Miscarriage - information and support

Going through a miscarriage can be a very sad, scary or lonely experience. We hope our information answers any questions you have during this difficult time.

What is a miscarriage?

A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 24 weeks. Sadly, miscarriages are a common complication, with most miscarriages happening in the first 3 months of pregnancy (first trimester) .

Losing a baby is a deeply personal experience that affects people differently. No matter when in your pregnancy you miscarry, you may need support to help you come to terms with what’s happened.

Tommy’s is here to help you. You can talk to a Tommy’s midwife for free, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. You can call them on 0800 0147 800 or email [email protected]. All our midwives are trained in bereavement support and will be able to talk to you about what you’re going through.

Find out more about what support is available.

Miscarriages are often referred to as early or late, although there are other types of miscarriage too.

What is early miscarriage?

Early miscarriage is one that happens in the first 3 months (first trimester) of pregnancy. Most miscarriages are early miscarriages.

Unfortunately, early miscarriages are very common and may happen before a woman realises she is even pregnant. In most cases, it is not possible to give a reason why an early miscarriage happens.

Find out more about early miscarriage.

What is late miscarriage?

A late miscarriage is one that happens after the first 3 months (second trimester of pregnancy, but before 24 weeks (during your second trimester). If a baby dies at or after 24 weeks of pregnancy, this is called a stillbirth.

It can be very hard to understand why a very late loss is called a miscarriage rather than a stillbirth. This is because, from a legal point of view, a baby is thought to have a good chance of surviving if they are born alive at 24 weeks.

This distinction can be upsetting for some women who have a late miscarriage because they may also give birth to their baby and, understandably, feel that it should be called a stillbirth.

Late miscarriages are not as common as early miscarriages and happen in 1-2% of pregnancies.

How common is miscarriage?

Miscarriage is more common than people realise. Up to 1 in 5 women will experience a miscarriage in their lifetime. Many miscarriages are unreported and some go unnoticed as it happens so soon.

Find out more about how common miscarriage is.

What are the symptoms of miscarriage?

Bleeding

The most common sign of miscarriage is vaginal bleeding. It’s common to have light bleeding or spotting without pain before 12 weeks, so this doesn’t mean you are having a miscarriage. But if you have any bleeding in pregnancy, with or without pain, you should contact your midwife or hospital straight away.

Other symptoms of a miscarriage include:

Can I prevent miscarriage?

We don’t always know why miscarriages happen, which makes it very difficult to prevent them.

It is important to know that miscarriages very rarely happen because of something you did or didn’t do. And it’s important to remember that there is nothing you can do that will guarantee that you won’t have a miscarriage. However, we do know that there are some things that increase your risk of miscarriage that you can change.

Find out more about preventing a miscarriage.

Was it my fault?

When your healthcare professional can’t give a reason why you miscarried, it can be very difficult to come to terms with. Without having a reason why, some women and couples end up unnecessarily blaming themselves for what happened. We have answered some common questions that we hope will stop people blaming themselves.

Find out more about why did I miscarry and was it my fault?

Why does miscarriage happen?

Unfortunately, we still don’t know why every miscarriage happens. Sometimes, your doctor may be able to offer you some tests and find out the cause of your miscarriage. If this happens, you may be able to have treatment to help prevent it from happening again.

It’s important to know that sometimes doctors will not be able to find a reason why you have miscarried. Try not to worry too much if this is the case. Most couples are likely to have a successful pregnancy in the future.

Our research

Tommy’s is funding the cost of the UK’s first national Miscarriage Research Centre and aims to halve the number of miscarriages by 2030 by funding medical research.

1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss or preterm birth – and most parents never find out the real reason why. Our research is entirely dedicated to finding out why miscarriages happen and how to prevent it in the future.

Find out more about our Tell me why campaign.

Read more about miscarriage

Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (2016) Early miscarriage https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/pi-early-miscarriage.pdf

Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (2012) Recurrent and late miscarriage: tests and treatment of couples https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/pi-recurrent-and-late-miscarriage---tests-and-treatment-of-couples.pdf

NICE Guidelines (2019) Ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage: diagnosis and initial management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng126

NHS Choices. Miscarriage symptoms https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/symptoms/ (Page last reviewed: 01/06/2018. Next review due: 01/06/2021)

Last reviewed on February 6th, 2020. Next review date February 6th, 2023.

Comments

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Aug 2018 - 12:41

Hi Sian
      I am sorry to hear this has happened again. Please do encourage your daughter to call us if she wishes to get any further advice or support.
      All the best at this difficult time

• By Sian (not verified) on 1 May 2019 - 17:39

My daughter went on to have a full pregnancy she was a week overdue with a son she went to a& e on Monday with labour pains the midwife monitored Michael heartbeat for 30 minutes and checked my daughter cervix and said she wasn’t dilated and she was in establish labour and that she will be reduce on Wednesday she sent my daughter home that day Monday at 2.05 am my daughter scream for me she was having the same pains as before and she said I think his coming he was I delivered my stillborn grandson at home it was heartbreaking the paramedic arrived 2 minutes after Michael was born the tried to resuscitate Michael to no avail my daughter was taken to hospital in Tunbridge wells and place in delivery suite room 3 and stayed overnight with her still born son and she can hear everyone having there babies why she with her so wanted son it not fair

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Apr 2018 - 06:23

I am currently having my 5th miscarriage, which felt like it had been brought on by an early scan @7wks. I have fairly light bleeding but awful cramps for the past 5 day. The earliest I can be seen for a scan is two weeks away so they can't give me anything to speed up the process prior to confirming the pregnancy has ended. My 4th miscarriage lasted 2.5weeks before I could be seen and have the 'product' (horrible word) removed - stuck behind my large fibroid. Recurrent miscarriage investigations locally have just been a few blood tests and a scan and "we don't think the large fibroid is the problem". I am on a waiting list for counselling from my previous miscarriage 6 months ago. I feel totally alone in this with no support.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Apr 2018 - 16:08

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriages and can only imagine what a difficult time this has been for you. Is there any family member or friend you can talk to about this as it must be so difficult feeling so alone.
      It may be worth contacting your hospital to see if you can have your scan sooner than 2 weeks.
      As you may know, Tommy's supports Miscarriage Research centres in Birmingham, Coventry and London-your GP can refer you to one of these as you do fit the criteria of having had 4 miscarriages- I have attached a link with more information about these centres and the referral process-

We also have Tommy's PregnancyLine-0800 0147 800 if you would like to speak to a Tommy's midwife about how you are feeling.
      You can also contact us by [email protected]

I have also attached a link to the Miscarriage Association who also offer support and information
      Hope this helps
      Take care

• By Mrs burke (not verified) on 25 Jun 2018 - 17:58

I have suffered 3 miscarges in the last 2 years after going under investigation they found a small fibroid in my uterus they have said to me to the 'don't think' it's a problem however I can have removed if wished after going home and researched a lot on these fibroids they can cause miscarge im now on the waiting list to have mine removed have you not been given the chance of having removed?

• By Anne (not verified) on 11 Mar 2018 - 22:22

We had a scan at 8&3 and everything was ok. I started feeling better at 9 weeks...reading up on this it can be natural at this stage. At 10&2 I noticed my breasts weren't sore anymore - more reading confirmed can be natural at this stage. 11 weeks, bleeding and lower back pain. Hospital confirmed cervix closed - babies heart stopped 8&5. I was just on the cusp and able to take medical management which I took the next day. After 6 hours I was getting significant pain but little blood and started to suspect that something was wrong...2 hours later and having exhausted the 4 types of painkillers I was prescribed I was in agony and starting to gush blood. I knew that the pregnancy was stuck in my cervix and rushed into hospital. Half an hour in, still in agony, I was getting my very much wanted pregnancy pulled out of my cervix with what can only be described as a metal knitting needle. The first two days afterwards I was very much still in shock from the physical aspect of what happened. But now i'm really starting to worry...would I know if damage was done to my cervix during this procedure (pain etc)..could this result in preterm loss of a pregnancy in future due to cervical incompetence..can I ask to be checked for this now or if I get pregnant again in future. Do i need to go back in for a scan to check everything has cleared. Do I have an increased risk of infection. When can I safely have sex again..........I have looked extensively online and there is very little coverage of aftercare in this situation. It was a very traumatic experience and as someone who finds comfort in educating themselves to help deal with problems I'm finding this lack of information very stressful. I'm not able to contact the hospital as I was abroad when this happened so feel adrift as to where to get information.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Mar 2018 - 15:08

Hi Anne, So sorry to hear what you have been through and we understand how difficult it is when you lose your much wanted pregnancy.
      It is very unlikely that any damage was done to your cervix and cervical incompetence is not a likely consequence related to this procedure. The operation involves gently opening your cervix with a small metal tube and removing any remaining pregnancy tissue with a suction device. The risk of infection is very low and most women have only light bleeding for a few days afterwards. You can resume intercourse when the bleeding has stopped and when you feel ready.
      You are welcome to call us if you want advice or just to chat. We are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm. Best wishes from Tommy's midwives

• By Jackie (not verified) on 27 Jan 2018 - 09:09

After light bleeding at 11wks a scan showed only 6wks and no heartbeat. We were booked to return a week later for follow up scan. On Monday I had a natural miscarriage passing most that evening but ended up in a&e hospital with excessive bleeding. Scan next day only showed 3x1.5cm retained tissue which i'm waiting to come out naturally and due to have another scan next week. My questions are firstly what will happen if scan shows tissue still there as I really do not want surgery and also if I was unfortunate to have another miscarriage next time would I have the excessive bleed again the same (just so I can be prepared)? The gynecologist at the time said I had highly ? (Something cant remember the word) that meant lot of blood vessells which is why I had heavy bleeding. Thank you.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jan 2018 - 14:12

So sorry to hear what you are going through. in answer to your question, if there is still tissue present at your next appointment, you will be offered either an ERPC surgery or medical management. If you choose medical management you will be given either a tablet or a pessary of a medication called Mifepristone or Misoprostol. This will cause your uterus to expel the remaining products of conception. If though you experience very heavy bleeding again you should go back to A/E. About 2% of women have such heavy bleeding that they require a blood transfusion. There is no strong reason to suggest that you will experience this again in the future. This link may help you. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/what-happens/#medication . Best wishes to you x

• By Kisan (not verified) on 5 Jan 2018 - 09:40

Sir we had some tissue like blood loss 3weeks after pregnancy and the ultrasound result was not clear due early pregnancy.and doctor advice us to take ultrasound after 2 weeks.why he hesitate to my problem

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jan 2018 - 16:26

I am sorry to hear that you are having a worrying time during your pregnancy. In early pregnancy, it is difficult to be very accurate and the doctor needs to be sure what is happening therefore it is guidance and routine practice to have scans two weeks apart to monitor for any growth or changes with the fetus to confidently confirm whether a miscarriage has occurred or if the pregnancy is continuing. I understand waiting two weeks feels like a long time and this is very frustrating not knowing what is happening. If we can support you then please do be in touch. Take care x

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Jan 2018 - 17:48

Hello, I went today for my dating scan. I had a scan at 7 weeks which showed a heartbeat and viable pregnancy. Today they told me there was no heartbeat. I had miscarried Jan 2017 at 5 weeks. To say we are devastated is an understatement. Now just waiting for baby to pass. Want to try again but now too scared of the same thing happening again. I know there was nothing we could do but to see a heartbeat and then have it taken away is heartbreaking.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jan 2018 - 16:14

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby and what you are going through at the moment. It is completely understandable to be feeling so devastated and scared that it may happen again. It is all very raw at the moment as only happened recently. Please know that we are here to support you, you can call us 0800 0147 800 or email us [email protected] We are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm so do be in touch if we can help at all. Take care x

• By Rebecca (not verified) on 4 Jan 2018 - 19:48

Thank you for replying. I am booked in for surgery tomorrow but have just started bleeding. I am angry at my body for harbouring this secret for so long. Today I learnt that it is more common than I realised and nothing I did caused it. Once tomorrow has happened the healing can start for all of us.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 29 Oct 2017 - 20:26

Hi I had a misscarrage with my first pregnancy, I was 10 weeks but sadly my baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. I had a natural misscarrage at home and the bleeding lasted a few days after. I had 1 normal period the month after that lasted just over a week and have just missed my 2nd period this month. Iv had no period pains either. Is this normal? I took a pregnancy test as we started trying again after my first period and it came back negative, I'm so confused and scared I wont be able to get pregnant again

• By Midwife @Tommys on 30 Oct 2017 - 14:28

Hi. It is quite normal for your periods to be irregular for a time after you have a miscarriage. Try not to worry about this. Even if your periods have been regular until now it may be a few months until you get back to normal. Try to ensure that you are eating and exercising well and this will give you the best chance.

• By Adele (not verified) on 15 Aug 2017 - 12:08

Hi I suffered a miscarriage on Saturday at 9 weeks - blighted ovum - still bleeding today (Tuesday ) but not heavy , tonight I get this horrendous stabbing sensation down below ! Very bad for about an hour ! Took two pain killers and now it's gone -... What was it? Is it normal

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Aug 2017 - 12:25

Hi, We are so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. We hope you have lots of care and support around you.
      Take good care of your self

• By rose tyler (not verified) on 31 Dec 2017 - 09:18

Had a miscarriage at 5 weeks pregnant. And was told I wouldn't be able to get pregnant again

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jan 2018 - 12:49

Hi Rose, Thank you for your comment. We are so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, this must be a difficult time for you. If you would like to talk about this more or would like further advice then please contact the Tommy's Midwives on 0800 0147 800 or email on [email protected] We would like to hear from you if we can offer you any support. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Lisa (not verified) on 15 Oct 2017 - 17:33

Pls help hurts more than they said it would. 16 wks. Choose to do at home naturally. Very bad pain right now feeling much pressure in my vagina area. They didn't prepare me I should've done d/c hubby here what to do pls it hurts ob said I'm ok but I'm scared

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Oct 2017 - 11:29

Hi Lisa
      It sounds like you need to take yourself to hospital urgently and by ambulance if you are bleeding a lot! . I am so sorry to hear that you are loosing your baby at 16 weeks, i know that this is very difficult for you, but you need to ensure the health of yourself in hospital as it can be dangerous to deliver at home in these situations. Please get into a hospital urgently so that they can take care of you!

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 9 Jul 2017 - 15:16

Hi I have just miscarride last month on the 1 June and after that I have this shap pain on my left and right side of the abdomen ,it just pinch and pass, and now the other day we had unprotected sex and I'm afraid Im pregnant again and what's worse is that I'm still having those pinching pains , I went to the doctor and she said maybe it was because my womb is still swollen after D&C , please help me because I'm thinking of getting pills to take out the pregnancy if I'm pregnant because I'm afraid of raising my hopes up again .

• By Midwife @Tommys on 10 Jul 2017 - 16:07

Hi, We are so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It can take a few weeks for your body to return to normal and it isn't unusual to have occasional pains in the weeks after. However, it this continues you should return to see your doctor who may refer you for a scan. Regarding a possible pregnancy, the emergency contraceptive pill must be taken within 5 days of unprotected sex or the IUD contraceptive device can be inserted within 5 days to prevent a pregnancy. I would advise that you make contact with a family planning clinic as soon as possible. Best wishes

• By Charlene (not verified) on 27 May 2017 - 21:16

I miscarried Monday 22nd May, I bled until Friday morning. It's the 27th and the bleeding has started again, pretty heavy and it is bright red and I'm passing a lot of small clots. I'm getting cramps and back pain is this normal? This is my second miscarriage this year, the first was pretty straightforward and nothing like this. Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 31 May 2017 - 09:20

Hi Charlene
      I am so sorry to hear of your 2nd miscarriage.
      I think it would be sensible, if you haven't already done so, to seek medical attention either at an early pregnancy unit or your GP if the bleeding has subsided. If the bleeding is very heavy, then i would urge you to go to a&e as a matter of urgency. Please also feel free to email us on [email protected] or call us on 0800 0147800 to speak to one of us privately. Please take good care of yourself

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Apr 2017 - 12:46

Hi, I'm still getting abdominal bloating, stabbing pain on my left side and when I sit, it feels like my insides are being pushed up. I had a natural miscarriage 14th March (passed the last bit).

I've been examined at the GUM clinic (didn't know where else to go as had no advise or support) and they say I'm fine but they didn't scan to see if everything had gone. Should I still be in this much physical pain

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Apr 2017 - 16:43

Hi, thank you for posting. I'm sorry that you are still in agony a month after having a natural miscarriage. I don't think you should still be in as much physical pain and I would advise you to go back to your GP so that you can be assessed and referred for a further ultrasound if indicated.
      Please let us know how you get on.
      Tommy's Midwives

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 17 Apr 2017 - 16:06

Hi Tommy’s Midwives

I went back to the GUM clinic where they made me feel stupid for being there and sent me on my way with antibiotics because they said it's probably my PID flaring up. I haven't taken the antibiotics because my partner and I had been having unprotected intercourse, so incase pregnant again (still not menstral education since miscarriage), I didn't think it wise to take them.
      The pain I was having has subsided completely without medication so who knows what the pain was.
      Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Apr 2017 - 10:16

I'm sorry you had a difficult time at the GUM clinic - I would advise in future to see your GP regarding any care related to your natural miscarriage or pregnancy in general.
      It is advisable to take antibiotics prescribed to you for any infections - especially if you are trying for a baby. If you are concerned about the safety of the antibiotics prescribed to you I would strongly advise you contact your GP and discuss if they are safe to be taken, as well getting pre-conception advise and support. Please also start taking folic acid if you haven't already.
      Best Wishes

• By Emily (not verified) on 28 Feb 2017 - 14:45

I'm so confused...please help? In 2014-15 I sadly suffered 3 miscarriages, late 2015 I was selected for and took part in the Resonse trial at Southamptons Princess Ann, and I was blessed to have a little boy. The results are still pending but I'm convinced I had the drug...

Following my pregnancy I went on to have an issue with my thuroid, however this seems to have recovered, but the Dr advised I have tested positive for thyroid peroxidase...and has referred me to see an endocrinologist. This appointment isn't until June.

This month I have suffered a further miscarriage, after falling pregnant unexpectedly...I'm not thinking of trying for a baby just yet but certainly am thinking about that in a few months time.

Should I be asking my GP to be referred back to the multiple miscarriage clinic in Southampton, to your teams at Tommys? Or would the endocrinologist deal with this issue?? Alternatively would there be any private clinics that would look at this...?

Or are my thyroid and miscarriages likely to be unrelated?

Thank you in advance....Emily

• By Midwife @Tommys on 2 Mar 2017 - 16:03

Hi Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry to hear about your recent miscarriage and hope that you are recovering.
      Thyroid disease is thought to be linked to an increased risk of miscarriage, it may be helpful if your endocrinology appointment can brought forward if you are hoping to try for a baby again soon.
      As this is your 4th miscarriage I would suggest discussing with your GP if you can be referred back to the multiple miscarriage clinic. Alternately he may refer you to a Tommy's National Miscarriage Centre-these are located in London, Birmingham and Coventry if you are able to travel.
      I hope this helps and I have attached 2 links that may be helpful to you
      Please contact us on Tommy's Pregnancy Line 0800 0147 800
      if you need any more information

• By Louise (not verified) on 27 Feb 2017 - 06:15

I had my miscarriage back in July 2016 and still to this very day I still don't want to believe it, I know that may sound silly as its been 7 months and I know my baby is gone but I'm scared that if I let it really sink in that I may just fall apart, I know that I need to really understand what has happened, but I'm scared of talking about it, is this normal to feel like this so long after a miscarriage cause all my friends say I'm silly for feeling like this.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Feb 2017 - 11:41

Hi Louise.
      The way you are feeling is not uncommon or "silly" at all! You are still in the process of grieving for your baby.
      You really might benefit from some counselling - if you visit your GP and feel that you can discuss how you have been feeling, then they can refer you for some additional support in your local area.
      Counselling is a great way to air your concerns and emotions in a safe environment, with a professional who can help you to understand and cope with your loss. This is not for everyone, but it might be worthwhile for you, so it is worth a go.
      If you feel that chatting with one of us on the midwifery team would be useful to you, you can call us on 0800 0147800 Mon to Fri, between 9am and 5pm. We get a lot of calls from women and their partners who have suffered the loss of a baby at any gestation. We are not trained counselors, but we are trained in bereavement care.
      Please do take good care of yourself and feel free to contact us if you feel that this would be good for you.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 13 Jan 2017 - 10:14

My first pregnancy was healthy and I have a 18 month old. Sadly the second pregnancy ended in a natural miscarriage at 9 weeks gestation. We tried again immediately, before my period arrived and fell pregnant straight away, sadly after confirming the 3rd pregnancy on home tests, I started bleeding again (around 4'ish weeks gestation) blood HCG was 6. Did we try again too soon? Could my uterine wall have been insufficient? There is very little information/ scientific evidence/ research on when to try again/ trying again before a full cycle. We are keen to try again now, I have stopped bleeding and as I am due to ovulate next week. Should we wait until the next cycle? Are there any basic tests I can get my GP to run now (? Folate, B12, ferritin, clotting).
      Many thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Jan 2017 - 12:33

I am so sorry to hear that you have been through two miscarriages. The general advice is to wait a full cycle before trying to conceive again, this generally is to make dating the next pregnancy easier and more accurate. If you feel emotionally and physically ready to try to conceive again then you can do this straight away. With regards to the tests you are asking about, as a general rule tests are not offered until a woman has experienced 3 miscarriages in a row therefore it is unlikely that these will be offered to you, however some GPs are prepared to do some tests before this time depending on your maternal and medical history. If you would like to talk in more detail then please do email us [email protected]

• By Rachel (not verified) on 11 Jan 2017 - 20:53

Hello, I had a D & C on the 28th Dec after finding out a week earlier that our baby died at about 11 weeks.
      We are interested in trying again.
      I am seeing lots of positive stories on the internet that you can try again when you have stopped bleeding, which it appears i am. The reason to wait for your first period is for dating. However the pregnancy tests are accurate to the week and the dating scans can confirm your 'stage' too. I do not want to endanger a tiny baby by being hasty but are there any reasons to wait for a period before trying?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Jan 2017 - 10:52

Hello,
      I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your baby at the end of last year. As you stated usual advice is to wait until you have had a period before trying to conceive again however as you said this is simply to date the pregnancy for accurately. If you feel physically and emotionally ready to start to try again then absolutely you can do. Start taking your folic acid if you have not already and good luck for when you are ready.

• By mrs Louis (not verified) on 9 Jan 2017 - 06:10

I had a miscarriage on the 8 of December 2016, and since am still bleeding, and it's 9 January 2017, is it normal because am really scared?...

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Jan 2017 - 09:46

Hi there Mrs Woods. Some women do experience bleeding for a few weeks after an early miscarriage. However, if you have been bleeding heavily for a month now, then i would recommend either going to your GP or your local early pregnancy assessment unit for review. If you have a temperature or feel generally unwell, then this could also suggest that you may have an infection and need to be seen asap to be treated with antibiotics.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 30 Dec 2016 - 22:57

Hi, i had a miscarriage in January 16 since then every month i get pains in my right side after my period why would this be? Miscarriage took 2weeks pain was awful every month im so cranky now and some months very weepy which before miscarriage i wasnt, i would just love to know why i get this pain every month and will it have an effect on conceiving in the future as i am 37? Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jan 2017 - 16:33

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage last January. I would advise that you see your GP to discuss this as you would need to be examined to make any meaningful diagnosis. You would also be welcome to call our midwives on 0800 0147 800 to discuss. Best wishes

• By Midwife @Tommys on 14 Dec 2016 - 11:50

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It sounds like the cramps are very severe if you can't even walk properly.
      Are you taking pain relief and did you need to go into hospital for an operation or have you miscarried without any intervention?
      If you are experiencing increased abdominal pain, heavier bleeding or fever you need to be seen by your GP or A&E department. You are also welcome to call us here at Tommy's on 0800 0147 800. Please let us know how you are doing.
      Tommy's Midwives

• By susan (not verified) on 14 Dec 2016 - 09:17

I had miscarriage, now I've got serious cramps, can't even walk properly, just wanna know if what causes them and how long will they last?

• By Sarah (not verified) on 12 Oct 2016 - 17:52

Hi I'm looking for some advice. I am 40 and have had 2 healthy pregnancies (18 and 21) one was early at 37 wks and the other was elective c section at 38wks due to him being breech. And 2 early miscarriages. One 10 years ago and the latedt one was last nov. I found out i was pregnant when i was 5 wks. 2 days after my missed period andAccording to my dates I am 10 + 1 wks pregnant. Last week I had some slight spotting so went to gp and she sent me to gau for a scan. Scan showed a embryo 5-6wks. And no heart beat was found. And was told to prepare for the worst. I then saw the nurse and she said it looked ectopic because the embryo and yolk sack were in the top left hand corner of my womb. The consultant then said I have a heart shaped womb and it was possible it wasn't ectopic just the shape of my womb making it look that way. So they checked my hpg levels and they were 2500. And to gp back 48hrs to check again. They had dropped to 1717. Again 48 hours later they had dropped to 1221. (I'm guessing they did this to rule out ectopic.) I have had no more bleeding or cramps since then. And I am to go back next Monday for repeat hcg levels. Since yesterday I have been getting a lot of cramps. (Ibuprofen eases them) and some bleeding (red and has a slight odor ) but only when I wipe. I'm guessing the hospital thinks that I have had a missed miscarriage. But no one is telling me definitely. What do I do know? I don't want to wait longer than I have to but I'm scared of infection. Because if embryo hasn't grown and has passed away does this mean I've been carrying it for nearly 6 wks? I'm so worried and just need someone to tell me if this is the correct way.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Oct 2016 - 12:35

Hi Sarah. I am sorry to hear what a tough time you have been through. It is difficult to say exactly, but from the information you have provided about your falling hcg levels and bleeding, it is quite likely that you are unfortunately, experiencing a missed miscarriage.
      If you feel unwell and you are bleeding quite heavily, then i would suggest that you take yourself to a&e to be reviewed. There you will be reviewed by a Gynae doctor and you may be offered a procedure to remove any remaining tissue. You will also have bloods taken to test for infection and given antibiotics if these come back positive. Take care of yourself!

• By Midwife @Tommys on 3 Oct 2016 - 14:33

I can understand your confusion... Sometimes it can be dependent on the type of ultrasound used. The trans-vaginal ultrasound is able to find the baby's heartbeat quite early between 6 to 7 weeks, but the abdominal ultrasound often takes one more week (7 to 8 weeks) to find heartbeat. This may be relevant in your particular case. However, if the trans-vaginal ultrasound shows no heartbeat at 8 weeks then there might sadly be a pregnancy loss. I agree that asking for a repeat scan in 1 week seems sensible and this would then allow you a clearer picture of what was going on. Also if you conceived on 18th August & your periods are regular , you would be 7 weeks + 4 days gestation on 24/25 September according to your dates.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Oct 2016 - 11:41

Hi, i went for a routine scan last week at what i calculate to be 8 weeks (according to first day of LMP) i was told baby had no heartbeat and measured 7 weeks 4 days. I am really confused by this as i know the exact date that i had unprotected sex which was 18th august so baby should not have measured as big as that. I feel that baby should have only just been 6 weeks? They wanted me to see a doctor there and then and discuss medication for the missed miscarriage but i refused and have asked for another scan this week. Im so scared to go back for another scan to be told the same but i also know that i am 100% right on my dates. I did a clear blue pregnancy test on 8th sept which said 2-3 weeks which also takes me back to conception around 18th august. Could the baby have been too small for a heartbeat? But why was it measuring bigger? I have not had any pains or bleeding whatsoever and still have pregnancy symptoms of slight sickness and very sore breasts. So confused and don't know if I'm coming or going :-( Am i right to not give up hope just yet? Many thanks

• By claire (not verified) on 25 Sep 2016 - 08:57

Hi all I have had two miscarriages this year one in February and one in July. I am now pregnant again. This time was different as I have been very sick but bleeding started yesterday stopped again now but have cramping and my symptoms are less dont feel very sick Im worried as Im getting married on Saturday

• By Midwife @Tommys on 26 Sep 2016 - 09:27

The best course of action would be to go to your GP or Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit asap to be seen and be reviewed.
      They would need to arrange a scan for you to confirm if the pregnancy is ongoing or unfortunately failing. Because of the circumstances of your wedding also, i feel that they should be able to do this for you.