Second trimester: weeks 13 to 28

The second trimester is the middle three months of your pregnancy. This is a time when lots of women tell the world they’re pregnant and begin to feel like the pregnancy is more ‘real’.

weeks 13 - 28 infographic

The second trimester of your pregnancy is from week 13 to week 28 - roughly months four, five and six.

As well as feeling and looking more pregnant during these weeks, you may also have more energy than you did in the first trimester. This will come as a great relief if you have been struggling with sickness, tiredness or anxiety about getting through the first trimester.

Get weekly updates and views from our expert midwives straight to your inbox

As you go through the second trimester, you’ll gradually see your 'bump' grow and later you'll start to feel your baby moving.

Choices and decisions in the second trimester of pregnancy

You'll be offered blood tests and your second ultrasound scan at around 20 weeks. This scan looks at how the baby is growing and whether there are any causes for concern.

You have the right to say no to any test or scan that's offered. It is always your choice and the team looking after you will respect your decision.

If you haven't already thought about it, it’s a good time to start thinking about where and how you would like to have your baby. From home birth to hospital birth, you may have to make a decision. If this all seems a little scary, don't worry. Your midwife will be there to support you and tell you what your choices are. You'll go from beginner to expert in just a few weeks!

You may want to consider whether to ask if you’re having a boy or a girl when you have your scans. This is a very personal decision – some parents are excited to find out and others prefer to be surprised at the birth. Keep in mind, though, that a scan doesn’t always show the sex of the baby and sometimes what you are told could turn out to be wrong!

If you are still smoking – even if it’s just the odd cigarette – check out your local stop smoking options. If you stop smoking before the 15th week of pregnancy, the health risks for your baby go down. Stopping smoking is one of the best things you can do for the health of your baby.

Experts agree that staying active in pregnancy is good for you and your baby. You can prepare your body for the challenges of labour and being a mum by keeping yourself healthy and active during your second trimester.

Find out more about the second trimester

1.  Lee KA, Zaffke ME (2006) ‘Longitudinal changes in fatigue and energy during pregnancy and the post partum period’, Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 28 (2): 183–91
  2. NHS Choices. Ultrasound scans. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/ultrasound-anomaly-baby-scans-pregnant.aspx (Page last reviewed: 30/11/2017 Next review due: 30/11/2020)
  3. England LJ, Kendrick JS, Wilson HG, Merritt RK, Gargiullo PM, Zahniser SC (2001) Effects of smoking reduction during pregnancy on the birth weight of term infants’, American Journal of Epidemiology 154(8): 694–701:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11590081
  4.  ACOG (2010) Smoking cessation during pregnancy, Committee Opinion 471, Washington DC, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Health-Care-for-Underserved-Women/Smoking-Cessation-During-Pregnancy

Last reviewed on June 28th, 2018. Next review date June 28th, 2021.

Comments

• By Dora smarticz (not verified) on 15 Jul 2020 - 07:18

Am 16 weeks pregnant but can't feel my baby moving. Is it normal? Feel as if am not pregnant sometimes.

• By Deborah Gabriel (not verified) on 27 Jun 2020 - 11:52

I can feel my baby move am 20week

• By Mary (not verified) on 17 May 2020 - 05:46

I had my last mestration periods on 30th January 2020 and i ended on 2 February 2020. So i started meeting my husband on 7th February 2020. After some few weeks we released i was pregnant. But on 14th May 2020 we visted one of the hospitals here in Dubai. And the doctor told my husband that my pregnancy is above 5months. How is it possible really? I need your help because am coufused now.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 20 Apr 2020 - 16:17

I am 17 weeks now but don't fill comfortable sleeping on my left I prefer to sleep on my right,back or even on my tommy please it is still OK or??? And time do I need to master the best sleeping position

• By Amy (not verified) on 22 Jan 2020 - 05:28

My LMP was 11/6/19. Going off of that I thought I was 8ish weeks when I found out. Now a week or so after I found out I FEEL MOVEMENT!! I SEE MOVEMENT! How is this? I haven't even see the Dr. Yet!

• By Shaz (not verified) on 20 Jan 2020 - 18:34

I last saw my period on 25th of sep since then I have been having all the pregnancy symptoms,my belly is big and my breast have doubled in size.i went to the doctor and I did a urine test which came back negative.am confused I don't know what to do.

• By Favour (not verified) on 12 Jan 2020 - 03:42

Am 5montjs plus and my baby dont move all d time. Do i ve to worry?

• By Elizabeth (not verified) on 22 Oct 2019 - 20:42

Hi.. please im 13weeks pregnant and I have been spitting a lot since 5weeks.. would it go away on its own? And is there any medication i can take to stop it

• By Tamy (not verified) on 3 Nov 2019 - 07:16

I have the same problem. Cant swallow my saliva at all or ill vomit i hate it i cant go out i cant sit with people because all i do is spit in a cup

• By Juliette (not verified) on 23 Feb 2020 - 17:28

I have the problem of spitting can't swalo my own saliva

• By Esther (not verified) on 25 Sep 2019 - 14:57

Have been menstruting every month but I still feel am pregnant so I used the pregnancy kit and the result was negative .I went to hospital for the blood test(pregnancy) but the result was still negative after that have done the ultrasound but they still can't see the baby in my stomach .am 9wks pregnant. So please am I pregnant??

• By Reptarsmama (not verified) on 15 Oct 2019 - 03:37

Sweetheart, I'm no expert but I know that PMS can mimic pregnancy symptoms. If the test is negative, the blood test is negative and the scan are all saying no...I'm thinking that it's safe to say you aren't pregnant. Best of luck.

• By Shelby (not verified) on 16 Jan 2020 - 08:27

What makes you think you pregnant, I had a ultra sound at 7 weeks and they found the baby right away so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t of found your baby, have them check you for cyst on your ovaries some times they can cause you to look and feel pregnant

• By Onwu Ezinne Peace (not verified) on 24 Aug 2019 - 15:48

Am 28wks and 5day now but my baby never turn down so what will I do about it

• By Tietra (not verified) on 10 Nov 2019 - 13:56

Hi just saw your post, my 3rd chums was breech and I had to have an emergency c section but she was also only 29wks she's healthy as a horse! Best of luck breech pregnancies hurt alot

• By zuena (not verified) on 7 Aug 2019 - 13:48

when does the baby start kicking, and why do i have several pains of my stomach during my 20th week

• By Joan (not verified) on 25 Jul 2019 - 09:53

Hallow, i am 17 weeks pregnant and lately i have been feeling like my woumb is having seizures , it feels like the baby is vibrating ,and the feeling is most at my belly button, has any one gine through auch a thing is it normal?

• By Clysta (not verified) on 6 Jul 2019 - 06:32

I am in my 10th week of pregnancy and I have went to the doctor and seen the baby and seeing the heartbeat but as of right now mentally I don't feel like there's a baby but I know that there's a baby is this normal

• By Georgia (not verified) on 1 Aug 2019 - 17:06

Oh my gosh yes, I've just hit 20 weeks and am just now starting to feel the baby move. Until about 12 or 13 weeks I felt terrible and didn't even really feel anything about a baby except the bad symptoms of being pregnant.

• By Sakina (not verified) on 9 Aug 2019 - 13:31

It's my 3rd pregnancy and I'm 12 weeks along and I still don't feel pregnant and cant believe there's a baby in there.I think it's normal to feel this way because it's so early on.

• By Anna (not verified) on 23 Aug 2019 - 15:16

Hi Clysta, am Anna. Of course it’s normal at 10th week. But there is a baby in your belly trust me. By 16,20week you will feel the movement. It’s nothing to worry. Your baby is fine.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 4 Oct 2019 - 01:41

I’m 14 weeks with number 2 and it is normal to know your pregnant but not “feel pregnant” I’m the same at the moment but once you feel those first movements it will hit you hard that you are pregnant lol. Give it time it will sink in.

• By Sara (not verified) on 21 Jun 2019 - 22:08

Hi I'm 8 w6days pregnant, yesterday had an ultrasound scan, no fetal heartbeat seen, when I gone for 6 w6 days there was a very small tickling seen, doctor confirm the heartbeat, now at present doctor told its a missed miscarriage, why is it happened, and he ask me to wait for 1 week for the next detailed viability scan,he continued if there is any bleeding or cramping, I should meet the doctor immediately, I feel normal, I hope everything will be ok, should I expect the heartbeat next week, is there any successful stories? Please reply

• By Kahdiha (not verified) on 12 Jul 2019 - 16:35

I went through the same thing my first 2 ultrasounds they didn't see anything then the 3rd time we saw the baby and the heartbeat

• By Twinomugisha ch... (not verified) on 17 Jun 2019 - 15:52

Hello I stopped going to periods 30 match 2019 , but when I bought pregnancy test in April I was not pregnant then in June I found out am pregnant .i don't know how many weeks am pregnant . thanks

• By Margaret (not verified) on 24 Jun 2019 - 00:35

What I would recommend is contact your doc have in schedule ultra sound so they can see and if you wanna know a little bit ahead just count from the day you took your test and say at least a month comes a least a month so = 4 weeks

• By Baby (not verified) on 11 Jun 2019 - 14:07

I'm currently expecting and I'm not sure how many months I am due to the contraceptive I was on I had irregular periods that would come and sometimes never come I can't recall when last i went on my periods so I don't know when my LMP is how can I determine my EDD?

• By Angel (not verified) on 5 Jun 2019 - 07:29

LMP was 1st March how many weeks am I please

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Jun 2019 - 07:20

i had my last period on 25 of febuary 29 i want to no how many week am i

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Apr 2019 - 17:20

I had my last period on 25 November please how many weeks I'm I pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Apr 2019 - 12:57

Hi - Thank you for your message.
      if you LMP (last Menstrual period) was 25/11/2018 then you would 21+4 weeks pregnant today.

• By kylie (not verified) on 30 Apr 2019 - 17:23

Given if your start date of your last period was the 25th of november and your cycle is typically 28 days then you are 22 weeks and 2 days along as of april 30 2019.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Apr 2019 - 13:43

Is waking allowed now

• By Agatha (not verified) on 23 Mar 2019 - 13:53

Please I need advice on what to do although not to serious but I had 3 miscarriages after my first child.

• By Sharon (not verified) on 17 Mar 2019 - 11:18

Hi, am 14 weeks now but no longer feel pregnant. I just feel headaches, pain in thighs and little cramping which I wonder if it's normal, my baby bump is not even showing,am flat and don't feel the baby moving. Is my baby fine? or I should go for a check up

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Mar 2019 - 11:20

Hi Sharon,
      You have had a scan recently which I hope was all OK and no concerns from this, however if you have concerns and are worried then do contact your midwife for a review.

• By Jaz (not verified) on 10 Mar 2019 - 03:57

Hi, I'm jaz and near about 20 week pregnant but I'm not feeling the baby's movement,
      Is it normal?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Mar 2019 - 15:13

Yes Jaz, this is quite normal. If you haven't felt any movement by 24 weeks you should tell your midwife. Take care x

• By Jonafe (not verified) on 16 Feb 2019 - 15:03

I have a toothache and it was very painful. I can't even sleep well. What is the best medicine for my toothache? I'm 16week Pregnant.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Feb 2019 - 15:11

Hi Jonafe. If you live in the UK, dental care is free during pregnancy, so please go to see your dentist as soon as possible. Please do not take any medication other than paracetamol for pain relief during pregnancy and make sure you do not go over the recommended daily allowance.
      All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By lilian (not verified) on 4 Feb 2019 - 06:47

I did a pregnancy test, it came up positive. in few seconds it went off, am really scared. am I still pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Feb 2019 - 16:13

Hi Lilian, Thank you for your comment.

If the test showed positive and then faded it should still mean that you had a positive test and it can fade after a time. As long as you read the test in the time instructed on the packaging then this is the result you take. If you are unsure then we would recommend that you do another test to check for a positive result. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Jemma (not verified) on 1 Dec 2018 - 02:53

Hello, I have been having on and off pain in my vaginal area and what feels like the inner hip joints. It usually fades when I change position. I'm a bit worried. Should I see my doctor?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Dec 2018 - 14:55

Sorry Jemma but I am not able to help you without more information. I suggest you talk to your midwife or doctor for advice. Best wishes

• By BARBRA IKASAYA (not verified) on 23 Nov 2018 - 14:07

How good is the placebo and estrogen,I mean the injection how does it work in pregnant woman.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Nov 2018 - 14:55

Hi Barbra,
      I am not clear what you mean, would it be ok to drop us an email and we can talk in more detail? Our email address is [email protected]

• By Katie (not verified) on 19 Nov 2018 - 16:29

I had very mild spotting, light pink and only once when I wiped, last week @ 14 weeks. Spoke to the midwife that night and again in the morning as it happened again. As I had no cramping they weren’t concerned. The midwife did say I could attend the MAU for a scan but I wouldn’t be classed as urgent and may have to wait a while to be seen - it’s over 60 miles away so decided to leave it and keep an eye on it. It stopped and I felt fine.
      It happened again yesterday, after sex, which I was kind of expecting and it wasn’t as much as last week and again I felt fine. I didn’t call the midwife as I wasn’t worried and decided to call today just to make them aware. The midwife I spoke to this time was very dismissive and told me that because at 12 weeks the baby was fine I wouldn’t be scanned again and I would need to wait until my 16 week check next week when they will listen for a heartbeat. She also said it’s my choice if I want to avoid sex or not.
      I don’t know if I should push for another scan or just except that they’re not concerned and wait until next week?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Nov 2018 - 12:56

Hi Katie. It would be useful for you to find out what is causing this, particularly if you continue to bleed off and on. It is quite possible that it is linked to cervical changes or to sexual activity and you may not find the cause. However, ideally you should be seen and have a vaginal or pelvic assessment. You may also be advised to have a blood test to check your hormone levels or to check for infection. Try to talk to your midwife again or see your GP for advice. Best wishes

• By Katie (not verified) on 24 Nov 2018 - 10:35

Thanks for the reply.
      I had more spotting on Tuesday night which then turned into what I felt was a bleed - I felt it when I stood up and it had soaked my knickers. I had already spoken to the MAU and they advised me to go straight in.
      I was checked over - baby fine and happy and my cervix looks as it should.
      Very scary but glad it was ok as I was convinced it was all going wrong. No spotting since and only brown discharge which has now stopped too.
      Looking forward to my check up at 16 weeks this coming week to hear the heartbeat - haven’t heard it since 8 weeks!!
      Thanks again.

• By Dorathy (not verified) on 16 Nov 2018 - 09:44

Am 13wk pregnant and am bleeding it started light and it increases and my doctor prescribed a drug to me (biopentin) and am still bleeding which drugs should I take again to stop the bleeding