Pregnancy calendar

weeks pregnant

16 weeks pregnant - all you need to know

Your baby is now about the size of a lemon.

16 weeks infographic.

What does my baby look like at week 16?

Did you feel a little flutter? Perhaps a bubbling sensation? This could be your baby moving! Don’t worry if you haven’t felt anything like this yet though - it’s still early days. Read more about baby's movements here.

Your baby’s nervous system continues to develop, and the muscles in their tiny limbs can flex. They can make a fist and might even grab and pull their umbilical cord.

If it’s your second pregnancy you might feel them sooner.

If you could see their face, you might be able to see them making facial expressions, like a frown or squint. They can’t control these facial muscles yet though.

Your pregnancy symptoms in week 16

Varicose veins in pregnancy

Pregnancy hormones can make your veins stretch. This, together with the increased blood supply to your skin, can lead to varicose veins.

Cramping in your legs?

If you’re being kept awake at night by sudden sharp pains in your leg, try gently exercising your legs, ankles and feet during the day - and see if that prevents it.

Are you suffering from a headache, indigestion or faintness?

Here’s our guide to 10 common pregnancy complaints (and how to avoid them).

Don’t lie on your back after 16 weeks

After 16 weeks, lying - or exercising - on your back can sometimes cause low blood pressure and dizziness. Try to avoid lying on your back for long periods of time. If you do a class like yoga or pilates, simply let your instructor know so they can adapt exercises for you.

Find out more about what exercise you can do in pregnancy.

What to do in week 16

Relationships and pregnancy

You might be relieved that you have got this far. But you might also be thinking about how life may change for you and your relationships. If you’re in a relationship, take some time with your partner. When your baby is born, quality time alone together will be limited for a while.

If you’re feeling anxious about the pregnancy or any other issues it’s also worth taking some time out to talk about your feelings with someone close to you. Ask your midwife about any pregnancy-related concerns you might have. Alternatively you can call the Tommy's PregnancyLine and speak to one of the midwives on 0800 0147 800; or email us at midwife @tommys.org.

If you're struggling to cope with your feelings, tell your midwife or doctor how you feel.

You may also want to complete your pregnancy and post-birth wellbeing plan. Our tool is designed to help you think and talk about your mental wellbeing during and after pregnancy.

Second antenatal appointment

When you’re about 16 weeks pregnant, you’ll have a second antenatal appointment with your midwife to check baby size and fetal development. You may also get to listen to your baby’s heartbeat.

At this appointment, you may also get the results of any blood tests you had at your booking appointment.

“Hearing my baby’s heart beat was wonderful and so reassuring. I miscarried my first baby and the midwife explained that any time I was worried, we could have a listen in. This was very comforting to know.”

Sara, mum of two

At each antenatal appointment from now on your midwife will take your blood pressure and check a urine sample for signs of increased protein. These are ways to make sure you’re not at risk of developing pre-eclampsia, which is a serious pregnancy condition. They will also measure your baby, checking on growth.

Don't forget to bring your pregnancy notes with you.

NHS Choices . You and your baby at 13–16 weeks pregnant’, : http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-weeks-13-14-15-16.aspx (Page last reviewed: 28/02/2017  Next review due: 28/02/2020)

Lennart Nilsson (2009) A Child is Born, Johnathan Cape, p.170.

NICE (2008) Antenatal care for uncomplicated pregnancies,Clinical guideline [CG62] Last updated: January 2017. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/cg62

RCOG (2006) Recreational Exercise and Pregnancy: Information for you, London, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/pregnancy/recreational-exercise-and-pregnancy.pdf

Last reviewed on June 25th, 2018. Next review date June 25th, 2021.

Comments

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Apr 2018 - 01:52

My last period was December 24 of last year and I am 15 weeks and 3 days today so you should be just a day shy of me. Congrats to you

• By Bia (not verified) on 30 Mar 2018 - 13:04

Now a days sometimes I fell as something is pussing my belly outwards from different areas but only once or twice in a day and for only some mommemts and on different areas
      What is this
      Gas , baby movement or anything else?
      Plz reply

• By Midwife @Tommys on 4 Apr 2018 - 09:13

Hi Bia
      It sounds like you are starting to feel the first few fetal movements, this can occur from around 16 weeks onwards. Movements can feel like flutters, or rolls or little kicks. All of these are normal. If you are ever concerned by the movements you are feeling, then it is sensible to visit your local maternity unit triage/day assessment unit. Please take care
      Sophie ,Tommy's Midwife

• By Priceless (not verified) on 20 Feb 2018 - 12:34

Hi didi 16 weeks pregnant and getting severe pains in womb

• By Midwife @Tommys on 21 Feb 2018 - 10:37

Hi Priceless
      Please take yourself into hospital urgently to be seen by a midwife and doctor if you are having severe pains in your tummy! You need to be reviewed. Please take care of yourself and don't for get your notes.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 2 Feb 2018 - 18:20

Hi Tom , my last menustral period was in August don’t know the actually date but haven’t had a period since then . I’m scared because I didn’t know I was pregnant this whole time until I started feeling symptoms . I go for my first appointment next week . I would like to know how many weeks ahead am I ? And if I’m okay?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Feb 2018 - 09:52

It is possible that you are anything up to 25 weeks pregnant if your last period was mid August. Best advice is to wait until your appointment this week and see a midwife who will be able to advise you.

• By Eve (not verified) on 30 Jan 2018 - 01:44

My last period was the 13th of October and we had unprotected sex the 22nd of October how many weeks am I and when will I be due. Please calculate for me...

• By Midwife @Tommys on 31 Jan 2018 - 11:13

Hi Eve, using your LMP of 13th Oct, you would be no more than 15-16 weeks pregnant.
      Your estimated due date with these dates would be around the 19th july 2018.
      If you have not already started your midwife care and had ultrasound scans, you really do need to make an appointment as you would be quite late in accessing your care.
      If you need to talk though what you need to do, you can call us on 0800 0147800

• By Mommyof5 (not verified) on 3 Feb 2018 - 15:30

My lmp was also oct 13th. I just made 16 weeks yesterday and I am due July 20th

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Mar 2018 - 07:15

You are 20 weeks.. baby due friday 20th july

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 7 Dec 2017 - 11:44

I married july 15 th and we had unprotected sex on the 17th of July and went for a pregnancy test on 30thAugust, which tested positive.the doctor said I was 6 weeks two days cos My last menstruation was 26th June.how do I know my due date?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 7 Dec 2017 - 14:09

Hi, Thank you for your comment.

As a rule, you can take the day of your last period 26th June, add 9 months and then add 7 days. This will give you a due date of around the 2nd April.
      This would make you around 23 weeks and 5 days today. If you need any further information please email the Tommy's Midwives on [email protected] Hope this helps, Take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 4 Nov 2017 - 20:11

Hi just wondering is it normal to have all round bell pains I've had them a little longer than 24 hours now and still having them I was up half the night as couldn't get comfortable is this normal or should I be worried I'm also havig a fever with this and headaches?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Nov 2017 - 14:49

As you are pregnant it would be sensible to see your GP if you have fever, headache and pains. Rest may be your best option but your GP would be able to assess you and advise. In the meantime remember to keep yourself well hydrated. Best wishes

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 21 Oct 2017 - 08:42

Hi, I had my dating scan at 13weeks and then booked in for my 20 week scan.! I opted for the DS test and we came back not high risk but following this we received 2 scans for February and March.. (We're due mid April) What are these scans for?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 23 Oct 2017 - 11:44

Hi, This may be appointments sent in error. As long as you have the anomaly scan booked for around 20 weeks this will enable you to check whether any further scan appointments are needed. Good luck x

• By Chloe (not verified) on 26 Oct 2017 - 23:20

Hey. I'm also due mid April. Also had a ds test and come up low risk. I have also been sent scan for Feb and march, these are growth scans as cosultant believes my previous hday birth weight of 7lb was small ? And because of my bmi. But hey, I get to see my baby twice more lol. If you've had a child previously you might have growth scans?

• By Rose (not verified) on 16 Oct 2017 - 05:47

Hello am 16 weeks pregnant and my problem is that I don't feel

• By Midwife @Tommys on 16 Oct 2017 - 11:35

Hi Rose, Not all of your message came through but presume you are worried that you are not feeling much movement at 16 weeks. It is not uncommon at this stage. Many women will first feel their baby move between 16-24 weeks, so you have only just come into this rough bracket. You will begin to feel gradual flutters, bubbles, movements soon. So please don't worry at this stage. Every women experiences movements at a different time/pattern. Please take good care of yourself

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Oct 2017 - 00:41

I had my last period on July 1st I went for the ultrasound they said that I am 15 weeks 6day how

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Oct 2017 - 10:25

Hi, Thank you for your comment.
      When calculating the gestation of a pregnancy, we take the first day of the last period as the starting week, so if your last period was the 1st July then you should be around 15-16 weeks which you are on your scan. We include the first two weeks before conception when dating a pregnancy, so you may have expected to be 13-14 weeks but including these 2 weeks, you are 15-16 weeks like your scan has said. Hope that this helps but if you need further explanation then please contact the Tommy's Midwives on [email protected] or call 0800 0147 800 Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. Take Care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Shalini (not verified) on 9 Sep 2017 - 01:08

I had my first prenatal appointment on 23rd August. In the ultrasound scan I was told that I was 12weeks 6days. I had my first day of last period on 4th May. My calculations for the due date comes to Feb 18th. Please advise

• By Midwife @Tommys on 11 Sep 2017 - 16:20

Hi - Congratulations on your pregnancy.
      Using the ultrasound dating of 12+6 weeks on 23/08/17 - your estimated due date would be around 03/03/2018.
      The sonographers go by the measurements of the baby, so sometimes these estimated due dates and current gestation, can change by a few weeks. If you are unsure, please go back to your midwife/doctor/sonographer to clarify.
      Look after yourself

• By didi (not verified) on 6 Sep 2017 - 08:30

hy tommy i was asking how far i am..i last had my period on 14 may 2017..thn i went to a antenatal for a booking check-ups.last month on 23 august i had my first sonar scan they told me that m 3 months pregnant n i will gv birth on march 1st ,but whn i calculate frm august my 9 months is on february or am i wrong.?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 6 Sep 2017 - 09:16

Hi Didi
      Using the 14th May 2017 as the date of the first day of your last menstrual period, it is estimated that you due date would be 18th Feb 2018- so your calculations are correct.
      However, the sonographers will go by the measurements of the baby, so sometimes these estimated due dates and current gestation, can change by a few weeks. If you are unsure, please go back to your midwife/doctor/sonographer to clarify. Look after yourself

• By Annonymud (not verified) on 29 Aug 2017 - 11:20

Hi am 17weeks pregnant and my tommy is very big...how can i make it small??

• By Midwife @Tommys on 30 Aug 2017 - 13:18

Hi there.
      Every pregnant woman has a different shape and size bump at every week of pregnancy. There is no way to reduce the size of your bump and nor should you try. A growing bump is a good thing and you should enjoy it. Please get your midwife to measure your tummy at your next contact appointment to ensure that the growth is normal for your current gestation. It is common for your tummy to "pop" out and a bump now be present at this gestation. It is not cause for concern! Look after yourself!

• By berry (not verified) on 1 Aug 2017 - 04:07

is there any special ultrasound to confirm pregnancy or normal abdominal ultrasound will detect it ?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 1 Aug 2017 - 13:19

Thanks for your post. Ultrasound in pregnancy is a tool used by an experienced ultrasonographer. In early pregnancy the preferred method of examination is using a transvaginal probe. After the first trimester of pregnancy ultrasounds are abdominal. An embryo can be seen using the probe at 5 weeks and 2 days if the scan is abdominal visualizing the embryo is a week later (6+3 weeks).
      I hope this answers your question. If you have any others, feel free to give us a call weekdays 9-5 on 0800 0147 800 or email us at [email protected]
      Regards
      Anna- Tommy's Midwife

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 21 Jul 2017 - 17:56

my last scan was on 28/4/2017 nd d doctor said am 5 weeks+6days but don't know how many weeks am gone now

• By Midwife @Tommys on 24 Jul 2017 - 14:04

By my calculations you are now 18+2 weeks pregnant. This would suggest that you have missed your Nuchal scan at 11-14 weeks. Have you been referred to your local maternity unit? and have you had any routine blood tests? I would advise that you visit your doctor asap or self refer to your nearest maternity unit who will help you access the care that you need. Best wishes

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 16 Jul 2017 - 06:56

Hie Tommy I am not sure if really I am 16 weeks pregnant this is because I had my last period on 28th February can you please help me calculate how many weeks am I now?

• By Midwife @Tommys on 17 Jul 2017 - 14:57

If your last period was 28th February, this would suggest that you are 19+6 weeks pregnant. The date though depends on whether your menstrual cycle is regular and when you ovulated within your cycle. Please see your midwife as soon as possible to confirm your dates and arrange a scan for you.

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 27 Sep 2017 - 07:00

my last menturation is 4 jully

• By Midwife @Tommys on 27 Sep 2017 - 12:19

Hi, if you think you are pregnant and your last period was on the 4th July then you should be around 12 weeks and 2 days pregnant. If you think you are pregnant then you need to do a pregnancy test to confirm this. If you are pregnant then you should of hopefully been to see your GP so that they can refer you to the midwife also you may have had your first scan or this will be happening soon. Hope this helps, if you need any further help then you can always email the Tommy's midwives on [email protected] or call 0800 0147 800 Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. Take care, Tommy's Midwives x

• By Alima (not verified) on 4 Jul 2017 - 22:10

The last time I did scan was on the third of may 2017.And then my crl was 37mm. My Ega was 10wks +4days.My fhr was 148bpm and have not started antenatal nor gone for another scan so I dnt knw hw many weeks am gone now pls help me with d calculation

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2017 - 14:32

From the information you have given me I have calculated that
      you are now 19 weeks + 4 days weeks pregnant and should be having (or already had) your anomaly scan to check that the baby is growing and developing normally.
      We advise that it's important for both you and your baby's health to start having antenatal care (which includes at least 2 scans) from 10-12 weeks; please contact your chosen maternity unit or GP so that you can be referred as soon as possible so that you do not miss out on this care as your pregnancy continues.

I have attached a link with more information about antenatal care
      Please contact us for more advice or call our PregnancyLine 0800 0147 800
      Hope this helps

• By Alima (not verified) on 4 Jul 2017 - 21:59

D last time I did scan was on the third of may 2017 n av nt started antenatal yet .can u pls tell me hw many week I am now

• By Midwife @Tommys on 5 Jul 2017 - 12:19

I assume that the scan that you had on 3rd May was to date the pregnancy so that would have made you approximately 11-12 weeks pregnant at the time of the scan. The scan report would have include an estimated due date of delivery for the baby. At the moment you are probably about 20 weeks pregnant and should be having (or already had) your anomaly scan to check that the baby is growing and developing normally.
      We advise that it's important for both you and your baby's health to start having antenatal care from 10-12 weeks; please contact your chosen maternity unit or GP so that you can be referred as soon as possible so that you do not miss out on this care as your pregnancy continues.

I have attached a link with more information about antenatal care
      Please contact us for more advice or call our PregnancyLine 0800 0147 800
      Hope this helps

• By Refiloe (not verified) on 19 Jun 2017 - 21:33

Hi am 16 weeks pregnant I had my second visit today and the midwife told me she can't feel the baby is this possible

• By Midwife @Tommys on 20 Jun 2017 - 09:29

Dear Refiloe,
      thanks for your post. At 16 weeks we don't usually palpate your abdomen and don't measure the growth of your uterus until you return for an antenatal appointment at 25 weeks.
      At 16 weeks your growing baby is becoming increasingly strong and busy but only the size of a lemon so the midwife would not be able to feel your baby definitively as he /she is too small. This is normal for all babies at this early stage of pregnancy though. Keep up to date with your little one's development with our pregnancy calendar by following the link below.
      If you have an worries/queries in between midwife visits you can get in touch by posting, on Facebook, email us at [email protected] or call us on 0800 0147 800 weekdays 9-5 pm.
      Wishing you a very smooth pregnancy!
      Tommy's Midwives

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 25 May 2017 - 07:27

I have a very sharp pain on lower back , it coming and disappearing is there any problem with me, plz advice me on what to do.

• By Midwife @Tommys on 25 May 2017 - 11:27

Hi, with any pain in pregnancy it is advisable to be seen by a health professional. Urine infections, which can be common in pregnancy, can cause back pain as well as the pregnancy itself with all the ligaments stretching so it is difficult to say if there is a problem at this time. As you describe this as a sharp pain and it is coming and going, then we would advise that you seek medical advice from either your Midwife or Doctor. We hope that we will be feeling better soon, Take care of yourself x

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 14 May 2017 - 18:00

hi m 15 weeks pregnant.i m suffrng 4rm mouth water .whnch i have 2 spit all the day ..whch make me crazy.plz suggest any thing

• By Midwife @Tommys on 15 May 2017 - 16:36

So sorry that you are suffering so much. Mostly this condition called ptyalism gets better after 12 weeks pregnancy. There are a few options to try to help this.
      1. Try to eat small but frequent meals
      2. Carry a water bottle with you and take frequent sips.
      3. Try chewing gum or boiled sweets
      4. Brush your teeth frequently and use a mouth wash.
      Hope this helps x

• By Midwife @Tommys on 8 Feb 2017 - 10:12

I'm sorry to hear that you are a migraine sufferer who is now pregnant and experiencing debilitating migraines in pregnancy. A week long migraine with no respite with regular Tylenol and no improvement sounds awful.
      I hope that you can go and see your GP to discuss alternative medications and possibly be referred to a neurologist for treatment that is also safe in pregnancy.
      Taking soluble paracetamol at the first signs of an impending migraine with food, remaining well hydrated and eating small, regular meals may help. Trying to avoid becoming overtired and resting when you can is good practice for future Motherhood.
      Some women also choose to explore alternative therapies like massage, reflexology or acupuncture to manage their symptoms but please ensure that they are qualified practitioners who regularly treat pregnant women.
      I really hope that the migraines improve as your pregnancy continues.
      Tommy's Midwives

• By Anonymous (not verified) on 7 Feb 2017 - 21:10

I AM 16 WEEKZ PREGNANT. I NOTICE FOR THE LAST WEEK I HAVE HAD A MIGRAINE EVERYDAY. THE TYLENOL NO LONGER WORKS. I ALSO NOTICED THAT THE MIGRAINE GETS EVEN WORST AFTER EATING. IS THIS NORMAL?

• By MASERAME (not verified) on 12 Jan 2017 - 07:46

MY BABY IS NOT KICKING YET IS THE ANY PROBLEM

• By Midwife @Tommys on 12 Jan 2017 - 11:02

Hello,
      Many congratulations on your pregnancy! Please be reassured that it is ok if you have not yet felt your baby move at 16 weeks of pregnancy, most women feel their baby move between about 18-20 weeks however this is different for every woman. If you have not felt your baby move by 24 weeks then you need to speak to your midwife who may need to refer you to the fetal medicine unit.