My baby is not growing in pregnancy

A growing bump is the sign of a growing baby. Your midwife should start measuring your baby from 24 weeks to make sure they are growing well.

Baby bumps come in all different shapes and sizes. So while it can be difficult, try not to compare your baby bump to anyone else’s. No two women or two pregnancies are the same. Your baby’s health is the main priority and your midwife will measure your baby’s growth as part of your antenatal care to check that everything is OK.

You can tall to your midwife at any time if you are concerned about how your baby is growing.

How is a baby's growth measured in pregnancy?

Your midwife will ask you to lie down and will measure from the top of your bump to the top of your pubic bone using a tape measure. These measurements should be taken at each antenatal visit from around 24 weeks.

The measurement should be within 2cm of the number of weeks you are pregnant. For example, when you're 30 weeks pregnant, your measurement should be somewhere between 28cm and 32cm. This will depend on:

• your height and weight in early pregnancy
  • how many children you’ve had
  • your ethnicity.

How can the midwife or doctor tell if the baby is not growing?

Your baby’s growth is written in your antenatal notes either as a measurement (written down as fundal height’ (FH) or symphysis-fundal height (SFH)) or plotted on a chart through your pregnancy. This chart can show the midwives if there is a steady incline, no growth or decline in the growth.

Many hospitals are now using personalised growth charts and marking your measurements on these. This makes checks on the baby’s growth more accurate.

You can always ask your midwife if you’d like to know how your baby’s growth is being monitored.

When should I talk to a doctor about my bump not getting bigger in pregnancy?

Call your midwife if you are concerned that your bump isn’t getting bigger and ask for an extra antenatal appointment to be measured.

Call your midwife or maternity unit at the hospital immediately if you feel your bump isn’t getting any bigger AND your baby’s movements have slowed down. Your baby moving normally is a sign that they are well. You should be offered a scan and extra monitoring.

If your measurements are outside of the normal range, or if you still feel worried that your bump is too small, your midwife should recommend an ultrasound scan called a growth scan.

This will show the baby’s growth more clearly. If the scan shows the baby is growing normally, this is more accurate than the measurements.

If the scan shows that your baby isn’t getting bigger you will be referred to a consultant. This means you will have all your antenatal appointments at the hospital and you will see a midwife and a consultant. If they are concerned about your baby’s growth you may have more growth scans.

Intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR), also known as fetal growth restriction (FGR)

Intrauterine growth restriction is a condition where the baby’s growth slows or stops during pregnancy. It is often caused by problems with the placenta that restrict oxygen and blood going to your baby. There is no 'treatment' for IUGR. Instead you will have a management plan. If IUGR is suspected, you will have regular scans to look at the baby’s growth. Find out more about intrauterine growth restriction

Being aware of your baby's movements is important

If your midwife or doctor has told you that your baby may not be growing as they should, it is very important to monitor your baby's pattern of movements because they are a sign that your baby is well. If your baby is not getting enough oxygen they may move less to conserve their energy. If you notice a change, report it to your midwife or doctor immediately. Read more about movements here.

Perinantal Institute for Maternal and child health. Fetal Growth https://perinatal.org.uk/FetalGrowth/fetalgrowth.aspx

Sue Macdonald and Gail Johnson (2017) Mayes’ Midwifery, Edinburgh: Baillir̈e Tindall Elsevier

Last reviewed on September 28th, 2018. Next review date September 28th, 2018.

Comments

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Oct 2018 - 14:07

Hi Colra, Without knowing all the information it's not possible to reassure you. I wonder why you had a scan at this gestation. Have there been problems in the past? It is quite common for the heartbeat to not be visible until 7 weeks. Have you got a follow-up appointment?

• By jewel (not verified) on 28 Sep 2018 - 13:51

Hi I am 16th weeks now. just asking if it is okay to take an ultrasounds again because i am worried that my tummy looks not growing. my last ultrasound is Aug.4.2018.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 28 Sep 2018 - 16:36

Hi - all women grow differently during pregnancy and this varies depending on you pre-pregnant size, health, lifestyle, diet, genetics and what number baby you are having.
    If you are based in the UK, you will be due another Ultrasound scan at around 20 weeks which will pick up any concerns about growth.

• By Hasee (not verified) on 24 Sep 2018 - 16:25

Hii..im hasee...im 28 weeks pregnant and ny tummy is not growing...im feeling my baby movements...is there any problem in baby growth...

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 Sep 2018 - 16:53

Hi Hasee
    If you are worried that your tummy is not growing then it is important you see your midwife (or similar care giver) to check the baby's growth-you may be advised to have a scan to check that the baby is growing normally. If the baby moving less than normal or you have any worrying symptoms then you should seek urgent advice
    The following link has more information for you-

Take care

• By Anabela (not verified) on 18 Sep 2018 - 23:39

I am pregnant and my first scan the doctor said that I am 5weeks but he said as well that my baby has stopped to grow and that I am bleeding from inside as well and seems Sunday I am still bleeding outside as well my question is if the baby has stop to grow does that mean that he won’t grow anymore?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Sep 2018 - 14:44

Hi Anabela, Thank you for your comment.
    From what you have described and if you are actively bleeding then it does suggest that you may be having a miscarriage. If your baby has stopped growing and you are bleeding then this can be a sign that a miscarriage may happen. If you are still unsure of what is happening then we would recommend that you speak to your Doctor again, as they will be able to look at our notes and your scan records and will give you a more accurate answer then what we can at Tommy's. We hope that you are ok at this time, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Erie (not verified) on 18 Sep 2018 - 15:45

Hi there im 16 weeks and 4 days but i feel like i dont have that big baby bump and i don’t feel the baby moving.i haven’t been check since my 8 weeks no appoinment still by this time..but im always feeling hungry and always peeing than the usual..

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Sep 2018 - 14:29

Hi Erie, Thank you for your comment.
    It is common for women to start to feel baby movement between 16 and 24 weeks, this can happen at any time and everyone feels movements at different stages. This goes the same for your bump, if this is your first baby then your abdominal muscles will be firmer then those of a woman who has had pregnancies before, so you tend to show a little later in a first pregnancy. If you are still concerned then please contact your community midwife who will be able to give you further reassurance. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Titilayo (not verified) on 13 Sep 2018 - 00:05

I'm pregnant the first scan I did was 6weeks +5days, a week later the sca gave the same result. Then after a Month I did scan same result but now I'm bleeding . don't knw what to do

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Sep 2018 - 11:54

Hi Titilayo,
    It sounds like you have been having a very anxious time over the past few weeks, if you are having bleeding now, then we would recommend that you call the early pregnancy unit so that they can check you over and scan you again. Please call them as soon as you can to be seen. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Laura (not verified) on 11 Sep 2018 - 23:18

Just went for an ultrasound and I’m supposed to be 28weeks but de just told me baby is measuring 2 weeks behind. Didn’t seem too worried but sending me for another scan. Hubby and I are both smaller people and drs PA didn’t seem worried at my last appt in which they said only the femur was small and to remeasure. Should I be worried??

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Sep 2018 - 16:36

Hi Laura
    Please be reassured that your doctor wants to monitor your baby's growth by doing another scan. If there are any concerns then they should discuss this with you and any future plans for your pregnancy care.
    Please contact your maternity unit if baby's movements are less than normal, or you have any other concerns.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Sep 2018 - 16:36

Hi Laura

• By Precious Emmanuel (not verified) on 9 Sep 2018 - 00:06

Hi Doctor, please my best friends mum has been pregnant since 2016 till date, been a mother of 6 grown children, she attempted several abortion pills which stopped the baby from growing, but theres evidence that the baby is alive, please what can she do to save the baby and herself, she doesn't have enough money to go to the hospital... And is she in any danger? She doesn't feel much pains... Please help us

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Sep 2018 - 11:38

Hi Precious
    Your friend's mum can access free maternity care at any stage of pregnancy via the NHS if she is in the UK. We can only give general advice if you are not in the UK as we are not familiar with other health systems.
    If she thinks this baby is alive it is very important that mum sees a health professional who can provide maternity care for both hers and the baby's health. If money is an issue there may be a charity she can contact for help.
    She should go to hospital urgently if she has severe pains, bleeding, feels unwell in any way or has other concerns about herself and the baby's health.
    I have attached some links with more information for you-
    Please contact us on Tommy's Pregnancy Line 0800 0147 800 or email midwife @tommys.org for more advice

Take care

• By Radha (not verified) on 8 Sep 2018 - 06:10

Present I'm 16 th week, Sometimes I feel like IAm not having any baby in my stomach. Sometimes I was getting pain, why this is happens, my baby growing or not, I'm not have big bump also

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Sep 2018 - 09:47

Hi Radha
    16 weeks is still quite early in the pregnancy-your bump may not start to show until you are nearer 20 weeks. If you have any pain or bleeding you must contact your maternity unit for advice. I hope by now you have booked into your local unit and have started your antenatal care-if so you should have been given an appointment for a 20 week scan. I have attached 2 links with more information about the 2nd trimester for you-

• By Inka (not verified) on 30 Aug 2018 - 17:33

I have been taking Pregnacare plus but stopped taking the omega-3 tablets since about the start of my second trimester... the baby was fine on Week 20 scan and not getting anymore scans.

I was just wondering, is that bad for my baby and if I did just start back taking them will it be beneficial?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 31 Aug 2018 - 14:12

Hi Inka,
    There is no evidence to show that taking DHA and omega 3 tablets in pregnancy is beneficial or has an impact on the baby's development so no need to take them. You may want to include some fish in your diet a a natural source however. It is important to continue to take vitamin D.

• By Rhashae (not verified) on 21 Aug 2018 - 02:24

I’m 34 weeks my baby is 4lbs 15oz, I was informed that my baby stomach/waist is growing small but everything else is growing fine. I was also told that I would be getting ultrasound scans weekly for now on should I be worried?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Aug 2018 - 11:11

Hi Rhashae
    It is great that your midwife/doctor has ordered weekly scans for you if your baby is measuring on the smaller side. This means your care is of a good standard and means they can more accurately track baby's growth.
    Good luck with everything and feel free to email/call us if you need any further assistance.

• By Una Lia (not verified) on 14 Aug 2018 - 04:26

Hi, Doctor says everything is normal. I'm 28 weeks now but my tummy is too small as everyone says.. This is my second child... and also baby forever moving so i'm always experiencing shortness of breath ...is this normal?? i never had it this way with my first.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Aug 2018 - 10:14

Hi Una Lia,
    As long as your doctor and midwife are happy with the the measurements of your bump/baby then please take reassurance in this. Bumps can come in all different shapes and sizes so the measurements are important, if you are 28 weeks then you should have an antenatal appointment around this time. If you are experiencing on going shortness of breath then do speak with your midwife, this can be very normal in pregnancy however it can be sign of anaemia or something more serious that just needs to be ruled out.

• By Amanda (not verified) on 31 Jul 2018 - 05:18

I’m 28 weeks pregnant and my baby Chloe is only 2lbs. The doctors are doing ultrasound weekly. But is it something I can do. Help

• By Midwife @Tommys on 31 Jul 2018 - 16:16

Hi Amanda
    If you are having weekly scans, then you are having a good standard of care at your hospital, which is great. There is nothing that you can do to increase babies size yourself i am afraid to say.
    Are you having doppler (blood flow)scans too?
    Please feel free to call or email us Amanada if you have any further questions. 08000147800/[email protected]
    Sophie,Tommy's Midwives

• By Tigger (not verified) on 19 Jul 2018 - 00:15

I’m currently 32 weeks into my pregnancy they keep saying my baby isn’t growing well but at work and elsewhere people say my belly is big to be sad he isn’t growing well and what can I do to see his face every visit his face is against my placenta? Thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 19 Jul 2018 - 14:56

Hi Tigger, Thank you for your comment.
    It may be from others that your bump is growing however, your Drs will go by the measurements on the scan which is more accurate then looking at the size of your bump alone. Measuring baby by scan will be much more accurate and this way they can keep an eye on the growth of your baby, especially as they have some concern that baby is a little on the small side. With regards to seeing his face, this is all up to him really, there is nothing we can advice you to do to change this unless he wants to move by himself, he may just be in a comfortable position but as you should be scanned more regularly because of his growth, hopefully at one of these scans he will have moved. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Saraswathi (not verified) on 14 Jun 2018 - 09:24

Now 10th months is happening
    But baby stomach area is not growing well
    What can do

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Jun 2018 - 16:54

Hi Saraswathi,
    If there are concerns about your baby's growth then you should be having regular growth scans to monitor this, if not then do speak with your midwife. If you are over due then your team should be discussing the option of induction with you also.

• By Blumorxan (not verified) on 13 Jun 2018 - 00:38

23 weeks pregnant, evverything was fine bump was growing could feel baby moving but now today I was told she is in the 8th percentile. Does she have IUGR?? Is there anything I can do to get her to grow back on track?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Jun 2018 - 13:18

Hi Blumorxan
    This sounds like a question for an obstetric doctor. They can look at your scan and measurements (taking into account your medical and obstetric history) and help to give you more information about why your baby is possibly on the smaller side. Please attend your hospital triage/day assessment unit for review unless you have an appointment for sometime this week with an obstetrician in your antenatal clinic

• By Rahma (not verified) on 4 Jun 2018 - 05:41

My belly's growing but i can't feel movement of my baby in my tummy and am 18 weeks pregnant

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jun 2018 - 14:09

Hi Rahma,

Thank you for contacting us.
    Some women feel their baby move later than others. However i would suggest speaking to your local maternity unit for reassurance and assessment.

• By Sabas (not verified) on 26 May 2018 - 08:37

I'm 10 week pregnant but after scanning i get to know MY BABY STOP GROWING. Scan showed its 5 week baby.. please suggest me what can i do.

Doctor said Me to go DNC

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 May 2018 - 10:40

Hi Sabas
    I am very sorry to hear that your baby has stopped growing at 10 weeks. I am afraid that there isn't anything that you can do, and you have not done anything wrong which has caused it. Your doctor may suggest that you either have the D&C surgery or may offer to give you a tablet so that you pass the pregnancy vaginally. The choice is yours to make and the Dr can explain both of these options in detail to you and your partner so that you can make the best choice for you both. If you need to talk, please call us on the pregnancyline.
    Thinking of you

• By Noor ul huda (not verified) on 1 Sep 2018 - 08:02

My baby is not growing after 7 weeks dr said to me go for dnc and i had little bleeding ..but it was just spotting.

• By colly (not verified) on 21 May 2018 - 16:39

my baby is playing every day wat im i suppose to do i even go to the doctor but stel no luck

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 May 2018 - 09:33

Hi Colly, Thank you for your comment.
    It is difficult to understand what you are trying to explain. If you have had a scan sand there is no baby seen then you are not pregnant, but you are feeling something? It would be advisable that you need to go and see your doctor again and explain how you are feeling, it may not be a pregnancy but they will need to investigate into what your are experiencing. Hope this helps, take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Rosemary (not verified) on 30 Apr 2018 - 06:52

No movements, belly not growing is there any problem its my firstborn .never experienced how a child kicks inside womb and am becoming impatient.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 1 May 2018 - 09:44

Hi Rosemary,
    Thanks for posting. It is normal with your first pregnancy to feel movement any time between 16-24 weeks. With first time Mums it might be later in this time frame compared to women who have had babies before and feel movements closer to 16 weeks in subsequent pregnancies.
    Have you had a scan yet? Are you due to have a second scan in the next few weeks.
    If you lie down do you notice that your belly is a little bigger? Dependent on your build some women don't have any obvious bump until later in pregnancy.
    If you are fit and well and have not had any pain or bleeding it is likely that your baby is growing well and you will soon be feeling some irregular flutters. The link below will help you to know what is normal movement after 24 weeks.
    I hope this helps. Please stay in touch
    Anna-Tommy's Midwife

• By jossy (not verified) on 26 Apr 2018 - 21:49

pls what can I do.Am 10weeks pregnant and I went for scanning today. The doctor said one of the babies is not growing but the other is okay.pls what is the solutions to this.thanks

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Apr 2018 - 09:28

Hi - Thank you for your message. I'm so sorry to hear that you have been given difficult news. In order to advise I would need to bit more information, so please get in touch with us via email [email protected] or on our Pregnancyline 08000147800.

• By Grace Alheri Solomon (not verified) on 8 Mar 2018 - 16:59

l am 4 months pregnant,no symptom,bump it not growing,babies is kicking well,but am bleeding.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 9 Mar 2018 - 11:27

Hi Grace, If you are bleeding we would suggest that you are seen as soon as possible by a doctor or health professional. Best wishes

• By Mina Kollie (not verified) on 6 Mar 2018 - 13:36

6 months pregnant and my stomach looks like I'm two months pregnant. There's no weight gain and my baby moves a lot. I'm why is my stomach not growing? People hardly believe me when I tell them that I'm 6 months pregnant because my tummy appears normal.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Mar 2018 - 09:49

Hi Mina
    Every baby bump is different. Try not to worry about having a petite bump- your midwife should be measuring your bump each time you go for a check up. If these measurements were not following the expected growth pattern, then you would be sent for additional growth scans.
    Please do speak to your midwife about the measurements when you next are seen or before if you are still concerned.

• By hi I am Jenifer (not verified) on 3 Mar 2018 - 05:53

I am 4 month pregnant d baby 5 month by 12 but my belly is still not growing as my first $ second born but I fell d heart beat but not moving shld I worry myself ?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Mar 2018 - 13:14

Hi Jenifer,
    I am a little unclear from your message how many weeks or months pregnant you are however up until 24 weeks, baby's movements can vary however beyond this time then we would advise that most babies settle into a pattern and to monitor them throughout the pregnancy. Every pregnancy is different when it comes to how big your bump is, your midwife should be measuring your bump at each antenatal appointment from about 24 weeks, and if your midwife has any concerns then they will refer you for a scan. I hope this helps but do speak with your midwife if you have further concerns. Best wishes, Tommy's midwives.

• By Peace (not verified) on 12 Feb 2018 - 14:13