First trimester: weeks 1 to 12

You're pregnant: congratulations! The first weeks of your pregnancy are a vital time as your body gets busy building a baby. How exciting!

Weeks 1-12 infographic

First trimester: key stages

The first trimester begins on the first day of your last period and lasts until the end of week 12. This means that by the time you know for sure you're pregnant, you might already be five or six weeks pregnant!

A lot happens during these first three months. The fertilised egg rapidly divides into layers of cells and implants in the wall of your womb where it carries on growing. These layers of cells become an embryo, which is what the baby is called at this stage.

During this trimester, your baby grows faster than at any other time. By six weeks, a heartbeat can usually be heard and by the end of week 12, your baby's bones, muscles and all the organs of the body have formed. At this point, your baby looks like a tiny human being and is now called a fetus. He or she will even be practising swallowing!

When am I due?

Find out your due date using our due date calculator!

When will I see a midwife?

Your first midwife appointment (also known as antenatal appointment) is the 'booking' appointment. This usually happens between week 8 and 10 of your pregnancy. Find out how to register with a midwife and when your appointments will be here.

Keeping your baby safe

There are some things that you can do during pregnancy that have an effect on your baby. Find out about them by clicking the link below.

Find the complete list of pregnancy dos and don'ts (and reasons why) here

Not sure whether you are pregnant?

Find out about the symptoms that mean you may be pregnant here.

Your physical and mental health in pregnancy

We also have lots of useful tips for coping with everyday pregnancy niggles. It’s common for women to experience symptoms such as morning sickness, cramp and indigestion during the first trimester.

Don't forget that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. It's normal to feel some anxiety and stress but it shouldn't be ongoing. If what you’re feeling isn’t normal for you, talk to your GP or midwife about it. They are there to help.

Exercise, such as yoga, has been shown to reduce anxiety and is a great way to stay active during your pregnancy, too.

Read more about mental wellbeing in pregnancy

Read more about diabetes and pregnancy

Read more about pregnancy with a high BMI

Read more about exercise and pregnancy

Read about the symptoms to look out for in pregnancy

Track your baby's development

Sign up to a free pregnancy email from our midwives to track your baby's development and give you reminders of all you need to know through the nine months of pregnancy. Click here to sign up.

Find out more about the first trimester

NHS Choices. Your pregnancy week by week http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-week-by-week.aspx#close (Page last reviewed: 28/02/2017 Next review due: 28/02/2020)

Macdonald S, Magill-Cuerden J (2012) Mayes’ Midwifery, 14th edition, London, Ballière Tindall

NICE (2008) Antenatal care for uncomplicated pregnancies, NICE Clinical Guidelines 62. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence http://publications.nice.org.uk/antenatal-care-cg62

Last reviewed on June 28th, 2018. Next review date June 28th, 2021.

Comments

• By Anon (not verified) on 25 Aug 2018 - 19:30

I have a nearly 4 year old. Since then had 3 Miscarriages - one early and 2 missed miscarriages. They couldn’t find a reason apart from putting it down to me being diagnosed with Graves Disease after the miscarriages. I’m now nearly 6 weeks and GP doesn’t seem to care or to monitor me. Midwives won’t see me until 8 weeks. My Endocrinologist can only keep an eye on my thyroid levels and he said I won’t be entitled to any extra scans. I feel I am not supported or monitored enough.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Aug 2018 - 10:53

I am sorry that you are not feeling well supported. I know this is very difficult, but there is not usually a lot of support available in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. The midwives cannot offer you a booking apt until 8 weeks at the earliest and there is no real checks that the GP could do to check on the pregnancy before 16 weeks. The only way to check you, is for you to be referred to your local early pregnancy assessment unit. You will need to be referred by your GP to be seen there. At the early pregnancy clinic, they may offer you a trans-vaginal scan , as it is too early for an abdominal scan. They would only offer you a blood test if there is concern about the growth of the fetus at trans-vaginal scan or if you have had some bleeding. I know it is very difficult in these early weeks. Due to your history of x3 miscarriages though, you should be offered reassurance scans in the early pregnancy assessment unit, so please do get your GP to make the referral asap for you. If you have any further questions - please call or email us as this part of the website is not manned in the same way as our midwife email or phoneline. All the best - Tommy's Midwife

• By Amanda (not verified) on 25 Aug 2018 - 08:11

Please help me, I have my last period on 11th July 2018, since then I have not seen it again, but I feel tired every morning, could it possible that I'm pregnant and how many weeks pregnant please

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Aug 2018 - 10:44

Hi Amanda
      You need to do a pregnancy test to be sure one way or another. If you have been having unprotected sex, then it is possible that you might be pregnant.
      If you are pregnant, then the most you would be is 7 weeks pregnant now according to your last period date, so this would certainly show up on a pregnancy test.
      If the pregnancy test is negative and you have still not seen a period, it is important that you go to your GP as you may need referral to a gynaecology clinic.

• By Joy (not verified) on 20 Aug 2018 - 21:37

My last period was 5th may had sex with my hubby 25th May. I've not seen my period since then . Is it possible I'm pregnant . I'm yet to do pregnancy test.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Aug 2018 - 16:09

Hi Joy,
      If you are having unprotected sex and you have not had a period since May 5th you could be pregnant. Please do a pregnancy test today.
      If you are worried or need any further advice email us at [email protected]
      Warm wishes
      Anna-Tommy's Midwife

• By Katso maila (not verified) on 7 Sep 2018 - 18:46

My last period was on the 9 September till the 11 September ,after that I have sex with my man.and 2 day I had my menstruation with clod but was not much and it's stopped. I did the pregnancy test said negative .am i pregnant?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Sep 2018 - 16:49

I would suggest repeating the pregnancy test if you think you might be pregnant-sometimes the hormone levels have not yet risen enough to give a positive result. If it is positive please contact your GP or maternity unit for a referral to start your antenatal care.
      I have attached a link with more information for you-

• By Lina (not verified) on 13 Aug 2018 - 03:41

Had irregular periods as well diagnosed by a gynecologist I had polycystic ovaries, my last period was may 29 2018 so uhm this was a really unexpected and not sure what to do next or how to proceed with this....

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Aug 2018 - 16:13

Congratulation on your pregnancy. Please don't worry, Make an appointment to see your doctor and he/she will guide you to the next steps. And you can read all about it on our site.

• By Rebecca (not verified) on 11 Aug 2018 - 18:14

I am 7 weeks pregnant and I have some symptoms but not peeing a lot I am worried that something is wrong

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Aug 2018 - 16:11

Hi Rebecca, There is no reason to be concerned. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water and this will increase your fluid output. Many women have no symptoms in early pregnancy and it is quite normal. Take care

• By Pankaja (not verified) on 9 Aug 2018 - 08:42

My last peried date is 22/06/2018 I confirmed pregnancy on 3/8/2018

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Aug 2018 - 16:09

With these dates your due date will be March 28th 2019. Best wishes

• By Lawrenta okunrobo (not verified) on 17 Aug 2018 - 12:27

My last period date is 29/6/2018 i confirmed pregnancy on the 7/8/2018

• By Midwife @Tommys on 17 Aug 2018 - 12:50

Hi - If the date of the first day bleeding in your last menstrual period (LMP) was 29/06/2018 you are 11+2 days pregnant and your estimated due date (EDD) would be around 05/04/2019.

• By emelda (not verified) on 6 Aug 2018 - 22:37

I had periods two times in June. The Last was on the 28th and the doctor confirmed that I'm pregnant. How far am I now?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Aug 2018 - 16:05

Hi Emelda
      Using your LMP of 28th June, you would be approx 5-6 weeks pregnant today.
      They will give you an accurate gestation and due date at your 12 week scan.

• By Diana Gheorghiu (not verified) on 8 Sep 2018 - 13:17

You have bleeding one week after you get pregnant. You should be like 10 weeks

• By Adriana (not verified) on 2 Aug 2018 - 03:59

I just found out I’m pregnant!:)
      My last period was June 26-30.
      I found out I was pregnant July 30th. I have yet to see my midwife but I’d like to know how many weeks am I ? Thank you :)

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Aug 2018 - 13:09

Dear Adriana,
      According to your date you are about 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is based on you having a regular 28 day cycle. You can also use our calculator too: https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/im-pregnant/use-our-pregnancy-calculator-find-out-your-due-date
      In case you are not already, then do start taking a folic acid supplement.

• By Roshan (not verified) on 20 Aug 2018 - 20:35

I am also expecting pregnancy. Somewhere inside me I feel that I am pregnant. I have stomach ache. Sometimes like cramps. Sometimes near to belly button or around belly button. I am feeling puking. But tiredness is there. I had my periods on Jul 26th. When is that I can check my pregnancy. What all I should do to be safe until I find I am pregnant. Everyone pls pray for me. I really need a baby. I don't want my periods this month and coming next 9 months. Pls keep me in your prayers.

• By Roshan (not verified) on 20 Aug 2018 - 20:36

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Aug 2018 - 16:03

Hi Roshan,
      if your periods are regular you could do a pregnancy test on August 22nd.
      I am thinking of you and hope very much that it is good news this month.
      Warmest wishes
      Anna-Tommy's Midwife

• By ?? (not verified) on 28 Jul 2018 - 06:09

Hi I’m 6 weeks and 6 days pregnant, I miss carried in 2013 at nearly 12 weeks but now I’m worried because I have hardly any if at all any discharge! Is this normal?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 30 Jul 2018 - 14:11

Yes this is quite normal. Some women report increased vaginal discharge in pregnancy but not every woman. Pregnancy symptoms in the first few weeks vary hugely and are not predictive of a successful outcome. Take care and try not to worry x

• By Anje (not verified) on 27 Jul 2018 - 07:35

I have done pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive now I want to knw how many week pregnant I'm now.. And when can I visit the doctor

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 27 Jul 2018 - 13:24

Hi Anje,
      We calculated how many weeks you are from the first day of your last period, if this was the 1st of July then you are about 3 weeks and 6 days pregnant. You can use our calculator here: https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/im-pregnant/use-our-pregnancy-calculator-find-out-your-due-date
      You can see your doctor whenever your are ready in the next couple of weeks. If you are not already we do advise for you to be taking folic acid as soon as possible.

• By xyz (not verified) on 23 Jul 2018 - 08:29

i am pregnant now so how many weeks preganant am i?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Jul 2018 - 15:28

Hi Xyz - using your above LMP, you would be approx 7-8 weeks pregnant today
      Congratulations

• By Nadine (not verified) on 18 Jul 2018 - 19:15

So I have been infertile for over 10years due to complications from the birth of my 3 child.
      Mainly I had blocked tubes. 2 years ago I fell pregnant, miscarried at 6 weeks, I went on to have another 6 pregnancies all miscarried at around 6 weeks.
      I am pregnant again I am on progesterone pessaries. My HCG was 14 and progesterone was 48 now my HCG is 30 and progesterone has fallen to 26. Tests are 48 hours apart.
      I don’t know how many more times I can do this! I don’t see the doctor until next week for more tests. Normally they give me levels then tell me there’s nothing more they can do, then they hang up and I’m left to just deal with it alone.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Jul 2018 - 13:30

Hi Nadine, Thank you for your comment.

We are so sorry to hear about your miscarriages, we cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through at this time. As you have had more then 3 reoccurring miscarriages you can be referred to one of the Tommy's Miscarriage clinics. If you go to this link it will tell you your nearest Tommy's Miscarriage clinic and how to get a referral from your GP https://www.tommys.org/our-organisation/help-and-support/clinical-trials
      If you make an appointment with your GP they will be able to refer you so that you can be seen by one of the specialists. If you need any further support or have any questions then please email on [email protected] Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Nadine (not verified) on 19 Jul 2018 - 20:10

Thank you for your reply.
      I do not meet your criteria to come to 1 of the centres. I am 38 years old from wales and my miscarriages have been early miscarriages. I have looked at all the criteria’s for different centres but I don’t come under any of them, unfortunately. I’m just going to be another lady going through this that doesn’t get any support until 1 day I might meet the right criteria.

• By Sindhu Siva (not verified) on 12 Jul 2018 - 03:44

My last period was on 30May2018. Urine pregnancy showed positive. Yesterday (11Aug2018) visited doctor and early pregnancy scan was done(trans vaginal scan). Not foetal pole/ yolk sac noted(exact term as given in the report) but sac measuring 0.3cm seen in endometrium. Doc suggested blood hcg test and yet to get the results. During initial days faint line was noted in upt, yesterday evening and today morning I repeated upt at home and got strong positive. I am worried please help me.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Jul 2018 - 16:11

Hi Sindhu,
      I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a confusing time in this pregnancy. It is difficult to know what is happening at the moment, I am afraid I am unable to say. HCG monitoring will showing if the levels are falling or rising helping to give a better idea if the pregnancy is continuing and they should also offer you a repeat scan, usually in two weeks time. It is difficult to be in limbo at the moment, please look after yourself and use the support you have around you.

• By Sindhu Siva (not verified) on 12 Jul 2018 - 18:46

Thanks for the reply:-)

• By krp (not verified) on 12 Jul 2018 - 03:37

My last period was June 16th. Had intercourse on June 27-28. Tested positive today 7/11.

• By krp (not verified) on 12 Jul 2018 - 17:34

when is my due date

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Jul 2018 - 13:38

You have not provided any dates therefore I am unable to advise when your baby is due, you can use our calculator to work out your dates if this helps: https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/im-pregnant/use-our-pregnancy-calculator-find-out-your-due-date

• By Amal (not verified) on 7 Jul 2018 - 07:07

my LMP was 25/5/2018 i tested both blood and urine and it was positive I recently did an u/s and the DR said there was no Foetal pole, he said come back again after 2 weeks for another U/s your pregnancy is positive but can't see now
      so when i should go whats my pregnancy weeks dua date

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Jul 2018 - 15:50

It is best to wait for the next USS before trying to date your pregnancy. Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't develop as expected and sometimes the dates are incorrect. Until your next USS it isn't possible to know what is happening.

• By Christine (not verified) on 5 Jul 2018 - 09:07

I had my periods 2 times in may Dat was at the beginning of May and the second one on 19-21 may. I didn't see my periods in June, I tested positive on 30th june

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2018 - 15:34

Hi Christine, Thank you for your comment and congratulations on your pregnancy.

If the first day of your last period was around the 19th May then you should be around 6-7 weeks pregnant. Going from the dates that you have given, conception may of occurred at the beginning of June. If you are unsure of your dates then it is advisable to go and see your GP who should be able to refer you for an early dating scan then you will know for sure. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Amy (not verified) on 4 Jul 2018 - 14:51

HELP PLZ
      I did a pregnancy test 3 times yesterday 3/7/18 and its positive. But my ladt period was from 6 to 10/6/2018 i didn't have intercourse untill the 17/6/ 2018. How can i be pregnant? and how many weeks am i? am confused because i had an ectopic 2016 November . And am panicking. Help HELP plz

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jul 2018 - 15:53

Hi Amy
      Using your last menstrual period date of 6th June, the most pregnant you could be is 4 weeks pregnant today. But if you had intercourse on the 17th June, then you may only be 2-3 weeks pregnant max
      Only an Ultrasound scan can accurately date the pregnancy by correlating your last menstrual period date and the baby's growth.
      Please visit your GP to get your maternity care/ultrasound scan booked and/or to review your options.
      Sophie, Tommy's Midwife

• By Me (not verified) on 4 Jul 2018 - 14:11

I had a miscarriage early this year and went on contraceptives,they treated me badly and I got off them I recently did an u/s and the DR said there was no Foetal pole,she did a round of blood tests and said I must come back again for another U/s m very nervous and needed a second opinion.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2018 - 14:13

Hi, Thank you for your comment.
      It is normal practice that if you are very early in your pregnancy then it can be difficult to see anything on scan as the pregnancy is so small. The Dr is right is asking you to come back in a few days to have another scan, this way they will of given enough time for the pregnancy to have grown, they will expect to see something on the next scan. It can be a nervous wait when you want answers but try and stay calm while you are waiting for your blood results and scan. If you have any concerns then please contact your local early pregnancy unit. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By stella obi (not verified) on 4 Jul 2018 - 09:51

I had sex wit my boyfriend on d 19/04/2018 and my LMP was 12 April pls when is my due date and many weeks pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jul 2018 - 16:05

Using your LMP of May 12th, you would be no more than 10-11 weeks pregnant today. This will be confirmed on ultrasound scan alongside fetal growth.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 4 Jul 2018 - 23:04