Waters breaking early (PPROM)

If your waters break early, seek medical advice straight away as you could be at risk of premature labour.

PPROM infographic

Your unborn baby lies in an amniotic sac of fluid or ‘waters’. ‘Waters breaking’ means that the sac has ruptured or broken. Your waters normally break around the time labour is due but in around 2% of pregnancies they break early for various reasons (see below).

If your waters break before your baby has reached full term (37 weeks), the medical name for it is preterm prelabour rupture of the membranes, or PPROM. If this happens early, before the contractions start, it can (but does not always) trigger early labour.

This page deals with waters breaking early before 37 weeks. Read here about what to expect when your waters break AFTER 37 weeks.

Have my waters broken early (PPROM)?

If your waters have broken early, you will experience it as a trickle or a gush of water from your vagina. It is likely to continue leaking once it has started If it isn't too heavy you can use a sanitary towel to catch it. This will also allow you to see what colour it is, which will be helpful information for health professionals. It may be pinkish if it contains some blood, or it may be clear. If it greenish or brown go to the maternity unit as soon as possible. If it is heavy, you may need to use a towel.

Phone your maternity unit immediately for advice.

What are the risks if my waters break early (PPROM)?

If your waters break early the risks and treatment are dependent on the stage of pregnancy you are at.

• You are at risk of going into labour prematurely – the health risks for the baby of early birth are greater the younger they are.
  • If you do not go into labour, you and the baby are at risk of infection.

The doctors have to balance these two considerations. If the waters have broken because of infection, you and the baby have a high risk of getting the infection and you may need to deliver sooner to prevent this.

If the waters have broken but there is no infection currently present, you and the baby are still at risk but the immediate risk is lesser and your treatment will depend on your stage of pregnancy.

If you are under 24 weeks of pregnancy and the baby is born, sadly, it is unlikely the baby will survive.

If you are over 30 weeks and the baby is born, the likelihood of your baby surviving is much higher - over 95%

What will happen if my waters break early (PPROM)?

You are likely to have an internal examination. This will allow the doctor to look at your cervix and check:

• if the leaking fluid is amniotic fluid
  • if it is changing in preparation for labour
  • to check for infection by taking a swab.

You might have an ultrasound scan to estimate the amount of fluid left around your baby.

If only a very small amount of amniotic fluid leaks, it is not always easy to be sure whether your waters have broken.

• You may be advised to wear a pad and stay in hospital for a few hours to monitor the situation.
  • If you go home but continue to leak fluid at home, you should return to the hospital again.

If your waters are shown to have broken, you will be advised to come into hospital for at least 48 hours. You and your unborn baby will be closely monitored for signs of infection. This will include having your temperature and pulse taken regularly, and your baby’s heart rate will also be monitored.

Going home from hospital with PPROM

If there is no infection present you may be able to go home. You will be at risk from infection however, and you will need to self-monitor by

• checking that your temperature is normal (37 °C or less) every 4–8 hours
  • checking the colour of the fluid does not change by wearing a pad.

You should avoid having sexual intercourse.

Contact your doctor or midwife and return to the hospital immediately if you have:

• a raised temperature (more than 37 °C)
  • flu-like symptoms (feeling hot and shivery)
  • vaginal bleeding
  • if the leaking fluid becomes greenish or smelly
  • contractions
  • abdominal pain
  • if you are worried that the baby is not moving as normal.

Inducing labour or premature labour with PPROM

If you are past 34 weeks the doctor will weigh up the benefits of inducing labour before the due date to avoid the risk of infection with the disadvantages of being born premature, and may make a recommendation for early delivery.

You may need to stay in a hospital that has a neonatal unit and be monitored carefully for any sign of infection. You may also be treated with antibiotics, corticosteroids and magnesium sulphate (if you are less than 30 weeks) to help prepare your baby in case the are born prematurely.

Over 80% of women who have PPROM deliver their baby within seven days of their waters breaking.

What if there are no waters left in my womb?

Your baby’s amniotic sac has to have the right amount of amniotic fluid for the pregnancy to continue normally. If there is a break in the waters your baby will continue to produce amniotic fluid.

Before 23 weeks, the baby needs ‘waters’ to be present for their lungs to develop normally. Loss of water before this can lead to severe problems with lung development that can be critical after birth. After 23 weeks your baby does not need the amniotic fluid so much, so low levels of fluid may not be a problem in itself, but if the low levels are due to your waters breaking then there is a risk of infection.

Read more about intrauterine infection and chorioamnionitis

Causes of waters breaking early (PPROM)

Intrauterine infection is present in around a third of women with PPROM. In many cases however it happens without any infection being present. The reason for these cases is unclear, however it has been linked to heavy smoking (more than 10 cigarettes a day) in pregnancy

Discharge in pregnancy

Having more vaginal discharge during pregnancy is common, but speak to your midwife or doctor if you are unsure about any increase or change in your vaginal discharge.

1. RCOG (2012) Information for you When your waters break early, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
  2. J David, Steer P et al (2010) High risk pregnancy, management options, Elsevier Saunders
  3. RCOG (2006) Preterm Prelabour Rupture of Membranes, Greentop guideline 44, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
  4. England MC, Benjamin A, Abenhaim HA (2013) Increased Risk of Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes at Early Gestational Ages among Maternal Cigarette Smokers. Am J Perinatol. 2013 Jan 17

Last reviewed on October 5th, 2016. Next review date October 5th, 2019.

Comments

• By Dc (not verified) on 13 Jun 2019 - 11:25

I am on baby number 3, and pregnancy number 5. But I wanted to pray for you all and also give you some hope. My son who is now a healthy 7 yr old was my 2 Nd pregnancy after an early miscarriage with him my waters broke at 30 weeks no infection but mixed advise to induce after a scan it was also confirmed he was extremely small after advice from three different consultant s I decided to take the steroids and go home and rest! I saw a consultant weekly and had baby monitored every couple of days by midwife. I also took my temperature regularly and I naturally went into labour at 33 weeks he was 3lb when born and spent three weeks in neo natal because of the steroids he was born breathing and I got to hold him first because of weight and feeding issues we stayed in hospital till he got to 5 lb. Like I said he is now a healthy 7 year old and is one of the biggest in his class lol! My 3rd pregnancy was miscarriage at 14 weeks no reason just started to bleed. My 4 th pregnancy with my now 18 month old girl I went all the way no complications she was born on her due date but was a flat baby and developed sepsis but after 5 days in hospital came home and has had no complications since. My advice is to try not to worry get as much advice and asked lots of questions never be afraid to ask for a different opinion and somewhat trust that everyone wants the same thing a healthy mum and baby, good luck to you all P.S I must be crazy doing it all again currently 21 weeks with pregnancy number 5 hopefully baby number 3 !!!

• By Jessica (not verified) on 9 Jun 2019 - 17:44

Hi, I had a gush if water with blood 5 days ago. Was told it was heavy discharge and urine and to go home. Something was telling me it wasn’t right. I demanded more tests and turned out my waters are breaking. We have a scan tomorrow to see how much fluid I have lost. I’m hoping to god that I can keep her in for as Long as possible. Am I being silly hoping for this ? Or have people had healthy babies with the same experience ?

• By Christine Kerub... (not verified) on 5 Jun 2019 - 22:51

My waters broke 3 days ago and I immediately rushed to hospital. They performed an ultrasound and luckily the baby was fine except for the low amount of amniotic fluid.They performed tests and found out I had a bacterial infection which was the cause of the rupture. I'm now on steroids and antibiotics in hospital bed rest for the next five weeks for my lil angel to turn 34 weeks and then they induce me. The fluid still gushing out but I'm taking 5 L of water daily to keep myself hydrated. No pains or crumping but the baby has minimal moments. They keep checking the baby heartbeat and my pulse, pressure,temperature and blood tests.Hoping for the best.

• By Lelethu Matomela (not verified) on 6 Jun 2019 - 19:02

Im on the same thing , i was admitted last week Tuesday when i had 28 weeks and now im on 29.

• By Dee (not verified) on 31 May 2019 - 12:11

I had PROM At 26 weeks 6 days today we are 27 weeks 5days and I am still heavily draining. Baby is at 1kg and they keep stopping contractions, we received the steroids a week ago and each day I hv been on antibiotics, I need to know if it is safe for them to allow baby to come at 30 weeks as I estimate I might be at 1.3 kg. Is there a chance baby can survive?

• By Sc (not verified) on 1 Jun 2019 - 00:33

Yes!!! Your baby could survive if born today. I’m now 25+3 and also ruptured and waiting. Drink a lot and stay in the hospital on bed rest. My friend just delivered a baby this week at 33 weeks whose water broke at 17 weeks and babe is good.

• By Safisha Denika ... (not verified) on 11 Jun 2019 - 15:04

Am having same problem as your friend but I haven’t leak any fluid and no one can tell me why my baby has so fluid around it or what’s the cause only thing the doctor is telling me is to terminate my pregnancy but my baby has a heart bet of 153

• By Kerry (not verified) on 15 Jun 2019 - 13:10

I am sixteen weeks. There is no fluid around my baby. The doctors want to terminate my baby but as long as it's heart is beating I will not do it. I will go on bed rest and drink a lot of water. I will trust in God to work a miracle. Be strong

• By Nomadouglas (not verified) on 14 Jun 2019 - 22:51

Hi there

I am a neonatal nurse and i know your beautiful baby will survive. Hope they are doing well x

• By Wanda (not verified) on 11 May 2019 - 19:34

My waters broke 5 days ago I’m currently 34 weeks 4 days and I was kept in hospital for three days monitoring baby and myself for any infections and changes to baby I was given two steroid shots and antibiotics to keep any nasty infections away, I am now at home on antibiotics and daily trips to the hospital to check baby’s fluid levels and CTG scans. Booked in for two weeks time for c-section. I’m praying all is going to continue to be okay.

• By Megan (not verified) on 29 Apr 2019 - 11:39

Hi, I had PPROM at 30 weeks and delivered my daughter at 31 weeks. She is now 17 months old and very happy & healthy. We are thinking about trying for another baby soon and I'm curious about whether anyone has carried to full term in subsequent pregnancies after experiencing PPROM in an earlier pregnancy.

• By Saki (not verified) on 16 May 2019 - 05:55

Yeah my first pregnancy was early too due to Cholestasis. I delivered at week 37. now I am 34weeks and so far no issues. My older son was born healthy and just turn 2 he is good and healthy. I was so scared that I will get Cholestasis again but so far so good. Good luck!

• By Tiffany (not verified) on 28 Apr 2019 - 08:13

Hello! I am currently going through the same thing. I'm having twins and twin A ruptured about 5 days ago. I'm still leaking fluid, although the amount seems like it changes daily. I've been putting my faith in the Lord and just hoping for the best possible outcome from this. They told me to go about my normal activities "and if it's going to happen it will". I wasn't comfortable with that, so we decided that I was going to rest as much as possible. I'm drinking a lot of water and currently praying for the best! I still feel my little ones kicking and moving frequently! Twin B appeared to be doing great- Twin A is my little guy, and I'm trying to do everything I can for him. I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers as well!

• By Sonya Martinez (not verified) on 18 May 2019 - 02:55

What ever happened with your twins?

• By Tiffany (not verified) on 4 Jun 2019 - 11:53

I'm in the hospital currently at 26 weeks and 3 days. As of yesterday I started having blood in the amniotic fluid too. I'm currently being monitored to see if it progresses or changes. I was admitted at 23 weeks. Honestly. I'm still terrified for my twins, but am keeping my faith, I just keep praying.

• By Hope (not verified) on 30 May 2019 - 19:34

God will see us through. Me too is having the same problem with me twins. So how far are you in now. And how are you doing .

• By Tiffany (not verified) on 4 Jun 2019 - 12:00

I'm 26 weeks and 3 days today. I recently started to have blood in the amniotic fluid as well, that began yesterday evening and hasn't seemed to slow down yet. I'm in the hospital being monitored and continuing to pray for the best. I'm nervous for the twins, but know the Lord will see me through. How are your twins?

• By Annie (not verified) on 27 Apr 2019 - 00:50

My waters broke
    At 22weeks 3 days I was in hospital for a week they didn’t give me anything to help the baby’s lungs they only
    Give me pain killers to
    Help with the pain my baby girl passed away the night before I delivered her
    I was
    Wondering should they have
    Helped me more
    Thanks

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 04:10

I was

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 19 Mar 2019 - 04:00

I was 20 week 2 day pregnant I went for 20 week scan and radiologist found that my cervix is open and has full fluid around then I admitted to hospital and after 7 hours I had been taken to theatre for surgery to stitch cervix but doctor told that cervix is 6cm open and it is unable to perform stitch then I admitted to the hospital next morning doctor confirmed cervix is dilated to 10 cm and next day when ultrasound is performed it is observed that cervix is getting closed and bag has full fuild. After that doctor said when I urinated they have done test on that they found water content in that but I am still confuse how is it possible if I was having full water. Doctor asked me to terminate pregnancy and I had dilivery at 20 week 4 day . I am still thinking was it possible to prolong pregency and save the child as water was available in bag and cervix was getting closed and there were no sign of infection.

• By Anonymous im 25... (not verified) on 3 May 2019 - 19:55

Im getting titings and been put on a drip for my baby.

• By Iqra (not verified) on 14 Mar 2019 - 00:42

39 weeks today
    I had u/s yesterday. The AFI was 8.4. But i hadn't see a discharge before
    doc has recommended a c section on 15 march 2019. Today i have a watery discharge (isn't too much) yet. Can i wait for one more day to go with this much fluid and discharge? Or should i ask my doc to have a c section today?

• By Ashley (not verified) on 13 Mar 2019 - 22:32

I’m very scared. I woke up I thought I had to pass gas and when it pass a lot of water glush out. I didn’t think anything of it I thought I wet the bed. I got clean up and sit on the side of my bed once I stood up water glush out again. I went to the Maternity unit, and they did a test and told me my water broke. Did a ultrasound and said it wasn’t no fluid. I’m not in pain I didn’t have Contractions so I’m lost. They sent me home and I go to the doctors tomorrow. This has been the worst day of my life. Do babies survive this?? Has anyone had a Healthy baby after they’re water broke? Please pray for me. Praying for every mommy that’s experienced this

• By Shaday (not verified) on 20 Mar 2019 - 13:11

In 2017 my water broke at 18 weeks, I too lost all of the water. My baby didn't survive but that doesn't mean yours can't and won't. Yesterday, I was admitted for my water breaking... again... this time I'm 25 weeks. I've been put on hospital bed rest, given antibiotics and a steroid to help the baby's lung develop quicker. We are going to get there!

• By Haleemah (not verified) on 4 May 2019 - 21:22

U didn’t feel anything prior to your water breaking? An is this the first time this happened to u?

• By Ayanda (not verified) on 26 May 2019 - 19:59

Did your baby survive this time?

• By Janel (not verified) on 26 Mar 2019 - 04:08

Hey trust jesus. Dont stay in the hospital. Go home and take your tempature. And dont do vaginal examines. Bexause even if gloved it can still introduce bacteria into your vagina. and eat really good. No suger. Take immunity boosters from a healthy store that are a bit more expensive. And the stay in bed. As long as you can. Trust the lord and wait to see.

• By MamaTLG (not verified) on 27 Mar 2019 - 03:15

Oh mama...I am so sorry you are going through this experience. I ruptured nearly 10 wks ago w twin boys. As a homeschool wife and Mama my husband & kids are my life! Being pregnant w twins grows our family to 7. Yes! As a natural home birth mama and natural hospital birth mama I want to encourage you to gather GOOD information for PPROM. Our area hospital was inexperienced and had no idea how to handle our premature rupture. My homebirth midwife was right alongside my husband and I for our ER visit when the "gush" of water hapnd. In fact they told us we would lose our boys bc the fluid would continue to leak etc. We knew they were not correct and lacked the knowledge and education. That was at 19 wks gestation. I can only use my current situation to encourage you. I have been seeing a group of Maternal Fetal Specialists. They have been a source of knowledge as well as respecting my decline of staying in their hospital until our twins are born. We are now approaching 29 wks. With weekly home visits from my midwife and weekly visits to our specialist the boys are thriving and growing as they should. My waters are still on the low side but at the minimum level of amniotic fluid. The Drs are amazed at this. I 100% give the Lord ALL the glory through this. I have chosen to walk in faith for my babies and my future birth. I respect the Drs advice and their typical prognosis etc. But I've chosen to stand firm for our babies health to be at optimal levels and for my birth to be uninterrupted. We do take it one day at a time. Some days i leak a little more then others. I am on as much bedrest as possible w a large family. We are all adjusting to me being on rest and delegating more tasks and the help I need to keep me off my feet. Drink lots or purified/distilled water. Take your supplements/prenatals/fish oil etc. I hope that the brief sharing of my PPROM encourages you to hang on Mama and listen to your Mama heart. You truly know best. Do NOT be afraid to question what you're being told and challenge whomever you have involved in your care. Its up to you to advocate for your baby and you. We drive 2 plus hrs to see the specialist team we have chosen to oversee my care. Why so far? Because they valued and respected me from the 1st appt. Do what you need to Mama and hold on to faith in the Lord. He knows best. He made you and your precious baby. I am praying for you and all the PPROM Mamas out there. Hth. ❤ hugs to you dear one.

• By Lala (not verified) on 29 Apr 2019 - 05:31

I've just entered my 27th week and i have fluid leakage too and am taking antibiotics , am so scared , what else should i do?

• By Yas (not verified) on 29 Mar 2019 - 04:24

Same thing just happened to me today, this morning I started gushing fluid out and got scared so I right away rushed to l and d and they did a test and it came back positive for amiotic fluid but the nurse said it might also be semen from the inter course I had last night. But, I couldn’t stress enough to her that it was so much more fluid to even say it was that, she insisted I was pretty much over exaggerating and yeah I got sent home first time I stood up to put my clothes back on and more fluid gushed so I told the nurses and all they did was tell me they’ll do it all over again, the process, ultrasound etc.. and so after another hr they realeased me again and this time I was like fine you guys don’t want to monitor me I’ll keave. Soon after started feeling pain like cramps that I never experienced during pregnancy. And now they told me resume regular activity. As if idk that my amiotic sac ruptured even if it’s just a little bit, fluid is coming out with movements I make. What am I to do, wait it out... I’m 34 weeks 5 days...

• By Emily (not verified) on 1 Apr 2019 - 03:06

Well, I’m currently a long term resident at the hospital. I have a continuous leak since I was 26 weeks pregnant. There’s no reason for it. Even specialist says it just happens. I’m healthy, no medical conditions and no drug use , no alcohol, no smoking. But, they keep me in hospital bc of the risk of infection is high when you rupture. I received 2 shots of steroids, 48 hours of iv antibiotics then moved to oral for 7 days.So, I’m very confused why your dr did not admit you. I feel okay. No contraction but I do still leak. Good thing is that baby is continuously making fluid bc it is just urine from the baby. Girl, drink a lot of water and eat a lot of protein and juicy fruit. I’m 29 weeks and they want to get me to 34 weeks. But, so far so good. I would def talk to your dr or just go to hospital. Bc you don’t want to have an infection. Best of luck to you and your baby.

• By Zel (not verified) on 21 Apr 2019 - 23:55

I am currently a resident at the hospital too. I experienced PPROM at 29 weeks 2 days. Was admitted, given corticosteroids over 48 hours period, anitbiotics orally and by IV for 7 days. The fluid leaks now and then. There is sufficient fluid for baby. I am monitored daily to ensure the health of baby and I. The doctors intend to keep me to 34 weeks then do my CS delivery. I am drinking lots of water daily. I PRAY a lot. GOD HAS BEEN KEEPING US ALL THIS WHILE SO I KEEP TRUSTING HIM. Live by faith in GOD. Baby would be well.

• By Sehrish (not verified) on 27 May 2019 - 10:39

Today is my tummy is very hard and I didn't felt my baby's movement till yet except morning due to hardness of my tummy plz let me know I m worried

• By Bre (not verified) on 5 May 2019 - 01:22

Hi Ashley, my water broke at 16 weeks on March 31st and was informed that my baby would not survive although it still had a heartbeat. We were told to terminate the pregnancy to avoid infection. But after doing research, my husband and I saw many stories of women who experienced the same thing and went on to have successful pregnancies. Again, with our baby still having a heartbeat, we refused to terminate and just prayed taking one day at a time. Well, I’m 21 weeks pregnant with a boy! My waters have resealed and the waters are full and it’s a miracle!! My husband and I are so happy we didn’t listen to the doctors who had no faith and wanted to end our baby’s life. If it can happen for me, it can happen for any woman, just have to stay strong and positive!! Best of luck!

• By Heather Alford (not verified) on 19 Feb 2019 - 22:39

Currently in the hospital my water broke at 32 wks and 5 days. I have no fluids left in my womb but they said they want to keep me pregnant till 34 weeks but if I go into labor they will let me deliver. I've had two steroid shots. I'm freaking out as I want to make sure her lungs will develop properly without fluids. This is my Fourth, my other girls were born at 40, 36 and 6 days and 37 and 6 days. I've never had this happen before and it's so scary!! Will my body let me go another week without any fluids?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Feb 2019 - 15:06

Hi Heather - they will keep a close eye on your baby and if the heartrate changes, then they might consider delivering you earlier if the baby is no longer happy in there without waters. Ask to have a chat with the Dr on the ward round and the midwife caring for you today, as they will have a clearer clinical picture than me answering you here with much less information and background. All the best, Tommy's Midwife

• By Danielle (not verified) on 18 Feb 2019 - 19:00

My water bag broke at 22 weeks and 4 days im still in the hospital on bed rest and now 23 weeks and 3 days my white cells level is down so a good sign now my water level is at 2 when i was at 7 fluid so im just trying to b as hopefully as optimistic about this situation and that i can keep her in a longer

• By Jelly oakley (not verified) on 7 Mar 2019 - 11:12

How are you guys holding up? I am currently in the hospital staying as optimistic as possible. Need to reach out to others going through the same thing.

• By Chrissy (not verified) on 28 Apr 2019 - 20:52

Hey guys, I am currently in the hospital on bedrest due to my water breaking at 23 weeks. I am being closely monitored with daily temperature checks and blood pressure checks. When first arriving I was givin magnesium through an IV as well as clyndomicin. Today I was taken off IV’s and only givin antibiotics orally. I went to the bathroom today and saw light bleeding with mucus. I am terrified, but the doc says that will happen with a rupture I will soon be 25 weeks and I want to hold on to my baby to at least reach 34 weeks. I drink a gallon of water a day to try s d replenish the amniotic fluid lost, but I continue to leak. Has anyone else gone through this exact scenario? And if so should I be really concerned about the light blood and mucus?

• By AA (not verified) on 15 Feb 2019 - 21:42

My water broke at 19 weeks. Doctors advised me to terminate the pregnancy but i couldn't. I've been home on bedrest (drinking as much water as i can!) since then and I am now 21 weeks and 6 days. at last week's ultrasound it seemed as if the fluid had returned to normal. but now i am leaking again. this is my first pregnancy, and all i want is to deliver my baby healthily. this is the toughest thing i've gone through in my life. :(

• By Veronica (not verified) on 25 Feb 2019 - 05:27

Hi AA,
    I’ve had the same thing happen. I’m on my 5th day in hospital. The doctor was also talking termination with me but I needed to try! I’ve been on antibiotics to stave off infection and have a scan tomorrow to see if the fluid levels are dropping still which I imagine they are given the discharge in experiencing. I’ve cried more than I ever have in my life BUT I’m feeling more comfortable with the decision of waiting it out so I know I gave it everything I’ve got. If the baby has no amniotic fluid, I’ll deliver her and likewise if I become unwell. Otherwise I am going to sit and wait and hope like hell im one of the very lucky few that get through this! I know exactly how you feel! Hang in there x

• By S.k (not verified) on 8 Mar 2019 - 13:52

I too am experiencing a similar case as yours. I am pregnant with di/di twins and one of the amniotic sac has been rapture the sac if fully intact and fine. I went to the Er immediately after realizing I that water was broken. After doing several sonograms and cervical test they told me the fluid in twin b sac has gotten really low. This deeply saddened me because I know the risk of having low amniotic fluid. The doctors gave me the results and gave me options but I didnt make any sudden decision I transferred to the hospital I am affiliated with and they too several test and sonograms. Sigh, sadly the results were the same but even more specific. They told me that twin B which was on top of twin A has lost a lot of fluid and the chances for survival or really low . The options were termination of both or just wait to see before making a decision. I decided I did not want to terminate and I am choosing to take my chances towait. The doctors says this is rare case that twin be sac has ruptured because normally it would be the twin A that ruptures since it closer to the cervix (as they explained). They decided to discharge me and told me to follow up if I get any fever or feel pain etc. At this point I am overwhelmed and distraught I couldn't believe this is happening. But it is. I am keeping faith alive and I am praying for both of my babies I want them both to survive and live a healthy life. I am just taking it day by day and keeping hope alive.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 May 2019 - 03:51

Hi. Just wanted to check how are you doing and the babies?

• By Tiffany (not verified) on 6 May 2019 - 02:55

I have the same thing right now with my di di twins. I pray that you had an excellent outcome. I've been praying for mine too. My amniotic fluid started leaking at about 20 weeks, I'm now at 22 weeks just trying to keep faith and do everything I can for these babies!

• By Paula (not verified) on 30 Mar 2019 - 08:26

Hi Veronica, I ruptured around same time. I went to ER with contractions dilated at 1 cm but then it subsided. I am currently at 23 wks 3 days at home on bed rest. I lost all fluid and have had a three bleeding episodes twice with clots but nothing heavy. I will be admitted for hospital bed rest in 4 days here in the U.S. Did you regain fluid? How are you holding up? I'm terrified at what may happen. I've read some success stories even with ruptures this early. It seems they eventually regain some fluid to lose again but my baby is breech so whatever she makes I likely lose right away. I began to think this isn't meant to be but my partner got extremely upset when I expressed my fears and possible termination. I know odds are not good but I couldn't bring myself to say the words to terminate especially without his support. Now, there's no turning back and I'm terrified and afraid for my baby's outcome.

• By Donnah Oloo (not verified) on 27 May 2019 - 14:24

Have faith in God dear.

• By Bee (not verified) on 6 Feb 2019 - 07:27

When my water broke my obgyn told me its impossible for the baby to survive so they induse me and i gave birth to a beautiful baby girl which she survive gor 15 then passed on.im still hurt angry and has lot of questions..but still have hope for another pregnancy to go well...and i think im ready for another cycle as it was an ivf pregnancy...

• By Catherine (not verified) on 16 Feb 2019 - 09:47

Hi my waters broke at 20 weeks and was told I was 3cm dialated and labour was imminent. I was admitted to the labour ward and was terrified. I didn’t want to go thro natural labour and begged for it to induced. A very lovely midwife held my hand and stated she had seen many miracles and don’t ever give up hope. I had never slept so soundly as I did that night,my husband slept on the floor who also agreed strangely enough. I left hospital that day but did have to make a 3hr travel everyday so myself and son could me monitored for infection. I was advised from day 1 and everyday afterwards that I was being highly irresponsible for carrying on with the pregnancy. I chose to ignore this and left it in the hands of god. I went full term and only needed a c section after my son had turned last minute. My son is a beautiful healthy 7 yr old. This was my last pregnancy at the age of 40 and I am so greatful to the wonderful midwife who calmed me down and said never lose hope. I hope my story gives people hope. Thanks

• By Monika (not verified) on 5 Feb 2019 - 02:05

Hi, I’m 32weeks now with mo/di twins girls. Planned CS for 21.2.19.
    At week 21-diagnosed TTTS stage4-laser done in UCLH and was succeful, now only minor heart problems at recipient.
    At week 23-I was diagnosed with preeclampsia, but all symptoms reversed ...
    Then SIGUR and TAPS first symptoms but yet again-all went back to normal... so-very “challenging” pregnancy...
    Now, at regular scan I was told that there is a leakage at baby donor and she doesn’t have ammonia fluid. I was given steroids and sent home, tomorrow-second injection. I live 1.5h drive from Oxford, where I should have my planned CS. I’m concern that it would be safe for babies to to the CS even tomorrow, not to wait to labour will start... but don’t know if and how to speak to doctors???they saying that if all
    Will be ok, I could still do my planned CS at week 34... but is it safe for baby to stay so long with no waters? What if the action will start and I won’t be able to make to hospital? Trying not to panic, and believing all
    Will be ok, but I feel inside I should push for CS to help my babies???

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 Feb 2019 - 12:05

Hi Monika,
    Sorry for the delay in responding to your query and your situation may have changed now. However if you would like to discuss this then please do email us [email protected]