Second trimester: weeks 13 to 28

The second trimester is the middle three months of your pregnancy. This is a time when lots of women tell the world they’re pregnant and begin to feel like the pregnancy is more ‘real’.

weeks 13 - 28 infographic

The second trimester of your pregnancy is from week 13 to week 28 - roughly months four, five and six.

As well as feeling and looking more pregnant during these weeks, you may also have more energy than you did in the first trimester. This will come as a great relief if you have been struggling with sickness, tiredness or anxiety about getting through the first trimester.

Get weekly updates and views from our expert midwives straight to your inbox

As you go through the second trimester, you’ll gradually see your 'bump' grow and later you'll start to feel your baby moving.

Choices and decisions in the second trimester of pregnancy

You'll be offered blood tests and your second ultrasound scan at around 20 weeks. This scan looks at how the baby is growing and whether there are any causes for concern.

You have the right to say no to any test or scan that's offered. It is always your choice and the team looking after you will respect your decision.

If you haven't already thought about it, it’s a good time to start thinking about where and how you would like to have your baby. From home birth to hospital birth, you may have to make a decision. If this all seems a little scary, don't worry. Your midwife will be there to support you and tell you what your choices are. You'll go from beginner to expert in just a few weeks!

You may want to consider whether to ask if you’re having a boy or a girl when you have your scans. This is a very personal decision – some parents are excited to find out and others prefer to be surprised at the birth. Keep in mind, though, that a scan doesn’t always show the sex of the baby and sometimes what you are told could turn out to be wrong!

If you are still smoking – even if it’s just the odd cigarette – check out your local stop smoking options. If you stop smoking before the 15th week of pregnancy, the health risks for your baby go down. Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do for the health of your baby.

Experts agree that staying active in pregnancy is good for you and your baby. You can prepare your body for the challenges of labour and being a mum by keeping yourself healthy and active during your second trimester.

Find out more about the second trimester

1.  Lee KA, Zaffke ME (2006) ‘Longitudinal changes in fatigue and energy during pregnancy and the post partum period’, Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 28 (2): 183–91
  2. NHS Choices. Ultrasound scans. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/ultrasound-anomaly-baby-scans-pregnant.aspx (Page last reviewed: 30/11/2017 Next review due: 30/11/2020)
  3. England LJ, Kendrick JS, Wilson HG, Merritt RK, Gargiullo PM, Zahniser SC (2001) Effects of smoking reduction during pregnancy on the birth weight of term infants’, American Journal of Epidemiology 154(8): 694–701:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590081
  4.  ACOG (2010) Smoking cessation during pregnancy, Committee Opinion 471, Washington DC, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Health-Care-for-Underserved-Women/Smoking-Cessation-During-Pregnancy

Waterbabies logo

Last reviewed on June 28th, 2018. Next review date June 28th, 2021.

Comments

• By Clysta (not verified) on 6 Jul 2019 - 06:32

I am in my 10th week of pregnancy and I have went to the doctor and seen the baby and seeing the heartbeat but as of right now mentally I don't feel like there's a baby but I know that there's a baby is this normal

• By Sara (not verified) on 21 Jun 2019 - 22:08

Hi I'm 8 w6days pregnant, yesterday had an ultrasound scan, no fetal heartbeat seen, when I gone for 6 w6 days there was a very small tickling seen, doctor confirm the heartbeat, now at present doctor told its a missed miscarriage, why is it happened, and he ask me to wait for 1 week for the next detailed viability scan,he continued if there is any bleeding or cramping, I should meet the doctor immediately, I feel normal, I hope everything will be ok, should I expect the heartbeat next week, is there any successful stories? Please reply

• By Kahdiha (not verified) on 12 Jul 2019 - 16:35

I went through the same thing my first 2 ultrasounds they didn't see anything then the 3rd time we saw the baby and the heartbeat

• By Twinomugisha ch... (not verified) on 17 Jun 2019 - 15:52

Hello I stopped going to periods 30 match 2019 , but when I bought pregnancy test in April I was not pregnant then in June I found out am pregnant .i don't know how many weeks am pregnant . thanks

• By Margaret (not verified) on 24 Jun 2019 - 00:35

What I would recommend is contact your doc have in schedule ultra sound so they can see and if you wanna know a little bit ahead just count from the day you took your test and say at least a month comes a least a month so = 4 weeks

• By Baby (not verified) on 11 Jun 2019 - 14:07

I'm currently expecting and I'm not sure how many months I am due to the contraceptive I was on I had irregular periods that would come and sometimes never come I can't recall when last i went on my periods so I don't know when my LMP is how can I determine my EDD?

• By Angel (not verified) on 5 Jun 2019 - 07:29

LMP was 1st March how many weeks am I please

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Jun 2019 - 07:20

i had my last period on 25 of febuary 29 i want to no how many week am i

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Apr 2019 - 17:20

I had my last period on 25 November please how many weeks I'm I pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Apr 2019 - 12:57

Hi - Thank you for your message.
    if you LMP (last Menstrual period) was 25/11/2018 then you would 21+4 weeks pregnant today.

• By kylie (not verified) on 30 Apr 2019 - 17:23

Given if your start date of your last period was the 25th of november and your cycle is typically 28 days then you are 22 weeks and 2 days along as of april 30 2019.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Apr 2019 - 13:43

Is waking allowed now

• By Agatha (not verified) on 23 Mar 2019 - 13:53

Please I need advice on what to do although not to serious but I had 3 miscarriages after my first child.

• By Sharon (not verified) on 17 Mar 2019 - 11:18

Hi, am 14 weeks now but no longer feel pregnant. I just feel headaches, pain in thighs and little cramping which I wonder if it's normal, my baby bump is not even showing,am flat and don't feel the baby moving. Is my baby fine? or I should go for a check up

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Mar 2019 - 11:20

Hi Sharon,
    You have had a scan recently which I hope was all OK and no concerns from this, however if you have concerns and are worried then do contact your midwife for a review.

• By Jaz (not verified) on 10 Mar 2019 - 03:57

Hi, I'm jaz and near about 20 week pregnant but I'm not feeling the baby's movement,
    Is it normal?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Mar 2019 - 15:13

Yes Jaz, this is quite normal. If you haven't felt any movement by 24 weeks you should tell your midwife. Take care x

• By Jonafe (not verified) on 16 Feb 2019 - 15:03

I have a toothache and it was very painful. I can't even sleep well. What is the best medicine for my toothache? I'm 16week Pregnant.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Feb 2019 - 15:11

Hi Jonafe. If you live in the UK, dental care is free during pregnancy, so please go to see your dentist as soon as possible. Please do not take any medication other than paracetamol for pain relief during pregnancy and make sure you do not go over the recommended daily allowance.
    All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By lilian (not verified) on 4 Feb 2019 - 06:47

I did a pregnancy test, it came up positive. in few seconds it went off, am really scared. am I still pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Feb 2019 - 16:13

Hi Lilian, Thank you for your comment.

If the test showed positive and then faded it should still mean that you had a positive test and it can fade after a time. As long as you read the test in the time instructed on the packaging then this is the result you take. If you are unsure then we would recommend that you do another test to check for a positive result. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Jemma (not verified) on 1 Dec 2018 - 02:53

Hello, I have been having on and off pain in my vaginal area and what feels like the inner hip joints. It usually fades when I change position. I'm a bit worried. Should I see my doctor?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Dec 2018 - 14:55

Sorry Jemma but I am not able to help you without more information. I suggest you talk to your midwife or doctor for advice. Best wishes

• By BARBRA IKASAYA (not verified) on 23 Nov 2018 - 14:07

How good is the placebo and estrogen,I mean the injection how does it work in pregnant woman.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Nov 2018 - 14:55

Hi Barbra,
    I am not clear what you mean, would it be ok to drop us an email and we can talk in more detail? Our email address is [email protected]

• By Katie (not verified) on 19 Nov 2018 - 16:29

I had very mild spotting, light pink and only once when I wiped, last week @ 14 weeks. Spoke to the midwife that night and again in the morning as it happened again. As I had no cramping they weren’t concerned. The midwife did say I could attend the MAU for a scan but I wouldn’t be classed as urgent and may have to wait a while to be seen - it’s over 60 miles away so decided to leave it and keep an eye on it. It stopped and I felt fine.
    It happened again yesterday, after sex, which I was kind of expecting and it wasn’t as much as last week and again I felt fine. I didn’t call the midwife as I wasn’t worried and decided to call today just to make them aware. The midwife I spoke to this time was very dismissive and told me that because at 12 weeks the baby was fine I wouldn’t be scanned again and I would need to wait until my 16 week check next week when they will listen for a heartbeat. She also said it’s my choice if I want to avoid sex or not.
    I don’t know if I should push for another scan or just except that they’re not concerned and wait until next week?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Nov 2018 - 12:56

Hi Katie. It would be useful for you to find out what is causing this, particularly if you continue to bleed off and on. It is quite possible that it is linked to cervical changes or to sexual activity and you may not find the cause. However, ideally you should be seen and have a vaginal or pelvic assessment. You may also be advised to have a blood test to check your hormone levels or to check for infection. Try to talk to your midwife again or see your GP for advice. Best wishes

• By Katie (not verified) on 24 Nov 2018 - 10:35

Thanks for the reply.
    I had more spotting on Tuesday night which then turned into what I felt was a bleed - I felt it when I stood up and it had soaked my knickers. I had already spoken to the MAU and they advised me to go straight in.
    I was checked over - baby fine and happy and my cervix looks as it should.
    Very scary but glad it was ok as I was convinced it was all going wrong. No spotting since and only brown discharge which has now stopped too.
    Looking forward to my check up at 16 weeks this coming week to hear the heartbeat - haven’t heard it since 8 weeks!!
    Thanks again.

• By Dorathy (not verified) on 16 Nov 2018 - 09:44

Am 13wk pregnant and am bleeding it started light and it increases and my doctor prescribed a drug to me (biopentin) and am still bleeding which drugs should I take again to stop the bleeding

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Nov 2018 - 10:45

Dear Dorathy,
    I am afraid that biopentin is not a drug that is used in pregnancy in the UK. If you are still bleeding and having pain then we would advise for you to go back to your doctor for a review.
    Best wishes, Tommy's midwife

• By Sana (not verified) on 12 Nov 2018 - 23:58

There are no cramps no bloating no pains I am just as I was before pregnancy . I am not feeling any kind of pregnancy symptoms and and not even my baby. I feel as if my tummy is empty there's no baby in it is normal it's my 14 week

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Nov 2018 - 11:43

Yes this is quite normal. it isn't possible to feel baby movements until at least 16 weeks and most women report feeling baby for the first time after 20 weeks. Please be reassured.

• By Carol (not verified) on 17 Sep 2018 - 18:33

LMP was on 24,25,26,how many weeks am i please?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Sep 2018 - 13:12

Dear Carol,
    According to your dates which I presume are for during august, providing you have a regular 28 day cycle then you are about 3 weeks and 6 days pregnant. When you have your first scan this will give you your accurate dating and due date.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Sep 2018 - 11:13

Hi Carol
    Using our link below, you can input the first day of your last menstrual period date/month and input your average cycle length - this will give you your approximate current gestation and estimated due date.

• By Leanne (not verified) on 23 Aug 2018 - 08:31

I have had 3 previous miscarriages at 1 trimester.

I am now 13 weeks 4 days and have had bright red blood this morning and I am on holiday in Spain. I’ve spotted through out slight pink and was scanned at 6 and 8 weeks via Tommys due to previous miscarriages. I then had a small red bleed at 9 weeks went to a&e and was scanned and everything was fine. 12 week scan was also fine.

I’ve now woken up to quite a bit of red blood but not enough to soak a pad. I’m just looking for some advice as I’m in a foreign country. Do you think I should visit a hospital here?

Any advice or suggestions would be great - thank you.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Aug 2018 - 14:19

Hi Leanne,
    It would be advisable that you are seen at the local hospital there just so that you can be checked over as any bleeding in pregnancy needs to be assessed. If you have your maternity notes with you then please take them in then they can see all your medical history. Make sure you take your insurance details with you and your EU health card so that you can receive treatment if needed because they may ask for them. Hope this helps, take care Tommy's Midwives x

• By Esther (not verified) on 8 Aug 2018 - 15:42

Please am having down back pains, especially if I bend down, carry something, trick for a while and sitting on a low chair. I have tried to control it but its given me concern. Do I need to see doctor for it.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Aug 2018 - 16:17

Hi Esther, Thank you for your comment.
    We would suggest that if this back pain is becoming debilitating then you do need to see your GP who can refer you too a physiotherapist and they can give you exercises to manage the pain throughout pregnancy. Please call your GP as soon as you can to get an appointment. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Katrina (not verified) on 25 Jul 2018 - 14:11

Hi there, I'm just looking for some advice as not sure if I should go see my midwife. I am 15 weeks pregnant have had nausea since the begining (ivf pregnancy) and constipation. However i had a bout of diorreah on Sunday night which lasted just the one time and did not happen again nausea has neither gotten worse or better have vomited a few times but not since having the diorreah . I have pain in my abdomen but goes away when I eat and then just feels tight . I had another bout of diorreah again last night (Tuesday night) and the same sensation slight pain until I eat then slight tightening. The tightening is uncomfortable and I'm worried there may be something wrong with the baby but aware that theses symptoms are also respective of being 15 weeks pregnant. Any advice would be much apprecited. Thank you.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Jul 2018 - 12:15

Hi Katrina,
    It sounds like you have symptoms of a tummy bug, in which case the best thing to do is to stay at home, rest and keep hydrated. You describe that the slight pain goes away when eating which is reassuring and that you have an uncomfortable tightening, but from what you have said it does not sound like they are regular or happening often. If you have pain which is continuing or tightenings then do see your midwife, same if you have any bleeding. If you develop a fever or feel unwell then do see your GP for a review.

• By Katrina (not verified) on 1 Aug 2018 - 01:21

Thank you so much for your reply and great advice. I did stay home and keep hydrated I saw my midwife on mon day and was reassured by her and the sound of little ones heart beat. The diorreah did not happen again after the bout last tuesday and I feel much better. Still having the tightening sensation of an evening especially after my evening meal which is making it difficult to sleep but figure this is round ligament pain and digestion. Thank you so much again for your reply.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 1 Aug 2018 - 09:33

Hi Katrina
    I am glad to hear all was well and your were checked over.
    It does sound like round ligament pain yes, but if it continues or worsens, please get another review to be 100% sure.

• By Alexandra (not verified) on 28 Jun 2018 - 17:22

Hi there! I've been having these irregular and uncomfortable contractions which range from a few times an hour to 4-5 times. I've been to Labor and Delivery 3 times so far this week (here in the US) to be examined, and they have told me each time I am fine and my cervix is closed. Is it normal to have very frequent contractions at almost 22 weeks? I think I'm also feeling round ligament pain as there's a sharp pain every now and then around my uterus. Thank you.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jun 2018 - 11:47

Hi Alexandra,
    You have absolutely been doing the right thing by going to the labour ward when you have been feeling regular tightenings as it would be unexpected at 22 weeks of pregnancy. Sometimes these can be triggered by an infection, often a urine infection so I am sure that they would have checked for this at the hospital. Sometimes there is no explanation and for some women they have an 'irritable uterus' which really means that they will experience tightenings regularly but cervix remains unchanged. Some ligament pain again can be very normal, but this is usually on going pain rather than tightening type pain. Please do continue to go back to the hospital if you are having regular tightenings that are on going.

• By humera nazneen (not verified) on 5 Jun 2018 - 07:20

Iam suffering from bad caugh since 3 days,i have consulted my doctor but their is no cure,and in 20 days i lost 3kgs of my weight,will my baby wil be fine??please could you explain me in details...i kindly request you...
    thaning you,
    Iam from india.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Jun 2018 - 15:01

Hi Humera
    According to your Last Menstrual Period date of 15th Jan, you are around 20 weeks pregnant. I am sorry that you are having a bad cough, but this will hopefully soon pass (get the dr to make sure you do not have a chest infection requiring antibiotics.) I am also sorry to hear that you have lost 3kgs of weight. I hope that your doctor is keeping a close eye on your weight loss and will make any referring to a dietitian if needed.

• By Mousumi chowdhury (not verified) on 4 Jun 2018 - 12:34

I am at 12 weeks, I am having a light abdominal pain and vaginal pain sometimes it feels more like a menstrual pain. Is there any concern with the baby, my scan is due next week.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jun 2018 - 14:35

Hi Mousaumi, Unfortunately it isn't possible to reassure you without examining you but some mild cramping is quite common and not always associated with problems. If the pain gets any worse or if you have any bleeding please see your doctor straight away. Take care

• By Hawy (not verified) on 1 Jun 2018 - 20:01

I am 13weeks, but I am having severe pain around my lower abdomen including my stomach sometimes. Is it a problem?