis
      Using your last menstrual period date of Feb 21st - you will be between 5-6 weeks pregnant today.
      This may be liable to change when you have your scan as the babys measurements will correlate to how many weeks you are and when your due date is likely to be.
      Congratulations!

• By Anna (not verified) on 28 Mar 2018 - 15:11

The first day of my last period was 12 of February of 2018 When would be my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 28 Mar 2018 - 15:14

Your due date would be 20th November 2018 although when you have your early scans this date may be changed by a few days.

• By Jiya (not verified) on 2 Apr 2018 - 19:15

The first day of my last period was 18 of February of 2018 When would be my due date?

• By Ches (not verified) on 25 Mar 2018 - 17:22

My last period was 4th feb 2018
      How many weeks am I now?
      Nd when am i due?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Mar 2018 - 15:04

You would be 7 weeks plus 2 days today and due date is 12/11 18.
      Sometimes these dates are altered slightly when you have your scan. Best wishes

• By Qayat (not verified) on 23 Mar 2018 - 12:40

My LMP was 29/12/2017 how many weeks pregnant am I n ma due date

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Mar 2018 - 13:02

Hi Qayat,
      If you have a regular 28 day cycle, then your due date will be about the 5th of October, however when you have your scan at about 11-13 weeks of pregnancy this will give you an official due date.
      Best wishes, Tommy's midwife.

• By Paula (not verified) on 23 Mar 2018 - 11:15

Hi my last period was 9th February can you help me work out my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Mar 2018 - 12:59

Hi Paula,
      If you have a regular 28 day cycle then your due date will be about the 16th November. When you have your dating scan at about 11-13 weeks of pregnancy, this will give you your official due date for the rest of the pregnancy.
      Best wishes, Tommy's midwife.

• By Nabina (not verified) on 22 Mar 2018 - 13:11

My last period is 31th jan 2018,, I have no idea how many week my pregnancy and due date

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Mar 2018 - 15:57

Hi Nabina, Thank you for your comment. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

If your LMP was on the 31st Jan then your are due around the 5th November 2018 so that would make you around 7 weeks today. Hope this helps, Take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Nafisa (not verified) on 21 Mar 2018 - 17:15

Hello, the first day of my last mp was 26th jan, how many weeks pregnant am i? Got confused when i had as scan on the 10th march and the doctor said i was 6weeks 6days pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Mar 2018 - 15:21

Hi Nafisa,

Thank you for your comment and congratulations on your pregnancy. If your LMP was 26th Jan then this will make you around 7 weeks and 5 days today, this will give you an estimated due date of around the 31st October 2018. It can be very normal for your dates to be out by a few days as this depends on when you ovulated and we can never be 100% when this occurs, but on average it is around the 14th day of your cycle. As you have had a scan, your midwife will go by the due date given to you on your scan as this is the most accurate.

Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Jenny (not verified) on 21 Mar 2018 - 10:56

Hello. Just took a home pregnancy test 2 days ago, which was positive. Also have a yeast infection. Can’t get into the doctor for 3 weeks. A doctor friend of mine said Monistat 7 was fine to use. Is it really ok? I miscarried on 2/20, i don’t want to jeopardize this pregnancy in any way.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Mar 2018 - 12:47

Hi Jenny,
      Yes it is fine to use Monistat 7, however we would advise to use it vaginally only and to avoid any oral (via the mouth) treatments. Also just to be aware that treatment in pregnancy usually takes a little longer so will likely need the treatment for the full 7 days.
      Best wishes, Tommy's midwife.

• By Kuenga (not verified) on 20 Mar 2018 - 14:49

The first day of my last period was 23rd of January 2018. My period cycle is 32days on an average. When would be my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Mar 2018 - 12:05

From the information that you have provided, your due date would be about the 30th October however your first scan will give you a date that they will use during your pregnancy.

• By Lizbeth (not verified) on 15 Mar 2018 - 21:31

Hi my last period was feb 2nd and i just found out i was pregnant on march 8th, ibe been experiencing menstral like cramps with no vaginal bleeding , is this normal because i asked my sister in law who is due in 3 months and zhe said she never experienced this.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Mar 2018 - 12:07

Thank you for your comment and congratulations on your pregnancy.
      Its fairly common to have period type pain or similar in early pregnancy-it's related to your hormones and the womb starting to grow as your baby develops. Not everyone experiences these cramps however.
      If they are mild and not happening all the time then there is usually nothing to worry about.
      However if the cramps become very severe and not going away or if there is any bleeding then you should contact your doctor or hospital for further assessment.
      I have attached link with further information and advice about pains in early pregnancy

Hope this helps

• By Gabriela (not verified) on 14 Mar 2018 - 02:04

I had unprotected intercourse on February 21 and I have been using the restroom alot and my chest had been itching. I've taken 2 test and came back negative I have also been gaining weight. Is there a possibility I'm pregnant but the test still shows negative?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Mar 2018 - 15:58

Hi Gabriela,
      Yes there is a chance that you could be pregnant and that it is just a little early to be taking a test. I would advise if that if your period does not come when due to then take a test. In the meant time to start taking a folic acid supplement in case you are pregnant. Best wishes, Tommy's midwives.

• By Maryam (not verified) on 13 Mar 2018 - 21:15

I had my last period on 19th of January.pls hw old is my pregnancy nw.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Mar 2018 - 15:55

Hi, given the date of your last period and assuming that you have regular 28 days cycle, then you are about 7 weeks and 6 days pregnant, due about the 26th October. When you have your first scan then you will be given an official due date and this will be used for the rest of your pregnancy. If you have not already then we would advised for you to make an appointment with your GP and start taking a folic acid supplement. Best wishes, Tommy's midwives.

• By feba (not verified) on 12 Mar 2018 - 19:30

Hello, my LMP was 12th January 2018. I used the pregnancy test and its positive for having a two lines. Then i feel pregnant. After two days i consult a gynacologist.He said everything is ok. He gave vitamin tablets only. He also said March 23 -first scan.Is it correct? How old (how many weeks are my now?is my baby now? In these days i desire and thurst for sexual relationship.Is it wrong or have side effects? When would be my due date?
      Reply.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Mar 2018 - 12:17

Hi Feba,

If your LMP was 12/1/18 then your first scan on March 23rd would be at 10 weeks. Your due date would be October 19th although this is only a guess date as your baby will arrive any time between 37-42 weeks.
      At the moment you are 8 weeks and 4 days. It is fine to have sex in early pregnancy providing that you haven't had any bleeding and it feels comfortable for you. You might need to experiment with positions.

Have a good pregnancy and get in touch if you have any more questions
      Anna- Tommy's Midwife

• By Aquarius (not verified) on 9 Mar 2018 - 21:17

Hi Sophie.
      I just had my D & C procedure done on March 5, 2018 due to unviable pregnancy. And lately, I have been feeling some abdominal discomfort. Is this normal? I am still on medication (antibiotics) for 7 days. I am also on my sick leave. The doctor failed to inform me of what to expect after the procedure. My concers are:
      1. When will my regular menstruation come back?
      2. How soon can I recover?
      3.When can I start going to the gym?
      4.When will it be safe for sex?
      5.other info pls

Thanking you in advance for the advice.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Mar 2018 - 10:22

Hi, I hope you are feeling better today and that your discomfort is resolving. Recovery time varies but you should feel better and stronger each day. If you don't or if you are concerned please see your GP for advice.
      NHS have very good website to answer all your queries https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/afterwards/ or you are welcome to call us on 0800 0147 800 if you need to talk. We are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm.

• By Ash (not verified) on 9 Mar 2018 - 15:28

Hello, iam 4 wk pregnant but i had an abdominal pain sometimes specially i feel pressure and mostly my pain started after pee , like periods pain .i am taking snooty is it safe

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Mar 2018 - 16:14

No I would not advise any medication in pregnancy without discussion with your doctor. Make an appointment as soon as you are able. Best wishes

• By Crystal (not verified) on 9 Mar 2018 - 09:44

The first day of my last period was 2nd of January 2018. My period cycle is 40 days on an average. When would be my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Mar 2018 - 11:12

If we go by your LMP (last period) your due date would be 11th October. However this date may be reviewed at your first scan as you have a long cycle length.

• By maryann (not verified) on 7 Mar 2018 - 09:51

My last period is 29th January,2018 and iam pregnant.how many weeks are my now?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2018 - 09:58

Hi Maryann
      The most pregnant you could be is around 5 weeks using your last menstrual period date of 29th Jan 2018.
      The weeks may change slightly when you go for your first pregnancy scan.
      Sophie, Tommy's Midwife