Ovulation calculator

Each woman's menstrual cycle is different, so getting to know your body better can improve your chances of conception.

This ovulation calculator allows you to find out when you'll be most fertile, and what your due date would be if you got pregnant on these dates.

Ovulation calculator

What was the first day of your last period?

What is your average cycle length?

Are you ready to conceive? Take our quick quiz to find out.

For the best chance of getting pregnant, you need to maximise the chance of your fertile egg and your partner's sperm getting together. You can only get pregnant on the few days each cycle around ovulation, when an egg is released.

When is the best time to conceive?

To increase your chances of getting pregnant, you need to get your fertile eggs and your partner's sperm together as often as possible. You can only get pregnant on the few days each cycle around ovulation, when an egg is released.

How does the menstrual cycle work?

• Your cycle starts on the first day of your period and continues up to the first day of your next period.
  • At the same time, eggs begin to mature in the ovary.
  • The lining of the womb thickens ready for fertilisation.
  • During ovulation your cervical mucus becomes thinner and clearer to help the sperm reach the released egg.
  • About 10 to 16 days before the start of your next period, an egg is released from one of the ovaries (ovulation).
  • If sperm is present at the moment of ovulation, or some time during the next 24 hours, the egg may be fertilised.
  • If the egg has not been fertilised, the egg is re-absorbed by the body, the hormone levels drop, and the womb lining is shed. This is the beginning of your next period.

Read more here about how pregnancy works

Conception and sex

To boost your chances of conceiving, aim to have regular sex throughout your cycle so you know that there should hopefully be good-quality sperm waiting for the time that the egg is released. An active sex life is all most people need to conceive.

If you are quite sure when you ovulate each month you can give yourself the best chance of getting pregnant by having sex in the days leading up to ovulation. Continue having sex during ovulation. After this your fertile time will be over for that cycle.

Taking a pregnancy test? Read about how pregnancy tests work.

How to spot the signs of ovulation

Ovulation usually happens about 10 to 16 days before the start of your next period, so  it helps to know your cycle length before you start trying to conceive.

You may never have considered when you might ovulate within your cycle, and if you have been using a hormone contraceptive such as the Pill, you won’t have had a natural menstrual cycle for a while.

As a first step, mark on your ovulation calendar the dates that you bleed during a period. You can then count how many days from the first day of your period to your next period to work out the length of your cycle.

Cervical mucus changes

The cervix secretes mucus throughout the menstrual cycle, starting off sticky white and gradually becoming thinner and clearer.

Before and during ovulation the mucus increases and becomes much thinner, slippery and stretchy. Women often compare it to raw egg white.

This thinner mucus is designed to help the sperm swim easily through it. It indicates that you are in your fertile phase, so this is the time to have sex if you want to get pregnant, but use contraception if you do not!

The last day you notice the wetter secretions is sometimes known as ‘peak day’ and for most women this occurs very close to the time of ovulation.

Temperature

You can also find out about your menstrual cycle by keeping a note of your temperature each morning when you wake up. Your temperature rises by about 0.2°C when ovulation has taken place.

As it is only an indicator that you have ovulated, and doesn’t tell you when your fertile time starts, this is not very useful for most women.

Using ovulation test kits (also known as ovulation predictor kits)

Ovulation predictor kits are available from chemists and are fairly simple to use. They work by detecting a hormone in your urine that increases when ovulation is about to take place.

The simplest ovulation test kits check for luteinising hormone (LH), which surges 24-36 hours before ovulation. This will help to identify the best two days for conception, although a woman can be fertile for a day or so before and after this time.

It is best to become familiar with your usual menstrual cycle to help figure out when you should start testing. If you have an irregular cycle then an ovulation predictor kit can help you identify the time of ovulation, but expect to use more of the test strips.

1. Macdonald S, Macgill-Cuerden J (2012) Mayes’ midwifery: a textbook for midwives, 14th edition, London Balliere Tindall

Your stories of planning for pregnancy

• Couple Amanda and Judd with daughter Shelbie

Story

Importance of planning for pregnancy

Amanda, 26, and husband Judd, 29, from Essex, adopted a healthier lifestyle when planning to have a baby. They now have a daughter called Shelbie.

• Hayley, Sam and baby Amaryllis

Story

“One chance for a baby”

Hayley, 27, and Sam, 28, a barista from Lincolnshire knew their health conditions would make conception a challenge. But they didn’t give up. Following fertility treatment, they now have a daughter, Amaryllis. This is their story.

• Claire Gale

Story

“I knew I was ready to try again”

Claire Gale, 30, and husband Mark, 32, from Bournemouth always wanted a family. Last year and 8 weeks into her pregnancy, Claire miscarried, but she trusted her body to tell her when it was time to try again for a baby.

• Lauren with her baby Cherry

Story

Our emotional pregnancy journey

Lauren, 33, from Essex, and her husband Victor, 33, struggled to conceive and endured a miscarriage and pre-eclampsia before they had their beautiful daughter Cherry.

Last reviewed on June 13th, 2017. Next review date June 13th, 2020.

Comments

• By Cole (not verified) on 9 Dec 2019 - 15:48

Just started my menstruation today (4days), pls how do I calculate my ovulation and my chance of getting pregnant

• By Hally (not verified) on 22 Nov 2019 - 11:34

I had my period on 2nd of November and I had unprotected sex on 10th of November a day to my ovulation what is the tendency, pls I need an urgent reply.......

• By Diva (not verified) on 20 Nov 2019 - 23:43

My last period was on October 16. 2019, I had unprotected sex on 8th 2019 November and now my period is late. Can I be pregnant. Please help

• By Ayoade adenike (not verified) on 27 Oct 2019 - 20:42

I started my menstruation 14th October and ends 20th October wen is my ovulation date

• By Meena (not verified) on 15 Oct 2019 - 03:37

My mensturation sep 17 and I have Intercourse in sep 5, so I got pregnancy is possible or not, and I have 2month baby and give breast feeding please help me

• By Oyise hope (not verified) on 1 Oct 2019 - 18:51

I saw my period last month 24 and ended 27

• By Olayemi (not verified) on 8 Oct 2019 - 14:59

I did my 1st period on 3rd of last month and another 26th of last month too when was my ovulation time pls help me

• By Michelle (not verified) on 16 Oct 2019 - 18:59

If you have a regular 26 day cycle then you could have ovulated between the 10th - 15th of the month.

• By lulu (not verified) on 27 Sep 2019 - 14:56

I saw my period last month August 27 is it normal I see on 27 September

• By caitlyn (not verified) on 7 Nov 2019 - 15:14

yes. it is a 30 days cycle

• By Ruby (not verified) on 22 Sep 2019 - 12:02

I can sex after periods 7 days is it the any chance of pregnancy

• By Crystal (not verified) on 30 Sep 2019 - 14:58

I had sex with my husband after my 7 Day of my menstrual cycle is it a chance I can't get pregnant

• By Olivia (not verified) on 15 Sep 2019 - 06:41

My menstruation started today 15 September 2019, i want to know my days, i want to works towards getting pregnant immediately and my ovulation day, i need twins thanks ..

• By Sirisha K (not verified) on 20 Sep 2019 - 08:36

Why am getting stomach pain and abdominal pain during ovulation days

• By Kanya (not verified) on 1 Oct 2019 - 14:15

I had test, the result says I'm 3+ now I'm confused cause, I think I got pregnant on 6th September

• By Lydia (not verified) on 17 Oct 2019 - 21:03

I will appreciate

• By Angel (not verified) on 14 Sep 2019 - 19:47

I had my period on d 12 August 19.I had sex with my bf 5 datz after....ad later had sex with my ex 10 later.now am pregnant Hw do I knw who is d father

• By Michelle ross (not verified) on 10 Sep 2019 - 13:11

i started my period on the 23rd of august and finished periods on 27th august has unproted.sex on the 1st september is it possible i could be pregnant i am getting cramping in my lower stomach

• By Faith (not verified) on 10 Sep 2019 - 08:45

I saw my period on d 12 on August and I had unprotected sex nd he came in me.6 of September plz I wanna no can I be pregnant be4 my next period

• By Mukhsina (not verified) on 9 Sep 2019 - 21:52

I had sex just the next day after my period and it was unprotected sex.can I get pregnant?

• By Puso (not verified) on 4 Sep 2019 - 04:40

I had ectopic pregnancy in 2018 since then I have been trying to get pregnant again but no lucky I even know my ovulation time bt still no baby.
      I’m loosing patience now..because I always test negative results n it’s hurting

• By MY NAME IS RUKAIYAT (not verified) on 30 Sep 2019 - 21:57

MY COMMENT IS THAT I HAVE ECTOPIC SINCE 2015 TILL DATE I CAN CONCEIVE WHAT WILL I DO

• By zeynep (not verified) on 29 Aug 2019 - 02:11

please help me i try with my partner for a baby but is nothing not helping

• By Rachel (not verified) on 28 Aug 2019 - 16:58

Hi everyone, I have never written in a forum before but I just wanted to share and see if anyone has had a similar experience to myself. I have a 4 year old son who has a different dad to my partner I am now with, xmas just gone we fell pregnant very soon into our relationship and we were both happy but unfortunately I started to bleed when I thought I was 11 weeks! So went for scan the said I was measuring 6 weeks and there was a sac and no embryo or yolk, went back a week later there was a yolk, went back another week after they said no yolk now and no growth and I would loose the pregnancy. I was devistated and it has really ruled my life for a while now, I finally miscarried a few weeks later naturally and then waited and a few months later I think it was May cycle I got a positive test as I was a week late, anyway the next day after I took the test I came on so I think I had a chemical miscarriage. Then in June I started to get pregnancy symptoms yet again and decided this time to not take a test BUT this time my period was on time so not sure if that was one or just period symptoms like sore boobs! So the past 2 months I have had 29 day cycles both perfectly normal and we are going to try again this month but I am so so scared. I have been going for acupuncture and eating healthy ect but I'm so worried there is something wrong with me or my partner and it gives me anxiety every day and rules my life. Hope someone can maybe relate thanks Rachel x

• By Shay (not verified) on 8 Sep 2019 - 15:28

Hi, I just went through something similar but it was called embryonic pregnancy 1 week there was my baby the following week there wasn’t no baby just a sac and I’ve miscarried a few weeks later. I’m trying to have another baby but I think something is wrong with me because this is my 2nd miscarriage this year 2019. And I’m devastated because I have severe depression and anxiety and by me losing my babies back to back make me scared to keep trying.

• By Lisa (not verified) on 1 Oct 2019 - 06:48

Don't give up I had two miscarriages two but I started taking prenatal vitamins everyday and I drunk Geritol everyday and I was on a good diet I ate real healthy and I finally had my baby girl so don't give up just put it in God's hands you have a baby

• By Rachael (not verified) on 26 Sep 2019 - 22:02

Hi there, it sounds like you have had a really tough time. My advice would be focus on some lovely time with your new partner. Relax together and have a little romance. Baby making is much more likely when you aren't stressed. Sadly lots of pregnancies don't end in babies. Focus on each other and connecting and let nature take its course. Two of my babies were conceived on holiday and I'm certain the fact we were happy and relaxed had a lot to do with it. Make sure he isn't smoking and drinking so his swimmers are good quality! Good luck xx

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 17 Aug 2019 - 17:01

Had my period last 15th july 2019, made use of my ovulation period, after my ovulation window, spotted for 5 continues days. I am late for 5 days now, took my home pregnancy test today and its negative. What can be the problem?

• By Ruby Couch (not verified) on 20 Aug 2019 - 23:04

Give it another week

• By lerato (not verified) on 8 Aug 2019 - 11:43

if i was period last month at 1-14 days so now im my its not come what happen for me.and next month i having sex with man im pregnant

• By Daniela (not verified) on 6 Aug 2019 - 00:02

A lady that started her ovulation on the 4th of August,on that same 4th of August she had sex with her husband,but the husband did withdrawal syndrome,is there any possibility that the lady will be pregnant

• By Susan cole (not verified) on 2 Aug 2019 - 03:42

I had sex on the 21st if July , but my period comes on the 3rd of August. However, when we first started he didn’t uses condom for like 3 minutes then he decided to put it on. Can I still be pregnant?

• By ada (not verified) on 31 Jul 2019 - 09:35

I stopped taking family planning peals in April and I saw blood stains in June 10 to 12 and its 28 June my pregnancy result is negative pls what do I do

• By Euchariai (not verified) on 3 Aug 2019 - 12:33

Pls was pregnant on December, on January i had a miscarriage, but since then am not pregnant again,what should i do,i mensurated on 10th of last month,and ovulated on 23rd but no pregnancy,pls what to do

• By Chioma (not verified) on 30 Jul 2019 - 14:33

Please i saw my period on 28th of July when is my ovulation time,26 days cycle

• By Leticia (not verified) on 1 Aug 2019 - 10:19

From 9th to 12th

• By Katie (not verified) on 4 Aug 2019 - 08:25

06 Aug till 12 Aug is your ovulation date.

• By maggie (not verified) on 26 Jul 2019 - 12:52

if I started my period on the 7th and then ended on the 11th when do I ovulate ?

• By Nwaneri chidinm... (not verified) on 26 Jul 2019 - 06:10

I felt wet on the 24th of July n I had a quality sex with heavy discharges of sperm, but after that day I didn't feel wet again,does it mean I have conceived.

• By Oliver (not verified) on 25 Jul 2019 - 14:20

My menstrual cycle varied from 26 days before to 29 days last month and 32 days this month. I am trying to conceive but haven’t been able to since 6 months. Could you please help me with my ovulation date. My period started today on 25 July 2019.Please reply . I desperately need your help.

• By Ama (not verified) on 24 Jul 2019 - 11:21

I had my menstruation on 19th June and finished on the 9th of July plz want to know my ovulation date

• By Gloria (not verified) on 19 Jul 2019 - 13:42

I had my periods on the 23th june to 27 june and had some spotting on the 7th-8th July, and now am in periods yet l thought that am pregnant. What could be the problem. Worried

• By Minnahat Williams (not verified) on 11 Sep 2019 - 23:33

Hi! Am Mrs Williams.
      I saw my period on10 of August, I have sex
      on 19,21, 29,and 4 September. Am I pregnant?
      because I fill something like ball, moving in my womb.

• By Bola (not verified) on 18 Jul 2019 - 18:29

My june period came on 9 while my July period came on 11 how many cycles did I have and when is my ovulation date

• By Connie (not verified) on 3 Aug 2019 - 13:16

Hi can I asked you I had my ovulation on 1st of August 2019 and I have unprotected sex with my husband so we want a baby,so I want to know if it is possible to fall pregnant/should I expect a baby?

• By Felicia (not verified) on 17 Jul 2019 - 10:13

I had my last period on the 2nd of july 2019 and i happened to have protected sex on 11 july, but however the condom bursted. Is it possible that i might be pregnant

• By Jessica (not verified) on 13 Jul 2019 - 15:09

My last period was on 2 June and this month was on 5th my circle is 34?pls I'm looking for a baby boy which day is perfect to have sex help me pls

• By Tokozili (not verified) on 19 Jul 2019 - 09:28

I want to have a baby boy last month my first period was on 30th Now I want to know my circle and the days I will be ovulation

• By Rrrrrrrr (not verified) on 19 Jul 2019 - 13:49