Painful urination in pregnancy

If you have a painful or burning sensation when you wee (urinate), you may have a urinary tract infection (UTI)

Pregnant women can be more likely to get UTIs because of the changes the body goes through. This is one of the reasons why your midwife will test your wee at every antenatal appointment.

What are the signs of a urinary tract infection?

Symptoms of a UTI include:

• discomfort in the lowest part of your stomach (pelvis)
  • back pain
  • loin pain (your sides between the lower ribs and pelvis, and the lower part of the back)
  • needing to wee a lot or an uncontrollable need to wee
  • cloudy, foul-smelling (fishy) or bloody wee
  • a raised temperature (over 37.5°C)
  • feeling sick (nausea) and vomiting.

What should I do if I have a urinary tract infection?

If you get a UTI in pregnancy, you will need treatment with antibiotics that are safe to use in pregnancy. Your GP will ask for a sample of your wee so that it can be tested to make sure that you are put on the correct antibiotic. Find out more about drugs and medications in pregnancy

This is not an emergency, but it should be treated as soon as possible.

NHS Choices Urinary tract infections https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/urinary-tract-infections-utis/ (Page last reviewed: 12/12/2017 Next review due: 12/12/2020)

Last reviewed on September 28th, 2018. Next review date September 28th, 2021.

Comments

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 14 Aug 2019 - 11:28

Hi I'm 4months pregnant but I have a burning urine for 2 months plz help

• By Meli (not verified) on 7 Jul 2019 - 01:22

I feel a burning sensation when pee. It just started today, I feel I have to pee every 5 minutes. Please help

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 21 Jun 2019 - 15:11

I am 5 weeks pregnant and for the first time today I have notice that I have black specks in my urine. I have no pain and nothing else abnormal. I haven’t seen a gp as it Can take two weeks to get an appointment, I self referred but am waiting for my booking appointment. Should I book an emergency appointment to see the gp?

• By Lola (not verified) on 4 Jun 2019 - 20:33

I have epilepsy and 23 weeks pregnant. I had my scan at 20 weeks I warned the sonographer I felt like baby was down. which they said was and named on my green notes “deep cephalic position” I know baby is still head down as movement are left side and above vagina. I have the urge to wee every 10 minutes everytime baby moves I feel it in the canal which which the last few hours Is accompanied with like a scratch? I am also today extremely run down and fever.

Can you help? (Second baby)

• By Sophie Thuli (not verified) on 24 May 2019 - 17:28

I am 39 weeks pregnant diagnosed with UTI and I got treatment from my clinic but no change. I am experiencing severe pain in my back and abdominal.. Please help me.. M sacred it might affect my baby

• By Tolu (not verified) on 23 May 2019 - 19:06

I’m 3month pregnant and I’m having pain my stomach each time I wee and I noticed it yesterday

• By [email protected] (not verified) on 20 May 2019 - 18:55

i have a burn when unirating and now i am seing blood like measuration. am i still pregnant

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 14 May 2019 - 03:30

Hi I’m not sure if I’m pregnant yet, too soon to find out but I’m getting really bad cramp in the lower of my stomach to the point where I cry and every time I try to lay down it hurts more and I run to the bathroom cuz it feels like I have to poo and I do but it won’t come out and when it does it hurts really bad! Idk what to do I’m scared to go to the doctors

• By Tina (not verified) on 13 May 2019 - 15:56

I am 19weeks pregnant, noticed for 2days now, when I go pee I feel this pain on my lower abdomen towards end of the pee, no burning sensation no itching, no blood and I pee normal quantity pee

• By Daniella (not verified) on 27 Jun 2019 - 04:29

Me too!! I have the exact same thing at 19 weeks. Did you end up figuring out what this was?

• By Nailah (not verified) on 5 Aug 2019 - 12:32

Me too! Has any of you found out what it was?

• By Aloka Biswas (not verified) on 3 May 2019 - 11:03

Hy,when i go to pee then very pain and 8 to 10 time pee per hour. Please tell me what to i do and what is the medicine i used.

• By Amna (not verified) on 28 Apr 2019 - 11:09

Hi I am Amna, I am 6th week pregnant , there was dark brown clot when I urinite .Dr diagnosed me UTI..now I am feeling lower abdomen heaviness(like periods are about to come ) pain in back ...cold hand feet .is it OK? Dr did not suggest me for Scan

• By Katelyn (not verified) on 21 Apr 2019 - 03:59

Hello im 11 weeks pregnant and I find when my bladder is full in the middle of the night I have sever pains as I walk to the bathroom when I first sit down to pass my urine when my bladder is full its very painful have looked into this no signs of UTI OBGYN says but I do not understand why at this time its so painful only when I have a full bladder. It's not all the time only during the night.. Had sonograms everything looks fine with baby. Just wondering if this is a normal thing???? Has anyone experienced this it's my first pregnancy. Looking for answers please.. thanks

• By Sarah (not verified) on 30 Jun 2019 - 15:06

This is my second baby and with both anytime my bladder was too full I catch lower stomach pains. Back pains. Idk what it is but after I pee it’s all better. Ima assume its pressure because my OB has no idea either. He says it’s normal actually. A full bladder makes an uncomfortable home for baby.

• By Annonymous (not verified) on 21 Jul 2019 - 13:21

Im 32 weeks and im having the same problem! Lower abdom hurts like cramps with full bladder and i feel much better after i pee.

• By Ayoola (not verified) on 6 Apr 2019 - 07:15

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and am always having this stomach pain that makes me feel tired and dizzy then this frequent urination pls what's the problem

• By Painfull urination (not verified) on 27 Mar 2019 - 20:47

Hi i'm sky when i unrin im feeling pain and a smelly fishy unrin smell i dont know if im pregnant

• By Pumza (not verified) on 17 Mar 2019 - 18:25

Hy I think it's 4weeks pregnancy, problem is can't eat vomiting all. The time loosing energy and burning when urinating realy I'm stressed

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Mar 2019 - 11:29

Hi Pumza. It sounds like you have a urinary tract infection if you have burning when urinating- you need to go to your GP to get your urine tested and for them to give you oral antibiotics to treat it. Please do this urgently. Whilst you are there, you can discuss the vomiting too. Take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Jenny (not verified) on 1 May 2019 - 05:48

Hey Pumza, i think you're having a Urinary Track Infection (UTI). I also had in my 4th week.
    Go check with your Dr. right away, to get it treated.

• By aobo (not verified) on 16 Mar 2019 - 01:26

Pls I have this very painful feeling when I pee,recently, I discovered blood with some tiny particles
    Pls,what can I take?
    I am 5weeks pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Mar 2019 - 11:27

Hi Aobo
    It sounds like you have a urinary tract infection- you need to go to your GP to get your urine tested and for them to give you oral antibiotics to treat it. Please do this urgently. Take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Lloyed (not verified) on 5 Mar 2019 - 21:43

Hi my wife is 14 weeks pregnant and she is having pain urinating and painful under the stomach nd is been 2 days ,, please help

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2019 - 12:17

Hi - Thank you for your message.
    It sounds like your wife may have a UTI, which is likely to need oral antibiotics as treatment. She will need to get a dr's appointment urgently to be seen and to have her urine tested for infection. Please do this urgently as untreated UTI's can cause complication in pregnancy. Please take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Emma (not verified) on 18 Jun 2019 - 20:46

I am 39 weeks pregnant and when I urinate there is brown in it ,, I'm also getting a lot of pressure and shooting pains up through my private I am booked in next Tuesday for c.section as baby is breech what could this be or is there a need to go hospital

• By Sheena (not verified) on 27 Feb 2019 - 11:07

I feel like i need to go washroom but i when i do , i just get few drops of urine but there remains a feeling that it is still inside ,, i keep sitting for around 10 mins and then again only few drops come out and that too very painful ... it is happening from last two days

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Feb 2019 - 14:10

Hi Sheena
    It sounds like you have a UTI, which is likely to need oral antibiotics as treatment. You need to get a dr's appointment urgently to be seen and to have your urine tested for infection. Please do this urgently as untreated UTI's can cause complication in pregnancy. Please take care, Tommy's Midwife

• By Priyanka (not verified) on 21 Apr 2019 - 11:29

I have same problem n m 3months pregnant

• By Hanaan (not verified) on 15 Feb 2019 - 19:53

Hi ,I am 6week and 2days pregnant but when I go to weee but I got right side pain what should I do ?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Feb 2019 - 12:47

Hi Hannah
    You need to go to your GP asap to get your urine tested - it sounds like a urinary tract infection and you might need antibiotics. Please be seen as soon as you can. Tommy's Midwife.

• By Chelsey (not verified) on 13 Jan 2019 - 19:29

Hi I have serve pain in my stomach to the point where I start crying cuz it’s painful I try. Going the toilet to see if that helps but it makes things worse I have been the hospital about it before and they didn’t seem very helpful?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Jan 2019 - 10:33

Hi Chelsey,
    How are you feeling? I am not sure how pregnant you are or whether you are having an issue peeing or if you are constipated?
    Please get back in touch if you are still having problems.
    You can email [email protected]
    Anna-Tommy's Midwife

• By Hillary (not verified) on 1 Jan 2019 - 21:56

I have a serious painful Sharp pain on my lower left abdomen,the pain is so sever that I am unable to walk properly,discomfort ,I can't sleep even.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Jan 2019 - 15:54

Hi Hillary. If this is still ongoing, and you have not been seen by your midwife or doctor yet, then please go into be seen as soon as you can for review. Any abdominal pain, at any gestation of pregnancy , needs urgent review. Please take good care of yourself. All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By Ken (not verified) on 19 Dec 2018 - 21:11

Hy,my name is Ken...my girlfriend is experiencing a very painful feeling when she pee,yellowish and smelly,sometimes her urine is redish ..looks like its mixed up with a bit blood..,unbearable pain on the womb..she's 1 month pregnant.. please help

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Dec 2018 - 16:12

Hi Ken, She should go to see her GP. She may have a urine infection (UTI) which should be treated if she is pregnant.

• By Alisa (not verified) on 19 Nov 2018 - 17:04

I have really big pain in my lower abdomen and each time I urine I have a stinging burning sensation and there is brown discharge coming out is this normal ?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Nov 2018 - 14:41

Please see your GP as soon as possible as it sounds as if you have a urinary tract infection. During pregnancy it is important to treat these infections with antibiotics. You should also drink plenty of water.
    Take good care of yourself

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Nov 2018 - 22:34

Hello I’m about 4-5 weeks pregnant and I’m having a irritation and uncomfortable feeling around my vagina but are also experiencing some small bumps on the skin down below. Should I be worried?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Nov 2018 - 11:09

During pregnancy, it is common to experience some skin changes and irritation. It is also more common to experience vaginal thrush which is a possible cause to your irritation. If it continues then do speak with the GP for a review.

• By nisha (not verified) on 13 Oct 2018 - 18:35

Every 5-10 mins I'm wanting to wee. And when I wee I'm having a slight pain in abdomen, and only a tiny tickle comes out which hurts me.. And I'm having constipation also..

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Oct 2018 - 16:46

Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water to dilute your wee and see your doctor as soon as you are able. I assume you are pregnant and we treat urinary tract infections with antibiotics in pregnancy.

• By Jasmine puca (not verified) on 3 Sep 2018 - 20:09

Hi. Im weeing normal and im 24 weeks pregnant since 3 days ago i have pain on my bladder and when i am weeing i am having burning pains but no blood or anything has happened what shall i do?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 10 Sep 2018 - 16:49

Hi You should go to see your doctor who may consider a course of anti-biotics if you have a Urinary tract infection (UTI). Try to drink plenty of clear fluids and make sure that your pee is not too concentrated. It may also be sensible to avoid intercourse until your symptoms have resolved. You can't pass a UTI to your partner but it is likely to make sex uncomfortable or even painful.

• By Rebecca (not verified) on 11 Aug 2018 - 09:00

I think I may have a UTI I’m getting to the point I’m bursting for a wee but only a tiny trickle comes out and it really hurts but I still feel I need a wee then 10mins or so later I try again and I end up having a full proper wee I’m 30weeks pregnant is this normal? Would I ring my doctor or maternity unit (today is Saturday)

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Aug 2018 - 16:52

Hi Rebecca, I hope you are more comfortable now. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water so that your wee is well diluted. If you think you may have a UTI please see your doctor who will most likely take a urine sample for analysis. However, at 30 weeks this can happen if the baby is sitting on your bladder. This may be why you were able to empty properly after you walked around. Discuss with your midwife if it doesn't improve. Take care

• By Blessing (not verified) on 21 Jun 2018 - 17:34

pls,is it safe to take nitrofutoin?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Jun 2018 - 15:25

HI Blessing,
    Yes it is thought to be safe to take in pregnancy however it should be prescribed for you by a doctor.

• By Parameshwari (not verified) on 6 Feb 2018 - 13:09

I am carrying 20weeks pregnancy, i am having burning urination since 2days,& constipation.
    Plz reply me soon.