Waters breaking early (PPROM)

If your waters break early, seek medical advice straight away as you could be at risk of premature labour.

PPROM infographic

Your unborn baby lies in an amniotic sac of fluid or ‘waters’. ‘Waters breaking’ means that the sac has ruptured or broken. Your waters normally break around the time labour is due but in around 2% of pregnancies they break early for various reasons (see below).

If your waters break before your baby has reached full term (37 weeks), the medical name for it is preterm prelabour rupture of the membranes, or PPROM. If this happens early, before the contractions start, it can (but does not always) trigger early labour.

This page deals with waters breaking early before 37 weeks. Read here about what to expect when your waters break AFTER 37 weeks.

Have my waters broken early (PPROM)?

If your waters have broken early, you will experience it as a trickle or a gush of water from your vagina. It is likely to continue leaking once it has started If it isn't too heavy you can use a sanitary towel to catch it. This will also allow you to see what colour it is, which will be helpful information for health professionals. It may be pinkish if it contains some blood, or it may be clear. If it greenish or brown go to the maternity unit as soon as possible. If it is heavy, you may need to use a towel.

Phone your maternity unit immediately for advice.

What are the risks if my waters break early (PPROM)?

If your waters break early the risks and treatment are dependent on the stage of pregnancy you are at.

• You are at risk of going into labour prematurely – the health risks for the baby of early birth are greater the younger they are.
  • If you do not go into labour, you and the baby are at risk of infection.

The doctors have to balance these two considerations. If the waters have broken because of infection, you and the baby have a high risk of getting the infection and you may need to deliver sooner to prevent this.

If the waters have broken but there is no infection currently present, you and the baby are still at risk but the immediate risk is lesser and your treatment will depend on your stage of pregnancy.

If you are under 24 weeks of pregnancy and the baby is born, sadly, it is unlikely the baby will survive.

If you are over 30 weeks and the baby is born, the likelihood of your baby surviving is much higher - over 95%

What will happen if my waters break early (PPROM)?

You are likely to have an internal examination. This will allow the doctor to look at your cervix and check:

• if the leaking fluid is amniotic fluid
  • if it is changing in preparation for labour
  • to check for infection by taking a swab.

You might have an ultrasound scan to estimate the amount of fluid left around your baby.

If only a very small amount of amniotic fluid leaks, it is not always easy to be sure whether your waters have broken.

• You may be advised to wear a pad and stay in hospital for a few hours to monitor the situation.
  • If you go home but continue to leak fluid at home, you should return to the hospital again.

If your waters are shown to have broken, you will be advised to come into hospital for at least 48 hours. You and your unborn baby will be closely monitored for signs of infection. This will include having your temperature and pulse taken regularly, and your baby’s heart rate will also be monitored.

Going home from hospital with PPROM

If there is no infection present you may be able to go home. You will be at risk from infection however, and you will need to self-monitor by

• checking that your temperature is normal (37 °C or less) every 4–8 hours
  • checking the colour of the fluid does not change by wearing a pad.

You should avoid having sexual intercourse.

Contact your doctor or midwife and return to the hospital immediately if you have:

• a raised temperature (more than 37 °C)
  • flu-like symptoms (feeling hot and shivery)
  • vaginal bleeding
  • if the leaking fluid becomes greenish or smelly
  • contractions
  • abdominal pain
  • if you are worried that the baby is not moving as normal.

Inducing labour or premature labour with PPROM

If you are past 34 weeks the doctor will weigh up the benefits of inducing labour before the due date to avoid the risk of infection with the disadvantages of being born premature, and may make a recommendation for early delivery.

You may need to stay in a hospital that has a neonatal unit and be monitored carefully for any sign of infection. You may also be treated with antibiotics, corticosteroids and magnesium sulphate (if you are less than 30 weeks) to help prepare your baby in case the are born prematurely.

Over 80% of women who have PPROM deliver their baby within seven days of their waters breaking.

What if there are no waters left in my womb?

Your baby’s amniotic sac has to have the right amount of amniotic fluid for the pregnancy to continue normally. If there is a break in the waters your baby will continue to produce amniotic fluid.

Before 23 weeks, the baby needs ‘waters’ to be present for their lungs to develop normally. Loss of water before this can lead to severe problems with lung development that can be critical after birth. After 23 weeks your baby does not need the amniotic fluid so much, so low levels of fluid may not be a problem in itself, but if the low levels are due to your waters breaking then there is a risk of infection.

Read more about intrauterine infection and chorioamnionitis

Causes of waters breaking early (PPROM)

Intrauterine infection is present in around a third of women with PPROM. In many cases however it happens without any infection being present. The reason for these cases is unclear, however it has been linked to heavy smoking (more than 10 cigarettes a day) in pregnancy

Discharge in pregnancy

Having more vaginal discharge during pregnancy is common, but speak to your midwife or doctor if you are unsure about any increase or change in your vaginal discharge.

1. RCOG (2012) Information for you When your waters break early, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
  2. J David, Steer P et al (2010) High risk pregnancy, management options, Elsevier Saunders
  3. RCOG (2006) Preterm Prelabour Rupture of Membranes, Greentop guideline 44, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
  4. England MC, Benjamin A, Abenhaim HA (2013) Increased Risk of Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes at Early Gestational Ages among Maternal Cigarette Smokers. Am J Perinatol. 2013 Jan 17

Last reviewed on October 5th, 2016. Next review date October 5th, 2019.

Comments

• By Ada (not verified) on 18 Sep 2018 - 22:04

My water broke @ 17 weeks .. just like that , was hospitalized and all the tests carried came out negative from infections..pls what could be the cause?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Sep 2018 - 10:03

Sorry Ada, Sometimes it isn't possible to know the cause. If all the tests have been negative, you may never know the reasons. Please keep well and we hope you gain some support from the many comments here. Best wishes

• By Agi (not verified) on 12 Aug 2018 - 20:35

Hi, just wanted to share the story of my previous pregnancy. My water broke unexpectedly at week 19. The ultrasound showed almost no water left. We saw our baby girl on the images and she was perfect. She held on for 5 days when finally she was born. Even though I was filled with fear of trauma for the future, I decided to give birth to her instead of her being crushed by vacuum. Our pain was indescribable. We were not prepared for something like this. All we knew is that the first trimester is risky but after that nobody really expects anything to go bad. What felt infuriating and left us entirely helpless is that the doctors couldn’t tell what happened, they basically said “bad luck”. In that state one seeks answers but there were no answers, no consolation. What gave us strength in those weeks and months was that we trusted the Universe to know why this happened and we prayed to our baby girl to send us another soul from the stars. I got pregnant exactly on the first anniversary of losing her and now I have a son named Orion. I was scared through the first phase of the pregnancy and started breathing more freely only around week 26. It is extremely difficult to let go of the fears but I am one of many many women who had perfectly healthy subsequent pregnancies after losses like this. So all you grieving mothers out there, be strong and have faith. You will have your rainbow baby soon!

• By Alexa (not verified) on 26 Aug 2018 - 23:47

I was 16wks when my water broke, I was admitted for 2days but my baby gave up after 24hrs and that's how I lost my precious gift from God, it's very painful ,it's exactly one month, I want to try again after 3months, thanks for sharing

• By Shanel (not verified) on 5 Aug 2018 - 01:31

My water broke at 23 weeks. I was in the hospital gettung steroids to help develop my little mans lungs faster. I developed an infection at 25 weeks, the Dr advise me that the chances of was baby surving was very low and they needed to do a C-section asap. Unfortunately my little man didnt make it. The pain of lossing him never goes away. I am so scared to try again.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Aug 2018 - 10:40

Hi Shanel, We are so sorry to hear this and hope that you gain some support from reading our stories. If you need to talk we are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm on 0800 0147 800. Take good care of yourself. Best wishes Tommy's midwives x

• By Charlotte (not verified) on 11 Oct 2018 - 12:59

You will be fine trying again I lost my baby at 42 weeks I had a stillborn .. you should never give up hope I lost her last year the pain will never go away and u will never forget them either I am no 33 weeks pregnant and the pain is with me everyday and the worry but we are strong enough to do it again .. never give up hope i didn't and she will always be with me

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Oct 2018 - 14:25

Hi Charlotte, Thank you for sharing your story.
    We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious baby, you give out such a positive message to other women to not give up hope and that is really important. We hope that everything is going well in your pregnancy and if we can offer you any support then please contact the Tommy's Midwives on [email protected] or call Monday to Friday 9am-5pm 0800 0147 800. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Felly (not verified) on 13 Jul 2018 - 10:06

I had episodes of bleeding from the start of my pregnancy.. I wore a panty liner/ pad everyday..At 18 weeks I was told I had close to no amniotic fluid. At 20 weeks my amniotic fluid was totally gone and was advised to terminate. I refused and held on to my baby. At 24 weeks I had preterm labour and selfdelivered my baby girl with no complications. Baby Sphe survived 4days in NICU & we lost her. I still live with the pain, proud that I fought for my baby but wonder what really went wrong with this pregnancy.. #BlessAllWomen

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Jul 2018 - 12:42

Dear Felly,
    So sorry for your loss. I hope that you find some comfort reading our website but understand that you may never know the reasons for the loss of your beautiful baby girl. You may find our campaign #togetherforchange helpful. Best wishes x

• By Marcia H (not verified) on 20 Jul 2018 - 14:24

Just wanna share about my pregnancy i'm 5months pregnant i lost few water just came out of no-where. I got to hospital admitted just a day, which after i was discharged and sent home. We do abit scanning to see how the baby is doing and i'm not 100% sure they only mention yep few water left but baby still in good condition. Can this be right or do i need to see another doctor???

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Jul 2018 - 14:33

Hi Marcia,
    If you would like to call us to discuss this . Our number is 0800 0147 800. I need some more details before I can give any advice. Take care Tommy's midwives x

• By Sibbyrose smith (not verified) on 5 Jul 2018 - 08:43

Back last year my waters broke at 24weeks and I was so scared. I was in Bristol South mead hospital for a whole 4 weeks to be monitored on and made sure me in the baby was fine at 28 weeks I got discharged and I went to my local hospital for twice a week until I catch a infection at 33 weeks and 4 days. I had a Cesarean section which went ok and my baby was born at 33 weeks and 5 days then after 24 hours they took me off the antibiotics and I became very ill with severe sepsis and pneumonia I was in Musgrove Park Hospital for three weeks and five days due to the sepsis I had. My baby was fine she was a little fighter. I am now pregnant again at 9 weeks and I'm terrified if my waters are going to break early again or if I'm going to have sepsis again.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2018 - 15:25

Hi Sibbyrose, Thank you for your comment.

We are so sorry to hear about what you have been through in your last pregnancy, it is understandable that you are worried in a future pregnancy.
    As your waters had broken for such a long time this may have been the source of the infection but you also had a caesarean section and ths comes with its infection risks as well. What the Drs and Midwives do know this time is your past experience and they can be prepared for any eventuality.
    When you book with the midwife, tell her exactly what happened and she may refer you to the hospital for consultant led care, you may be seen in a specialist premature clinic as well. You should expect closer monitoring in this pregnancy as the Consultant will want to keep the risk of sepsis to the lowest it can be. If you are worried about your plan of care or what to expect then speak to your GP or midwife and they should be able to refer you up to the hospital to see a consultant so that you can get further reassurance and an idea of what care you will expect going forward. Please feel reassured that what you are feeling is very normal under the circumstances of what you have experienced but asking for support and advice throughout will give you the reassurance that you need, so please don't be afraid to ask. Hope this helps, Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Kaye (not verified) on 1 Jul 2018 - 18:58

My waters broke at 18 weeks I went to hospital they assured me they hadn’t broken and that it was just pregnancy discharge. About 10 days later I was on the toilet pushing to wee and I felt something coming out.. I looked down below and it was a foot. I was rushed to hospital where I gave birth to my baby girl but she didn’t survive. I’ve had no answers as to why this happened but I will be trying again very soon just very scared this could happen again? How could this he prevented and has anyone had PROM and given birth to a healthy baby afterwards?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 2 Jul 2018 - 15:22

Hi Kaye, This can be very traumatic and we can understand your anxiety particularly relating to another pregnancy. There are many different reasons for PPROM but, yes sometimes the baby does survive and do very well. It is important that when you become pregnant you go to see a consultant obstetrician who will make a plan to reduce the risks of this happening again. If you need extra support we are here on 0800 0147 800.
    Take care

• By Andi (not verified) on 30 Jun 2018 - 13:41

I lost my first baby boy at 22 weeks when my water broke unexpectedly with no signs. I am now 20 weeks pregnant with a girl and scared. My loss was possibly due to an infection but we cannot he sure. I have been encouraged to take progesterone injections at this point but the data seems varied from weeks 20-25, with positive results only after 25 weeks. Anyone else been in this situation? I feel scared to take it or not take it.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 2 Jul 2018 - 10:28

With so much on-going research it can be very difficult to know what treatment is best for you. You can only really take advice from those that understand your personal situation and your history. Tommy's have been involved in trials looking at the role of progesterone in reducing the risk of pre-term labour (https://www.tommys.org/our-organisation/our-research/research-cause/premature-birth-research/support-finding-best-way-prevent-preterm-birth-women-short-cervixes https://www.tommys.org/our-organisation/research-by-cause/premature-birth/progesterone) but these trials may not be relevant to your personal situation. Try to arrange to discuss with your obstetrician again if you are wary of taking the medication. Best wishes, Tommy's midwives

• By Jenny (not verified) on 29 Jun 2018 - 01:30

I recently miscarried my 20 week old baby boy due to early rapture of my water bag. It was heartbreaking. I was due for my monthly check up in a week and I didn't know that I had an infection which caused me to have very high WBC (16,000) compared to normal of 4,500-10,000 WBC. I was in labor for 56 hours, only to give birth to my dead baby. I pray to God that no mother should experience what I've been thru.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jun 2018 - 11:54

Hi Jenny,
    I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your little boy and what you have been through.
    If we can support you then please do be in touch via email on [email protected] or call 0800 0147 800, we are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm.
    Take care,

• By V (not verified) on 28 Jun 2018 - 02:48

I have a question in regards to PROMM. Water ruptured and lost part of the plug on Monday at 3 am. Dr. says it can take from 1 to 7 days to go into labor. What are the chances the pregnancy can go into 24 weeks since bedrest at hospital was mandatory. However, no antibiotics have been given. Baby still has fluid and regural heartbeat. Thanks.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 Jun 2018 - 10:08

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing such a difficult time in this pregnancy. I am afraid it is not possible to able to know what is going to happen, there is a chance that the pregnancy will continue beyond 24 weeks however this is uncertain and it is important to try the take the next few weeks each day as it comes. It is great that there is still some fluid around the baby and your a being monitored closely.
    It would be routine to have a course of antibiotics if your waters break early and they should be taking bloods from you to check for markers of infection. Do have a talk with your doctor about this.
    If we can support you further then please do email us [email protected]

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 19 Jun 2018 - 17:03

I had an amniocentesis at 15wks 2days, 5 hours later most of the fluid leaked. The hospital staff have been largely pessimistic and have spoken to us about termination on more than one occasion. The amniocentesis was clear and all scans have shown a healthy, active baby; however, I am still leaking fluid and will be seen again on Friday when I will be 19wks 6days. If the fluid is still low I know they will once again speak about termination. We have decided that if the baby's lungs can't mature and that he or she will be very poorly we will terminate. I am petrified and wonder what you think our chances are of the baby being ok and whether I can continue to leak but still have enough fluid around baby?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 22 Jun 2018 - 13:12

I believe you have been in contact via email since posting this but if we can support you then please do be in touch.

• By Elise (not verified) on 17 Jun 2018 - 22:55

Hi. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and for the past couple of months ive been experiencing what i thought was leaking urine. But it happens atleast 3 or more times a day. Even when i dont need to go to the toilet. Sometimes i feel it as soon as i stand up or cough too hard. There is no urination sensation. If it is urine should it feel like im actually weeing? Because this just feels like ive got my period. There is no controling it, it just happens. I just urinated about an hour or more ago and about 10-20 minutes after i laid back down in bed i felt a tiny gush like feeling and i checked to see if my underwear were wet and they were. The fuild is clear and does not smell like urine. It is a small amount and it doesnt seem to be continuously flowing but this is happening everyday atleast 3 or more times a day. Is that considered continuous?. There is no blood or pink tinge. My baby is still moving and im not in pain but for the past week ive been getting period like cramping every now and then. Please help

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Jun 2018 - 14:28

Hi Elise,
    I think it may be sensible to ask your midwife to examine you or go to the day assessment unit at your hospital. I can't rule out ruptured membranes but it is quite normal for there to be increased vaginal discharge in pregnancy and this is usually clear or milky fluid with similar symptoms to yourself. I would also suggest that you commence pelvic floor exercises as many women have a bit of leakage from their bladder due to hormones weakening the pelvic floor muscles. We have advice about this here: https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/im-pregnant/exercise-pregnancy/pelvic-floor-exercises
    I hope this helps. Take care

• By Pam Smith (not verified) on 15 Jun 2018 - 00:58

Hi my name is Pam 3 days ago my water broke and i went to the hospital. They talked to me about all the risks of staying pregnant but i couldn't give up. My baby has a strong heart beat and moves all the time. They kept me at the hospital and sent me home with oral antibiotocs. I pray to God that i don't go into labor and my baby makes it. Any advice you can give me will help. I am scared but hopeful everything with be okay.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 18 Jun 2018 - 14:19

Hi Pam, Sorry to hear about this. I am sure you are very worried. I certainly know that babies can survive this if you don't go into labour. I am sure that you have been advised to take your temperature regularly. This helps you to know if you are developing an infection. Other symptoms may be an unusual or 'smelly' vaginal discharge. You will continue to leak fluid as the baby's kidneys will continue to function to produce the amniotic fluid, therefore you'll need to wear a pad continuously. Other than this please take good care of yourself and avoid sexual intercourse. We wish you well. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you feel you need to. Best wishes

• By Cassie (not verified) on 28 Jul 2018 - 12:15

Any updates on you or your baby? I’m currently in the same situation.

• By Kathleen (not verified) on 13 Jun 2018 - 13:24

Hi im 18 weeks pregnant I have 4 kids first one early at 35 weeks waters broke at 34 weeks and 2 full term then I had twins at 29 weeks but I’m really scared in case my waters has broken 4 days ago I was cleaning the kitchen then started to feel very wet were my legs wAs wet to so I went to the bathroom to see and all I could see was like watery discharge but then I started to get really bad lower cramping like Pressure pains lower sound and the same is happening to me to day don’t no wt to do help pls xx

• By Midwife @Tommys on 13 Jun 2018 - 14:33

Hi Kathleen, you really need to go to the hospital urgently today if you think that your waters have broken so that they can confirm if this is the case. Please take yourself in NOW with your pregnancy notes. You will need to be seen on the labour ward triage by a midwife and obstetric doctor.
    Sophie Tommy's Midwife

• By Laura (not verified) on 10 Jun 2018 - 05:17

I am in hospital as my waters on my lower twin broke yesterday at 34 weeks 3 days. What are my chances of keeping my babies in there for a few days so we hit 35 weeks? I have no other signs of labour and have been given my first steroid injection and antibiotics. My last scan was 21st May and both babies weighted 4 lbs then - a few weeks on, are they likely to be ok weights now?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Jun 2018 - 15:06

Hi Laura, In the UK, most babies born at this stage will do very well. The average gestation for twins is 35 weeks. You will have another dose of the steroid injection after 24 hours and there is no reason not to be optimistic. If you are in hospital now, have a chat to your midwife about your concerns and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. We wish you all the best. Take care Tommy's midwives x

• By Erin (not verified) on 2 Jun 2018 - 16:19

Hi, I ruptured at 16 weeks, got the antibiotics and admitted at 23. Currently hospital bedrest at 28 weeks. I have had unmeasurable pockets of fluid and leak continuously. What are my chances of having a survivor?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Jun 2018 - 15:16

Hi Erin, You have been through such a lot in this pregnancy. At 28 weeks your chances are now good. I am sure you are being well looked after and bed rest seems very sensible. Hang in there, the further you get the better it is for the baby. Take good care of yourself.

• By Sara (not verified) on 27 May 2018 - 19:42

After a week of increased discharge and abdominal cramps/contraction, i contacted my OB. I also had very light spotting, few drops of blood and very tiny clots the night before. My ob did a speculum exam and quick US and reassured me that everything looked good, baby is fine. That same night, my water ruptured after i was woken up from sleep with a sharp lower mid abdominal pain. I miscarried the next day and had D&C. They ruled out chromosomal issues with the baby, incompetent cervix, UTI, bacterial vaginosis or any infection, no abnormalities noted on the placenta pathology other than the acute chorioamnionitis. I don't have any medical issue or known risk factors, so i really don't know what caused my amniotic sac to become so weak.
    I am terrified of the possibility of this happening again. I want to know if i need a consultation with a MFM specialist before I get pregnant again or once am pregnant. Is there any additional tests, vitamins you recommend.
    Is the progesterone shot indicated for cases of unexplained PPROM in second trimester?
    thank you.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 29 May 2018 - 14:49

Hi Sara
    It would be best for you to make a follow up appointment with your OBGYN to discuss the above questions there, as they will have full access to your medical and obstetric history. In the U.K, we recommend women are seen by their obstetric doctors after a late pregnancy loss to go through their personal risk factors and make a plan of care for how best to safeguard a future pregnancy - this should be transferable over to you in the U.S in principle. I really do hope that you get a happy ending soon. In the meantime, please take good care of yourself!

• By maggie (not verified) on 23 May 2018 - 20:01

I was pregnant with twin boys and my waters broke I went in to Labour at 26 weeks nothing was stopping my boys from coming.they weighed 1 pound 8. Each and with alot of ups and downs and 12 weeks in nicu they are now happy little boys.the nurse's and doctors that work in nicu don't get enough credit they do an amazing job.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 May 2018 - 16:07

Hi Maggie,

That must have been a very scary and difficult time for you. So glad to hear that your boys are doing well, what little fighters! Lovely to hear that you and the boys got such good care in hospital.

• By Hayley (not verified) on 30 Apr 2018 - 07:55

Hi, I’m really concerned and wondered if there is any connection with what’s happening now and my last pregnancy when I had pprom? I’m 34 My story... 2008 1st pregnancy - miscarriage at 6/7 weeks no d and c needed. 2009 2nd pregnancy- full term healthy child delivery Caesarian section due to being breech. 2011 3rd pregnancy full term healthy child vbac, hemoraged but did not need transfusion. 2016 4th pregnancy pprom at 28 weeks ( no reason no infections ) I managed to hold on till 33 weeks on bed rest and delivered (thank god) 4.9 lb healthy baby. 2018 January, 5/6weeks miscarriage no reason . And just suffered another miscarriage after seeing heartbeat on Thursday but was having spotting and no heartbeat in scan on Saturday. Sorry for the long message but me and my husband are so scared of trying again, are there any connections between previous pprom after normal pregnancies and then having 2 miscarriage after.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 1 May 2018 - 14:02

Dear Hayley,
    I am so very sorry to hear about your miscarriage this weekend and the miscarriage in January.
    There isn't any link between PPROM and miscarriage in the first trimester that I am aware of but understandably it leaves you and your husband terrified about trying again. If you'd like to talk this through please email [email protected] or call weekdays 9-5 pm to speak to a midwife on 0800 0147 800.
    Thinking of you and your family at this sad time
    Anna-Tommy's Midwife

• By Mercy (not verified) on 22 Apr 2018 - 17:24

My water break at 24 weeks...pls can anything happened to baby?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Apr 2018 - 15:35

Hi Mercy, We hope you have found this page helpful and that you have been able to talk to your doctors. It is difficult to give any certainties about your baby but hope that you are being well cared for. Best wishes Tommy's midwives

• By Kim (not verified) on 11 Mar 2018 - 21:33

I had a perfect pregnancy up to 24 weeks, no sickness, a little tiredness but put it down to working hard in my job and growing a baby. I was eating healthy, exercise, taking vitamins, and plenty of rest.
    At 24 weeks I started having severe pains and shakes. I thought were growth spurts or movements. No matter which way I lay or sat I was in pain. I decided to go GP in the morning. I was told i possibly was coming down with flu and baby was moving around. I had a scan which detected high amniotic fluid but baby had a healthy heartbeat and was ok. I was sent home for bed rest. Within 5 hours the pains became severe and breathing was intense and after urinating a little brown as i wiped. I called a neighbour because I lived alone. They rushed me into the car within 5 minutes my waters broke. The baby had pushed himself out, the pain had completely gone. We arrived at the hospital the medical staff were concentrating on me and left the baby unattended. He still had a heartbeat but for sure he was struggling to breathe. After a while moved him and gave him oxygen and told me he was in an incubator.
    I was waiting to be transferred to another hospital with better neonatal facilities to be told my baby had died.
    I'm angry that the GP didn't detect there was a problem in the morning and sent me home with panado for pain. Also that when we arrived at the hospital they left the baby unaided for so long.
    My baby is now buried.This all happened abroad and I keep thinking my baby might have survived if I was in the UK with family.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago. Im flying home to grieve with my family this week. It has been a nightmare experience i keep thinking i will wake up and he will still be growing inside me.
    What is wrong with me? Why did the baby decide to come early?
    Should I be worried about my health? Since then I've been having headaches, dizziness, some pain urinating,occasional diarroeia. Loss of appetite. Do i need to get examined when i arrive in UK?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Mar 2018 - 14:39

Dear Kim,
    I am so so sorry about what you have been through. I do hope that you are being well supported by your family and friends and that you will take time to grieve and think about your baby son before you consider going back to work.
    It would be a good idea to see a GP when you get home (Are you living abroad?) to check your blood pressure and possibly to take some blood tests but these symptoms are unsurprising and may go gradually as you recover. We don't always know why a baby is born so early, but if you do go on to have another pregnancy your obstetrician will discuss the options available to reduce your risk. This link discusses the options. https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-complications/prem-birth/treatment/cervical-incompetence
    You would be welcome to call us if you want to chat. We are here Monday to Friday 9-5pm to listen to your concerns and offer support. Take care of yourself, Best wishes, Tommy's midwives.

• By Tracie (not verified) on 4 Mar 2018 - 10:14

My waters broke at 24 weeks. I’m now 27+4 I’ve had steroids an sulphate magnesium. I got to feral medicine every two days for temp an growth checks. Baby’s now 21b today I’ve woke with a water infection burns when I pee. No change in colour of fluid loss no infection no temp can feel baby move just a wager jnfection whatbshiukd I do?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Mar 2018 - 13:47

Hi Tracie,
    I am sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult pregnancy at the moment. It is great to hear that you are being monitoring so closely. If you feel that you may have a urine infection then it is important that you see someone to be reviewed and have treatment if necessary. I would advise for you to call your GP or maternity unit to have your urine tested and a care plan in place for you. Best wishes, Tommy's midwives.

• By Kim (not verified) on 28 Feb 2018 - 01:59

I am 16 weeks and 6 days and was wondering how can you tell the difference between broken waters and an increase in discharge? I went to the doctor today because I was feeling an increase in “discharge” and I tested positive for a bacterial infection. I’m worried though that my water already broke.
    Also, if it hasn’t, what are the odds that it will becaus of the bacterial infection?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 28 Feb 2018 - 11:24

Hi Kim
    The best thing for you to do is go to your triage/day assessment unit in the hospital for an obstetric review asap. Some hospitals will perform a speculum examination and take a swab, others may have access to an expensive test that confirms if waters have broken or not by taking a sample from the vagina with a special test strip/paper and processing it in the machine to detect the presence of amniotic fluid or not. This is not available at every hospital though.
    You can also be treated for your infection if you need antibiotics are have not yet been given any. Please get yourself seen today!
    All the best!

• By monique (not verified) on 27 Feb 2018 - 08:50

Currently on bed rest after cerclage placed at 22 wks after thankfully finding out I had bulging membranes. Sadly only lasted 2 weeks before water broke . Went thru steroids/antibiotics . My uterus is quiet at All checkups but I'm so worried after my fluid being checked has been decreasing from 7.6 to 5.5 and currently at 3.2 at 26 weeks, though his heart rate is strong and i feel him move.I'm terrified now how will this effect baby's development? and how long can baby stay inside without developmental issues

Lost