Discharge in pregnancy

Having more vaginal discharge during pregnancy is common, but speak to your midwife or doctor if you are unsure about any increase or change in your vaginal discharge.

How much discharge is normal in pregnancy?

Speak to your midwife or doctor if you are unsure about any increase or change in your vaginal discharge.

Infection

Call your midwife if you have vaginal discharge and:

• it smells bad
  • is green, brown or yellow
  • you feel itchy or sore around your vagina
  • you have pain when you wee.

This may mean you have an infection that needs to be treated.

Vaginal bleeding

If you have any vaginal bleeding at any time during your pregnancy contact your midwife. You could also contact your GP you’re only a few weeks pregnant. Any sign of blood, which may be red (like if you cut your finger) or dark brown (like old blood) needs to be checked straight away.

Read more about bleeding in pregnancy.

Is it discharge or my waters breaking?

More discharge can be common in pregnancy but you will need to call your maternity unit and get checked urgently if:

• your discharge is watery
  • your discharge changes
  • you’re bleeding
  • your baby is moving less than usual
  • your waters are green, brown or contain blood.

Leaking or gushing clear or pinkish liquid before 37 weeks.

This may mean that your waters have broken early (preterm prelabour rupture of membranes - PPROM).

If this happens you and your baby are at risk of infection. You may also go into labour and deliver your baby early.

Phone your maternity unit immediately.

Read more about premature birth.

Leaking or gushing clear or pinkish fluid after 37 weeks

This may mean that your waters have broken and that you may be about to go into labour. Call the maternity unit and tell them what has happened. You may not need to go to the hospital straight away but they will write down what time your waters broke and tell you what to do next.

Read more about waters breaking after 37 weeks.

Read more symptoms in pregnancy

1. Macdonald S, Magill-Cuerden J, Mayes’ midwifery, thirteenth editionEdinburgh, Bailliere Tindall Elsevier, 2012

Last reviewed on September 27th, 2018. Next review date September 27th, 2021.

Comments

• By annanya khan (not verified) on 7 Sep 2019 - 03:02

hi! i am 38weeks and 2days pregnant and this is my first pregnancy i got silky white milky discharge and something time abdomen cramping plz give me some advices am i in labour

• By Nike (not verified) on 28 Aug 2019 - 21:38

Hi am 41 week my water have not broken and i have been green discharge and it really sore it red and sore when I wipe and sore when i pee and it burn to the pain it really sore and I went to see my midwife and also I went to get the sweep and she couldn't do it because obviously my pelvis not right and she said that when I pee there was cells blood in my urine i do no what do

• By Damilola (not verified) on 4 Aug 2019 - 23:56

Am 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant i feels pain and my back and at my Virginia and light white discharge

• By Ewa (not verified) on 3 Aug 2019 - 16:56

I m 12weeks plus pregnant and I have this brown colour discharge and I go to scan and my baby is still intact what should I do

• By Christina Smith (not verified) on 10 Jul 2019 - 14:25

Hello, I will be 40 weeks tomorrow. All through my pregnancy I have had a heavy flow of discharge. Now it has been a week with no discharge at all, this is my third baby and it's a first for me could it mean something is wrong??

• By Amanda (not verified) on 1 Jul 2019 - 08:55

hi I'm 24 weeks pregnant with twins and few days ago I went toilet and had a blob of clear gunky discharge creamy and thick now for the last few days I've had discharge when I wipe its milky cream but not thick anymore is this normal ?

• By Jess (not verified) on 5 Jun 2019 - 19:49

Hi, this is my 3rd pregnancy. I miscarried last year.
      I had a reassurance scan - transvaginal last week Tuesday and everything was fine. The next day I had brown discharge followed by short cramps lasting a few mins. A few days later I had a stringy discharge with a speck of blood in it. What does this mean? I am due to have another scan Friday but I am worried.
      Any thoughts/advice is appreciated. Thank you

• By Dipa (not verified) on 4 Jun 2019 - 18:11

I'm 5 weeks pregnant now. But I am dry as a bone down there from the beginning. Should I be concern about this?
      I had a early pregnancy miscarriage (at week 6) in February. So, I'm always worried about this one.

• By Hannah (not verified) on 30 Apr 2019 - 20:26

I'm 7+3 weeks pregnant with normal white discharge starting this week, although today I noticed a stringy yellowish type discharge, small but the consistency of a bogey (sorry for the graphics). Is this something to be worried about? Just happened the once today. This is my third pregnancy however I've had two previous miscarriages, both in the 9th week.
      Very concerned. I've had the same partner for 6 years so it shouldn't be an STI.

• By Tanya (not verified) on 27 Apr 2019 - 02:17

I’m 11 weeks 2 days pregnant and when I went to the toilet and wiped I saw light brown discharge, throughout the day it stopped. This morning when I had to do a number 2 I wiped again and there was more light brown but a bit darker this time but it had pinkish discharge aswell. It’s a few hours later now and my discharge is back to its normal colour.
      I’ve had an ultrasound yesterday and baby is growing normal and healthy but I do have a small SCH. No cramping. Please help!

• By Stacy (not verified) on 2 Apr 2019 - 11:14

Hi I am 8 weeks pregnant and 6 days ago I went for my first scan which was done vaginally. The day after the scan I started getting a very light brown discharge and I am still getting it today, which is 6 days later. Should I see my GP or should I wait and see if the discharge clears on its own?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 Apr 2019 - 16:07

Hi Stacy
      I would advise discussing this with your GP or contacting your Early Pregnancy Unit for more advice about the discharge.
      If the bleeding becomes red and very heavy and /or there is severe pain, the you should go to your local A&E for urgent assessment
      The attached link has more information for you

• By Valerie (not verified) on 29 Mar 2019 - 03:54

Does every woman have discharge during pregnancy? I'm currently pregnant with my 7th baby and have never experienced any discharge except in last few days before delivering.

• By Kuks (not verified) on 25 Mar 2019 - 03:27

I am 11 wks 3days pregnant. Woke up this dawn to pass urine and saw blood(brownish) when I wiped. Went to pass urine again after about an hour and there was nothing(no blood). Should I be worried about this?

• By Wendy (not verified) on 25 Mar 2019 - 02:57

Hi my name is wendy. For the past weeks I have been coughing so heavily, experiencing a lot of cramps In my lower parts of belly. Today I got a clear n watery discharge which it is also sticky and also my Virginia gets painful

• By trenda (not verified) on 24 Mar 2019 - 09:55

pls am feeling pain in my lower belly my baby always kick me and am feeling chest pain and feel my eyes vision is not normal headache everytime and vomitting anytime i eat and drink water and am 26 weeks pregnant pls is my baby save

• By andrea (not verified) on 18 Mar 2019 - 12:53

hey, i am 12 weeks pregnant i have a question at the early stage of my pregnancy i had a lot of discharge and when i was about 10 weeks it decrease i hardly have any discharge during the day when i go to the toilet and wipe myself its dry or there will be a little discharge i wanted to know if its normal in pregnancy or should i call my doctor

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Mar 2019 - 11:32

Hi Andrea. A decrease in discharge is not a concern. So please do not worry. All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 1 Mar 2019 - 21:39

Hi, well i had a brownish discharge for days and stopped, later a little drops of blood started , it comes for an hour n stop for a day or two then comes again for one week then later started with light red but doesn't fill a pad and doesn't come at night , but hasn't stopped , pls what could be the cause

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Mar 2019 - 15:59

Hi, You don't say how many weeks pregnant you are? I would suggest that you see your doctor or midwife who will try to help you look for a cause.

• By Mimi (not verified) on 17 Feb 2019 - 14:26

I'm 41+2weeks,for six days ve been seeing vaginal discharge but no labour pains and head not yet engaged.is anything the matter?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Feb 2019 - 09:39

Hi Mimi, It is very important that you see a doctor or midwife for a full antenatal check as soon as possible. The discharge and the baby's position need to be assessed and discussed and a plan put in place for induction of labour in case you don't go into labour spontaneously.

• By Darlene (not verified) on 15 Feb 2019 - 03:25

Hello, am 38 wks pregnant with my first baby but 2 days ago after having intercourse my discharge which was ok before has now turned into tiny solid creamy particles which I see in the urine I pass out. there is no odour,no itching or pain but am scared it could be an infection. should I apply clotrimazole pessaries just to clear my doubts or wait and see if any abnormality like itching or pain comes about, pliz advise me. thank u.
      Then also what causes a baby to go beyond the due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Feb 2019 - 12:31

Hi Darlene
      Please go to your labour ward/triage at your local hospital for urgent review - they will examine/assess you and prescribe any medication that you might need. Please do not use any medication in pregnancy unless it is prescribed for you. Please take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Kayla (not verified) on 13 Feb 2019 - 16:09

I am 26 weeks and 6 days. Yesterday i had a good amount of this discharge all of a sudden. Its not happening everytime i wipe but maybe 4 out of 10 times. I have also continued to have it today as well but not everytime. Is this normal or should i be worried. It doesnt have a smell and i have no burning,itching,or redness.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Feb 2019 - 15:41

Hi Kayla,
      It can be very normal for discharge to increase and change in pregnancy. If the discharge is watery and you need to wear a pad then this will need to be reviewed. If you are having any pain or itchy then again call your midwife for a review.

• By Mimi (not verified) on 30 Jan 2019 - 16:49

I'm 46 yrs me and my husband TTC no baby. My period was 30 days late then later I had a very heavy period no clots lasted 3 days now I'm experiencing brown watery discharge with funny smell. What does that mean

• By Midwife @Tommys on 31 Jan 2019 - 10:48

Hi - Thank you for your message. If your discharge is unusual and has an odour, you should visit your doctor for advice and care. You may have an infection that would require treatment.

• By Robyn (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 08:15

I'm 40weeks pregnant and I just saw water sticky discharge with light yellow discharge also heavy and coming down my legs with mild back and pelvic pain. What can I do?

• By Helen (not verified) on 28 Jan 2019 - 11:44

I am 41+ 6 days now no sign of labor first child though.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jan 2019 - 12:05

Hi Helen - please check out our page below on how to naturally help to get yourself into labour...
      All the best - Tommy's Midwife

• By Sai Hema (not verified) on 23 Jan 2019 - 12:46

I'm 8weeks pregnant. Two days back I had lot of cramping and backache around midnight then it started to bleed in red, next day morning we visited doc and done beta hcg and counts are 2010, urine test +ve, light bleeding that entire day, doc suggested me progesterone 200mg, But today morning bleeding increased and suddenly I passed two medium sized clots, called doc about this she suggested me progesterone injection. Now bleeding stopped and having watery white discharge. Please help me out.... Is my baby healthy... Fingers crossed

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jan 2019 - 12:03

Hi Sai Hema
      Your doctor is best placed to guide you on your pregnancy health. Bleeding and abdominal pain, at any gestation, is deemed as abnormal until proven otherwise. And pregnancy can cause increased discharge. If it is clear and milky, then this is normal. If it is yellow, green, brown, smelly, itchy or burning,- then this is not normal and you should have swabs taken to tests for an infection. Please take good care. Tommy's Midwife

• By Sam (not verified) on 19 Jan 2019 - 23:01

I am 6 weeks+ pregnant I have a history of 2 miscarriages at 4+ months and 5 weeks. I have been getting lower abdominal pain and whittish discharge is this normal because I am really worried about this.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Jan 2019 - 12:10

Dear Sam,
      I am sorry to hear about your miscarriages and it is completely understandable that you are feeling anxious in this pregnancy. Some lower abdominal pain can be normal, often women will describe it as period like cramps. As long as this feels generalised without bleeding then just to rest up where possible. If you are having any bleeding or the pain is to one side then you need to be seen by your GP. Again whitish discharge is common, discharge will often increase during pregnancy. If you are experiencing any itching then this could be thrush, so again see your GP if this is the case.

• By Ac (not verified) on 18 Jan 2019 - 18:27

Hello, I have had a yellow discharge with a sort of vinegary smell on and off during my pregnancy. I'm currently 15 weeks and 5 and I mentioned it to my booking appointment with my midwife at 12 weeks but she said changes in discharge are normal. I'm just a bit concerned that it has come back again.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Jan 2019 - 16:42

Hi AC
      Pregnancy can cause changes in your vaginal discharge. If it is a worry to you and is uncomfortable, your midwife or GP can do a vaginal swab sample and send it off if there is a strong and unusual smell. Please return for them to do this.
      All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By keshy (not verified) on 8 Jan 2019 - 09:55

hi am eight and a half months pregnant and for two days now av noticed some clear reddish bloodstains after wiping myself after weeing en my have some pain on my back just on top of my butt*cks en under my pelvis, this started after I had s*x,is this something to cause an alarm?this is my first pregnancy

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 11:36

Hi Keshy - thank you for your message.

• By Mirah (not verified) on 6 Jan 2019 - 20:08

Im having this discharge, odurless and I’m going to be in my 39weeks by Wednesday, y is my discharge coming more? Does it mean my baby is getting ready? And my cramps are getting more heavy. Pls y?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 11:49

Mild period-like discomfort or cramps at the end of your pregnancy are common and nothing to worry about, but call your midwife if you have any concerns.
      You may also experience Braxton Hicks contractions, which are a sign that the muscles of your womb are tightening. This can happen from as early as 16 weeks, but are more common in later pregnancy.

Braxton Hicks’ contractions are:
      irregular (more than 10 minutes apart)
      short-lasting
      uncomfortable more than painful.
      You do not need to contact your maternity unit or midwife unless your contractions become painful and regular (less than 10 minutes apart).

• By Hayley (not verified) on 5 Jan 2019 - 17:33

Hi I'm 24 weeks pregnant. Stood up at 12noon and had a gush of liquid, went through my pants, landline and trousers. Had nothing at all since and it's now 5.34pm. Not sure whether I should get checked or not.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 11:54

Hi Hayley,
      Any leaking or gushing of clear or pinkish liquid before 37 weeks, may indicate a leak in your waters.
      It is essential that you phone your maternity unit immediately and be checked out urgently.

• By Bryony Edwards (not verified) on 3 Jan 2019 - 06:10

Hello, i am 15 weeks pregnant and had some bleeding and brown/pink discharge on and iff between 6-10 weeks, all was checked and baby is fine. This morning i have gone to the toilet and there was brown discharge again. Ive had no pain but wondered if this was normal? Should i go to a&e at all?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Jan 2019 - 11:57

Hi Bryony
      Having more vaginal discharge during pregnancy is common. Healthy vaginal discharge is usually thin, clear or milky white and shouldn’t smell bad. However, you must call your midwife if you have vaginal discharge and:
      it smells bad
      is green, brown or yellow
      you feel itchy or sore around your vagina
      you have pain when you wee.
      This may mean you have an infection that needs to be treated.

• By Rebecca (not verified) on 19 Dec 2018 - 20:10

Im 36 + 4 weeks and i find myself always having to change my panties everytime i go pee i see that their a good amount of liquid soaking through should i worry is it normal

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Dec 2018 - 16:04

Hi Rebecca, If you think that your water's may have gone, you should call your maternity unit and go in for assessment. I wouldn't be able to advise you without examining you. It is possible that this is normal vaginal discharge which is usually clear or milky and has no smell, or it could be urine if you have leaked a bit. Either way, if you are unsure, please go and check.

• By Janette (not verified) on 1 Dec 2018 - 11:20

Hi.
      At 6 weeks, I found out i was pregnant with twins but only one was viable.
      At 9 weeks, I had a red bleed. Scan showed second sac was significantly shrinking and there was a 2cm SCH above the baby. I rested as much as possible (and each day found brown discharge) and at 11 weeks, it was confirmed by scan that second sac and SCH were no longer visible.
      Yesterday, I had another scan which showed baby doing great and again no sign of second sac or SCH. Baby is measuring at 13 weeks and sonographer said all was great!
      However, a couple of hours after the scan, I had an episode of brown discharge followed by a small brown clot. I’ve had no discharge (other than a small amount of the usual pale yellow/white) since.
      Could it still be the last part of the SCH coming out? The last time I passed a small clot was 6 days prior to scan.

In other words, do I need to contact my midwife? Or should I see if I have another episode before I get in touch? I have appointment with consultant in 10 days.

Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Dec 2018 - 12:11

Hi - Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the difficult and worrying time you have been having during this pregnancy. The good news is that you last scan was so positive - however, I would advise that you should contact your midwife/maternity unit about the clot you have passed.
      Best Wishes

• By Maria (not verified) on 26 Nov 2018 - 18:47

Hi, i am on my 25 week, had a busy and tiring weekend, but today evening when i wiped after passing urine, i noticed a blood tinged brownish discharge.i felt baby movements today,
      Is it something to worry about, i have an apt with the doctor next week? I am so scared and confused, i am lying down for now, please give me advice on what i should do?
      This is my first pregnancy.
      Thankyou so much in advance.