Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

5 weeks pregnant - all you need to know

It’s week five and your baby’s tiny face is already starting to form - the beginnings of a tiny nose and eyes are already taking shape.

Week 5 infographic

What does my baby look like?

Your tiny baby is 9mm, about the size of a little fingernail now.

Your baby’s hands and feet are still just little buds. Their skull bones close around their tiny, primitive brain.

The outer layer of the cushiony amniotic sac develops into the placenta. Its cells grow deep into the wall of your womb, creating a rich blood supply.

Your placenta will give your baby nutrients (food) and oxygen through their umbilical cord.

It has three vessels: One thick vessel carrying oxygenated blood and nutrients to the baby (they won’t breathe through their lungs until they're born - which is why waterbirths are safe), and two thinner vessels that carry blood containing waste-products back into your circulatory system.

The placenta is a remarkable lifeline that also keeps bacteria and viruses away from your baby.

Get weekly updates on your baby's development from our expert midwives straight to your inbox.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 5

Pickles and ice cream – all about cravings

Have you been having cravings? Or maybe you’ve taken a sudden dislike to one of your favourite foods? Cravings aren’t uncommon in pregnancy but don’t worry if you don’t get any, because that’s very normal too. Read about the 10 most-common pregnancy myths.

What to do in week 5

Choosing the best nutrition for you and your baby

You might find it hard to believe you are truly pregnant as you are unlikely to have seen a midwife yet, but it’s time to start looking after yourself and your baby. This week we’re looking at food and nutrition in pregnancy.

Your body is working hard to grow a baby but it’s also very efficient, which means there’s no need to ‘eat for two’. You won’t need any extra calories until your final trimester (and at that point you will only need an extra 200 calories a day – about half a sandwich). If you have morning sickness eating small meals often to keep your blood sugar levels steady.

Find out what 200 calories looks like.

Not doubling your calories will also help you manage your weight in pregnancy. Find out more about how much weight you may gain here.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet in pregnancy will give you more energy and ensure your baby gets all the nutrients it needs.

“I used to eat a lot of junk food, but when I was pregnant I took healthy snacks to work instead - fruit, yoghurts and almonds - and I drank a lot of water.”

Nadia, mum of one

Find out more about managing your weight in pregnancy.

There are certain vital supplements in pregnancy: make sure you take a folic acid supplement to help your baby’s neural tube develop, and vitamin D.

What foods are off limits?

Trying to remember all the dos and don’ts in pregnancy – like which foods to avoid - feels complicated, but don't worry, and don't be too concerned if you have eaten something that is on the list, the risk is small. Talk to your midwife if you can't stop worrying about it.

Read our tips to avoid food poisoning.

Vegetarian or vegan?

It’s fine to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet in pregnancy but make sure it is varied and includes all the food groups. Learn more about planning your vegetarian or vegan diet to ensure your baby gets enough vitamin B12, riboflavin, iron, zinc, calcium and iodine.

Cutting down on caffeine

Too much caffeine is harmful to a growing baby so it’s important to limit your intake to 200mg a day now that you’re pregnant. You might be surprised to learn that caffeine is not just found in coffee, but also in tea, chocolate and energy drinks! Decaffeinated tea and coffee, fruit juice or water are all good choices if you are used to drinking a lot of caffeinated drinks. Use our caffeine calculator to see how much caffine is in your diet.

1. Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Jonathan Cape
  2. BMJ (2008) Maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy and risk of fetal growth restriction: a large prospective observational study BMJ 2008; 337 :a2332
  3. NICE (2010)  Dietary interventions and physical activity interventions for weight management before, during and after pregnancy, Public health guidance 27, 2010

Waterbabies logo

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By Claire (not verified) on 17 Feb 2018 - 19:48

I’m about 5 weeks and 4days pregnant with my 3rd child I’m suffering from very mild backache and mild pelvis pains. I don’t really have any symptoms and worried something could be wrong. Is this normal

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Feb 2018 - 14:39

Hi, Lots of women report aches and pains in early pregnancy. While I can't rule out miscarriage there could be many other reasons for the discomfort. If the pain gets any worse please see your GP for advice.

• By San (not verified) on 25 Jan 2018 - 03:18

I am 5 weeks and 2 days but for the last few days I have a really uncomfortable feeling under my right rib do I need to go to doctor with this?? Starting to worry me this is my first pregancey so don't no way to expect..

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Jan 2018 - 11:35

Hi, Thank you for your comment.

This early on in your pregnancy, a discomfort under your right rib may not be pregnancy related as the uterus is still well within your pelvis at this time. It is difficult to say what this could be but if this discomfort has been on going after a few days then it may be worth seeing your GP if you are concerned. They will be able to examine you and give you any treatment or advice if needed. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Francesca (not verified) on 21 Jan 2018 - 19:14

Hi.
    I went for an early ultrasound at what should’ve been 6w1d due to painful cramps for several hours. I was scanned and I was showing at just over 4 weeks and there wasn’t anything to see. I’ve got to go back in 2 weeks but I’m really worried in as I’ve had a miscarriage before but last time there was bleeding. I have irregular cycles so the ultrasound tech said that it may well be ok.
    I suppose the question I’m asking is if I have miscarried then is it possible I’d have no symptoms of this at all? The cramping lasted only about 48hrs and was on and off.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Jan 2018 - 16:18

Hi, Yes it is possible that a miscarriage doesn't show any symptoms initially, but it is reassuring that you have irregular periods as this could account for the dates being different and if you have no other symptoms there is every chance that this pregnancy will continue. Try to be patient and wait for the follow up appointment in 2 weeks as this will give you a clearer picture of what is happening. Best wishes

• By Michelle (not verified) on 14 Jan 2018 - 20:21

I know the anti seizure tablets I've been taking are safe, as been told by doctor. I had a big operation 2 years ago and I have suspected seizures. I'm also on gabapentin for pain relief for headaches I am 4-5 weeks pregnant and unsure due to a lot of circumstances about what to do as this was a shock. Will gabapentin be harmful to baby? Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Jan 2018 - 16:21

Hi. Please make an appointment to see your GP. All medications are personal and your GP will weigh up risks and benefits for you and discuss options. It is not advised to stop a medication without discussion with your consultant or GP.

• By Megan (not verified) on 23 Oct 2017 - 17:06

I've been with my partner for around 3 months we were together before but my ex partner I was on the pill and using condoms, I had my period on the 11th of September for around 4/5 days it's was heavy and red I had took pregnancy tests from the end of I gust upwards and found out I was pregnant on the 16th of October if I was pregnant to my ex would it have shown up sooner? People are saying I'm showing slightly but I've been eating A LOT a lot more than usual...

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 Oct 2017 - 09:32

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry you've been worrying. As you're sure of your period and you were using contraception with your previous partner you are 6+1 weeks today. You won't be showing at this early stage of pregnancy but if you're appetite is bigger at the moment maybe this is the reason. You need to see your GP and he/she will refer you to the midwife. You will also have your first scan usually between 11-13 +6 weeks. This will also date your pregnancy.
    I hope this helps.
    Wishing you a healthy pregnancy
    Anna-Tommy's Midwives

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 13 Aug 2017 - 15:14

Pls help. I just found out I'm pregnant. 5 weeks already but I took ketoconazole tablet 2 weeks ago for skin itching. I'm so confused right now

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Aug 2017 - 16:13

Hi. Unfortunately there are no studies on pregnant women for us to know whether this is safe in early pregnancy. That doesn't mean it is unsafe, it means that we don't know. Why not discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist for their expert advice. Best wishes x

• By Jess (not verified) on 19 Jul 2017 - 09:53

I've just recently found out that I am pregnant, but during the last couple of days I have been have cramps in my stomach most of the time it feels like period pains other times its just like I've got a stitch in my sides, I don't know if this is normal as this is my first pregnancy

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Jul 2017 - 10:41

Hi Jess
    It can be normal to get some cramping in the early first couple of weeks of pregnancy- which often corresponds to implantation of the cells into the uterine wall.
    But if this abdominal pain is constant and intense, more on one side than the other, causes fresh red blood from down below or anything that concerns you then it is worth booking an emergency Gp appointment. The GP can refer you onto your local early pregnancy assessment unit which involves a review and sometimes a scan if they are concerned about your symptoms.
    Please take care of yourself and feel free to call us on 0800 0147800 if you have any more concerns.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 12 May 2017 - 19:53

Hi. I'm 5 weeks pregnant and blood group o negative. I have had an ectopic pregnancy and a missed miscarriage (10 weeks) in the past. Following both of my losses I was never given anti d injections. I'm now worried that this might impact on this pregnancy. Is my baby at risk due to my blood rh negative status?
    Lesley

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 May 2017 - 16:22

Hi Lesley, The guidelines state that anti D does not need to be given after a miscarriage before 12 weeks. https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/anti-d-after-miscarriage---query-bank/
    When you go for your first set of routine blood tests usually before your 12 week scan, they will test to check that you don't have any abnormal antibodies in your blood. You will then be advised to have a routine injection of anti D at 28 weeks.
    Best wishes Tommy's midwives x