Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

10 weeks pregnant – all you need to know

Your uterus is the size of a large orange now, and your baby is around 3cm long.

Week 10 infographic.

What does my baby look like in week 10?

If you could see their face, you would now be able to see an upper lip and two miniscule nostrils in their nose.

Your baby’s eyes can already react to light. Their eyelids are half-closed and will shut completely in a few days.

Their jawbone is developing and already contains all their milk teeth.

An ultrasound scan at this stage would show your baby making little, jerky movements.

Get weekly updates on your baby's development from our expert midwives straight to your inbox.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 10

Indigestion and heartburn

Your digestive system is slowing down and this can make you feel bloated or give you indigestion and heartburn.

Are you having cramps?

It’s not unusual to have period-type cramps in early pregnancy as the fetus settles into the wall of the womb. This can also cause spotting. Although it is likely to be harmless, see a doctor if you have any bleeding.

Have a headache, feel dizzy or suffering from cramps and hot flashes?

Find out more about 10 common pregnancy complaints (and how to avoid them).

Noticed more vaginal discharge?

Your body is full of surprises in pregnancy, some more embarrassing than others.

A slight increase in discharge/fluid during pregnancy is normal. You may find that it is a mild-smelling, milky fluid, which is fine. Your body creates discharge to help prevent infections travelling up the vagina to the womb.

However, if you have green, yellow or brown discharge - or if you’re bleeding - you should contact your midwife. Find out more about vaginal discharge.

What to do in week 10

It’s likely that you’ve now had your booking appointment! If not, don’t worry. Your booking visit will usually happen when you are between 8 and 12 weeks of pregnancy.

If you haven’t had yours yet, remember to ask your midwife for your free prescriptions form (FW8) so you can apply for an NHS ‘maternity exemption’ certificate.

Were you left with any unanswered questions? You can visit our page about the booking appointment; or

• type your question into our search bar to view our pregnancy information; or
  • ask one of our midwives who is here to support you from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. You can contact them on our Facebook page or by email.

In the next few weeks, you will have your first ultrasound scan!

The first scan can be an emotional experience as you will see your baby for the first time.

It also:

• confirms the estimated due date by looking at your baby's size
  • man see if you're having more than one baby
  • may be used with a nuchal translucency scan to check the risk of the baby having Down's syndrome, Edward's Syndrome and Patau's Syndrome.

Pregnancy myths

Flying, dying your hair and sex during pregnancy? Find the answers behind 10 of the most misunderstood pregnancy myths.

Discover the 10 most common pregnancy myths.

Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Johnathan Cape

NHS choices (2013). You and your baby at 9-12 weeks pregnant.  http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-weeks-9-10-11-12.aspx#close  (Page last reviewed: 31/03/2017 Next review due: 31/03/2020)

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By Mia (not verified) on 16 Sep 2019 - 05:34

I just found out I'm pregnant by test and think I'm about 9 to 11 weeks and not seen doctor yet and Iv had pink spotting twice and light cramps for to days off and on.. my symptoms have added also does that mean I had a miscarriage.. 3rd child 29

• By Thando (not verified) on 20 Aug 2019 - 11:40

i went to the clinic and they booked me a scan because the couldnt feel anything yes im pregnant and the scan says im 10 weeks 3days, can you help which day did i fell pregnant

• By Martha (not verified) on 15 Aug 2019 - 14:44

I am 10weeks 6days pregnant and I feel slight movement and when I sleep on my side I feel something hard In My stomach, also my throat feels blocked and I can't seem to get food down. What can I do?

• By Jessica (not verified) on 14 Aug 2019 - 05:09

Hello, I am currently 10 weeks 1 day and I masturbated only via clitoral stimulation and when I wiped there was faint spotting. I do not have any cramps just a dull pressure like feeling in my lower abdomen, no pain though. It’s been about an hour and it appears the spotting has stopped completely. Could the orgasm caused the spotting? There was nothing that penetrated? It just worries me as I have had a miscarriage at 6 weeks in the past.

• By seun (not verified) on 10 Aug 2019 - 16:13

exactly eight weeks of pregnant am seeing Brown discharge what cause it

• By Carol (not verified) on 3 Aug 2019 - 17:38

Hi am really confused at home they are forcing me to do my check- ups at the clinic and me with my husband we are preferring a general doctor so I want to know the difference and any further advice.
      Also m 10 weeks pregnant,this week went to see the doctor for my second appointment i was having flu the the doctor gave me antibiotic so at home they are saying that i dont have to take any medication during 3 months then i want to be sure if its fine to take those meds or not

• By K Manyata (not verified) on 28 Jul 2019 - 16:10

My pregnancy urine test was positive faint line. After 6weeks and 3 days bleeding with medium clots. After 3 days again pregnancy test was positive with faint line. After that at week 8 pregnancy test was negative. I am confused. Now it’s week 10 and no symptoms only I have metallic test in my mouth. Please suggest what to do.

• By Emily (not verified) on 4 Aug 2019 - 08:10

I, would, suggest contacting your Dr urgently. Sometimes a bleed can be the baby embedding itself into the womb but it could also be a threatened miscarriage. Please get yourself checked by a medical professional.

• By Areeb (not verified) on 8 Jul 2019 - 11:10

I am 10 week pregnant today my doctor said there is no growth and heart beat so use abortion tablet.I have no spotting no pain.what can I do

• By Juju (not verified) on 4 Jul 2019 - 21:27

Hi im 9weeks but my belly too heavyweight i cant stand straight and i spit too much..

• By Bisola (not verified) on 6 May 2019 - 09:05

Pls am worried am 10weeks and3days and I can feel my baby moving and am having a bit pain in my vagina, and I haven't started antenatal or do any scan. And its seems something is blocking my throat. Pls help me ma am worried. And I have movement at my right abdomen.

• By Lydia (not verified) on 9 Jul 2019 - 10:38

Dear u need to see a doctor or a midwife
      Was having the same problem

• By Ray (not verified) on 29 Apr 2019 - 15:37

I'm ten weeks and having little bleeding when I wake up in the morning no pain but had miscarriage before worried if it is happening again is this normal

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Apr 2019 - 03:07

I'm 10wks and 2days and I was just wondering how far along do I need to be to hear my baby's heartbeat with a fetal Doppler at home

• By Lorelore (not verified) on 30 Mar 2019 - 18:14

I'm 10 weeks today and I have been spotting. I'm a lil scared as same thing happened last October and I ended up losing the baby. What can i do or use that can help me calm down. I've been hospitalized twice in this 10 weeks, it's a very scary situation. I am taking pills that stops the miscourage but I'm scared

• By J farraday (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 21:17

I’m 10 weeks pregnant had some brown bleeding at 8 weeks scan showed everything was fine. I’ve had a lot of increased vaginal discharge no smell just milky which turns yellowy when dry. I have my 12 week scan soon but I’m so worried it’s not ok

• By M Solis (not verified) on 17 Jul 2019 - 06:10

I have had something similar I was just wondering if everything was ok

• By Michelle (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 01:49

Hi 1am 10 weeks pregnant age 50 when I was 4 weeks pregnant took a digital pregnancy test said 1-2 weeks now took response test very faint line very worried midwife did a blood test dr as the results hope my hct levels are ok.

• By Freda (not verified) on 17 Mar 2019 - 16:19

I am 9 weeks pregnant and been spotting on off (only when I wipe it seems scary), this is my 2nd pregnancy. A week ago I experienced severe backache and worsening spotting. The ER Dr diagnosed threatened abortion and ordered bed and pelvic rest. I am still cramping and spotting on/off. My 8 week scan showed baby is still active with good strong heartbeat which is reassuring. That scan also showed fibroids, and I have a history of adenomyosis. My Nurse Practitioner examined my cervix and it is closed, telling me there is old blood and some spotting could be from baby resting on fibroids. Otherwise all my blood tests have been good.
      When does spotting stop and also how do I increase my chances of continuing a healthy pregnancy?

• By Fareeha (not verified) on 12 Mar 2019 - 10:23

My nausea and vomiting stoped 10week 2 days.is im having kisses miscarriage or its normal

• By rose (not verified) on 27 Mar 2019 - 17:03

Did you find out your answer? I completed 9 weeks today. I did some tap dancing yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped feeling some background stir around my abdomino-pelvic region that I use to feel til yesterday. I am worried a lot as I already had one miscarriage before 8 weeks last year.

• By Ching (not verified) on 9 Mar 2019 - 05:31

Hi , I'm 10 weeks and 2 day's going around in my pregnancy. This is my first and I'm concerned about not being able to eat food. I'm taking my prenatal vitamins . Will it effect the baby if I do not eat much solid foods and rather have fruits from time to time?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Mar 2019 - 14:46

Hi Ching, Obviously you need to be eating as well as you can, but many women struggle in the first 3 months of pregnancy, so don't be too alarmed. If this continues you should discuss with a midwife or a dietitian who can help you to ensure that you have all the nourishment you need for a healthy pregnancy.

• By Debbie (not verified) on 6 Mar 2019 - 15:03

I'm 10 weeks and 2 days now and I don't feel any pregnant symptoms anymore is it normal? , I had my first scan at 7 weeks 6 days and the doctor said he can't hear the baby heartbeat yet is it normal ? No bleeding thou

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2019 - 12:08

Yes, this is quite normal, pregnancy symptoms including come and go during the pregnancy and this is nothing to worry about.
      If your Dr was unable to see a heartbeat during your last scan, you should have a further scan soon.

• By Pamala (not verified) on 31 Jul 2019 - 18:57

I'm also 10 weeks and 2 days today.went to my first ultrasound they said it's to early to hear the heart beat.but you can see it.and it's totally normal

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Mar 2019 - 16:50

Hi I am 10wks 1 day, and I am constantly cold....really cold. Even when I whack my heating on full blast, and wrapped up in clothes and duvet I am still cold. What is wrong with me? I thought pregnant ladies felt warmer than usual? Thank you! Xx

• By M (not verified) on 2 Mar 2019 - 11:12

I’m 10 weeks and two days pregnant and my breasts are not hard anymore is that normal

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Mar 2019 - 16:11

Yes, this is quite normal, pregnancy symptoms including sore breasts come and go during the pregnancy and this is nothing to worry about.

• By Lydia (not verified) on 27 Feb 2019 - 05:27

I am 9 weeks pregnant and still suffering with morning sickness right from day 5. I could vomit six times a day and cannot eat at all. I have been admitted twice and fluids were placed on me but is still the same . This is my first pregnancy and wonder if it can ever stop

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Feb 2019 - 10:50

Hi Lydia, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from nausea and vomiting. Here are some links below that you will find useful reading -

Take good care of yourself - Tommy's Midwife

• By Craiy (not verified) on 1 Mar 2019 - 04:01

Lydia. I am 10
      Weeks and a couple of days Ana was suffering morning sickness just like you! I was miserable. Someone told me to contact my doctor for anti-nausea meds . I did. They prescribed me promethazine. It makes me sleepy but it cuts out my nausea for days!! Complete life saver!

• By Betty (not verified) on 12 Mar 2019 - 18:43

Hi Lydia, I was the same couldn't even hold water. thankfully I discover SALT & vinegar crisps just couple of them when u feel sick, seems to help very much.

• By Danni (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 10:01

Hi. I had the vomiting upwards 10/20 times a day through all 7 now 8th pregnancies. Unfortunately some people, myself included, have this up until labour. Sickness tablets help but nothing stops it.

• By McKinzey (not verified) on 24 Feb 2019 - 04:56

Hi I'm 10 wks an 4 days pregnant.i have been spotting very lightly today an cramping in lower abdomen on left side.i have had miscarges in past.im really scared an concerned.is it normal to cramp an spot .feel not normal...

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Feb 2019 - 10:47

Hi McKinzey. Left sided pain in early pregnancy needs urgent review if you have not yet had your first scan. They need to make sure you are not experiencing an ectopic pregnancy , which is where a pregnancy starts growing in a fallopian tube. This is very dangerous if left undiagnosed, so please go to the hospital for urgent review if your pain and bleeding has continued and you have not yet been seen. Tommy's Midwife

• By Cherish (not verified) on 21 Feb 2019 - 11:13

I started feeling my baby from 7weeks today makes 10 weeks I did not feel my baby,I fine it difficult to sleep at night sleep on both side is painful but suddenly it stop and am worried about it,am feeling little cramp pains on my lower abdomen without bleeding,am really concerned.

• By Tia (not verified) on 19 Feb 2019 - 09:54

Hi!
      I'm 10 weeks and 3 days pregnant now (based on my calendar), had no scans yet. What makes me puzzled is that my belly was showing already at week 6, I coudn't fit in few of my trousers, I didn't gain any weight though, even lost 1 or 2 kg. It's my first pregnancy.
      I think my calendar is right, I got many symptoms in the beggining of week 4 (awful tiredness, sore breasts, positive test, darker line on the skin down the navel). Pregnancy wasn't planned though.
      Now it's hard to hide the tummy (I always had flat tummy), people ask did I gain weight but I don't want to explain the right reason before my scan (in 2 weeks). Also, is it hurting the baby at this stage if the clothes are tight or waistline pushes the tummy when bending?
      Thank you and regards!

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Feb 2019 - 13:57

Hi Tia, Thank you for your comment.

It can be very common to experiencing bloating in early pregnancy and this may be what is causing your clothes to be tight and for your tummy to appear increased. It is important that you avoid clothes that you are not comfortable in and wear what feels comfortable. Every woman experiences pregnancy differently, some need maternity trousers by 12 weeks other can go past 20 weeks, everyone is different. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Eunice (not verified) on 31 Jan 2019 - 20:38

Pls how healthy is it, I dnt like talking medication, am 10weeks gone, must I take these routine drugs

• By Midwife @Tommys on 1 Feb 2019 - 10:21

Dear Eunice,
      I am unsure what drugs you are referring you therefore unable to advise in detail. Any medication that is taken in pregnancy should be only prescribed as needed and be suitable for pregnancy. You should have the opportunity to discuss this with the prescriber to talk about any concerns you may have.

• By Ashley (not verified) on 12 Jan 2019 - 14:25

Hi just wondering if you have any insights on a hematoma found adjacent to gestational sac by the lower margin at 1.7 cms I was 9 weeks when they found this just wondering if this is something I should really worry about ?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Jan 2019 - 13:05

Really sorry Ashley that I can't advise you on this. Please discuss with the sonographer or with a doctor who has seen the report. Best wishes to you x

• By Jah (not verified) on 15 Dec 2018 - 16:52

Hello doc, I'm 10 weeks 1 day pregnant as of today. I'm shocked I got bleeding with blood clots today as if it was the same during 6 weeks of pregnancy bleeding for 3 days that time. I haven't seen a doctor yet. But, early this year in February to be exact my OB had seen 2 fibroids outside of the wall lining of my uterus. She said, I can still get pregnant and she was right. But, what is this bleeding all about now? Is this serious that can affect my pregnancy? Is my baby will be ok? I want to hear you opinion. Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Dec 2018 - 16:31

Hi Jah,
      you need to go to be seen at your local hospital as soon as possible. Bleeding this heavily, at this gestation of pregnancy, is not normal and further investigation is needed.
      Please take care - Tommy's Midwife

• By Sheila (not verified) on 6 Nov 2018 - 05:15

I'm 10weeks and am having pain on right side of the lower tummy the pain comes in the night. And am worried

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Nov 2018 - 15:33

Hi Sheila, Thank you for your comment.

At 10 weeks it could be that you are experiencing round ligament pain. This is where all the ligaments and muscles are starting to stretch as the pregnancy grows. If you are concerned about this then you can always see you GP who will be able to give you further reassurance. If you have severe abdominal pain or bleeding then we would suggest that you seek medical advice as soon as you can. Hope this helps, take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By amaka (not verified) on 25 Jul 2018 - 20:56

hi please am i my first trimester but suffer metalic taste in my mouth daily.. i can hadly drink water cos it doesnt taste well..i dont know if this will ever end

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Jul 2018 - 12:51

Hi Amaka
      That is a very normal symptom of pregnancy and it will soon pass. I know it is not very pleasant. Try flavoring your water with fruit or fruit juice/squash.
      Sophie Tommy's Midwife

• By Natalie (not verified) on 24 Jul 2018 - 13:37

I am 10+5 (by LMP) and have my 12 week scan in for next week at 12+1. I had a missed miscarriage in Feb, where the baby’s heart couldn’t be detected at 6 weeks. I had a scan a “reassurance scan” at 7 weeks exactly, although the baby was measuring a few days less (I’m 100% sure of my dates) there was a heartbeat and the sonographer seemed pretty happy with things. I’m terrified of going to the 12 week scan and learning that the heartbeat has since stopped. I just don’t think I can go through that again. I’ve had some cramping, particularly on the right side, but nothing crippling. Is there anything to reassure me that the baby is okay? I still have plenty of pregnancy symptoms (tiredness, sore boobs, nausea).